• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

FBI: Record Gun Buying Hits 16th Straight Month

Kind of. A lot of states (around half?) issue licenses that are acceptable alternatives to a NICS check. (Basically you get the NICS check when the license is issued.) Still 4473, but no phone call.

If I remember right, at one point the Mass. LTC was really close to meeting the ATF's requirements to be an acceptable alternative and only lacked having the state seal on it or something, but the state also needs to formally request it from the ATF and that seems... unlikely.

When MA LTC lifespan went to 6 years it broke that, I think fed guideline for NICS bypass was 5 yrs tops for a license duration.

Also the acting MA AG has to request and approve it regardless..... and basically that's like full on RISITAS of ever happening in mass.

Lol, this is not necessary, if you did legwork you would not have to pay much (if any) extra on most guns. Maybe wait a little more, though.

This is what happens when you don't build relationships with dealers. Those of us who have, basically laugh at this.

That's probably true but also that relationship took no small sum of cash, some of it not spent on the best deals either, to develop.

That's probably true but also that relationship took no small sum of cash, some of it not spent on the best deals either, to develop.

With the exception of like maybe 2 guns in the past 10 years I've never paid more than gunbroker low avg + shipping equivalent... lol. Also a lot of shops of refusing to overcharge people on common s*** and sticking to their standard markup of cost + whatever.

With the exception of like maybe 2 guns in the past 10 years I've never paid more than gunbroker low avg + shipping equivalent... lol. Also a lot of shops of refusing to overcharge people on common s*** and sticking to their standard markup of cost + whatever.

That's good. I'm not buying anything other than maybe some glass for awhile but if someone wants that Glock 19 Gen5 or whatever, probably should be a $500 gun and now its a $650 gun at Buds or something, isn't an outrageous finders fee for "now" - and as we know its still about $300 less than our classifieds section, a "steal" :)

Lol, this is not necessary, if you did legwork you would not have to pay much (if any) extra on most guns. Maybe wait a little more, though.

This is what happens when you don't build relationships with dealers. Those of us who have, basically laugh at this.
I don't buy that many guns. To another point, I can buy ammo online so I don't go to dealers that often. I see your point though.

This NR author masquerades as a conservative critical of shabby Democratic efforts at gun control. With bits of truth sprinkled in his articles, he generally gets nowhere. He notes below, it isn’t about the guns, and then very accurately defines why those he criticizes have guns. Perhaps he would feel smugly vindicated writing a last article, saying “Ha! Murderous mobs are coming to kill me and my family. Was I right or what?”

Call me antinomian, will he... 😠

“In March 2020, more than 1 million background checks for firearms purchases were recorded in a single week for the first time since the FBI started keeping records. The million-a-week mark has been surpassed several times since then.

...that “Don’t Tread on Me” spirit matters to a people whose two great formative episodes were the Revolution and the frontier experience. That attitude is an important part of what has kept America free. But it also is bound up in some of the worst aspects of our national character: paranoia, our unarticulated antinomianism, our taste for political and religious extremism, and our horrifying addiction to violence. Americans are a murder-happy people — not only with firearms but with knives and clubs and hammers, with bombs, automobiles, and standing water.

But this isn’t really about the guns. It’s about a society that is, palpably, wobbling on the brink of something awful, with failing institutions, incompetent government, reciprocal distrust among rival social groups, and widespread simmering rage.“

Last edited:
This NR author masquerades as a conservative critical of shabby Democratic efforts at gun control. With bits of truth sprinkled in his articles, he generally gets nowhere. He notes below, it isn’t about the guns, and then very accurately defines why those he criticizes have guns. Perhaps he would feel smugly vindicated writing a last article, saying “Ha! Murderous mobs are coming to kill me and my family. Was I right or what?”
054b2f9c33dcb6131583609e60d0b68256751dd0def35e66006e213195b27fbf.png

Hat tip: Instapundit reader Evi L. Bloggerlady

From a comment about a 20-Nov'20 Surrender Dorothy-class Kevin Williamson article
evidently about how Trump voters should just bend over
and take Democrat felony election fraud in the shorts.

“Crime ridden America”??

Wat?
It's that same old "man behind the curtain" shell game. Regardless of politics, or crime for all that matter, going from 9.1 million firearm background checks in 1999, to 39.7 million in 2020 is major trend. Regardless of sales, it shows intent.

Statistics representing the number of firearms background checks initiated through the NICS from November 1998 to April 30, 2021

Technically, the Obama administration ushered in the greatest growth (+50%) from 14 million in to 28 million, and it never went back. If reasonably intelligent people can't see that as a wake up call - they're simple not keeping score. :D

Call me antinomian, will he... 😠

“In March 2020, more than 1 million background checks for firearms purchases were recorded in a single week for the first time since the FBI started keeping records. The million-a-week mark has been surpassed several times since then.

...that “Don’t Tread on Me” spirit matters to a people whose two great formative episodes were the Revolution and the frontier experience. That attitude is an important part of what has kept America free. But it also is bound up in some of the worst aspects of our national character: paranoia, our unarticulated antinomianism, our taste for political and religious extremism, and our horrifying addiction to violence. Americans are a murder-happy people — not only with firearms but with knives and clubs and hammers, with bombs, automobiles, and standing water.

But this isn’t really about the guns. It’s about a society that is, palpably, wobbling on the brink of something awful, with failing institutions, incompetent government, reciprocal distrust among rival social groups, and widespread simmering rage.“

I love how he uses his bully pulpit to whine but effectively does nothing about any of the shit he's bitching about. Also he's so far off base it's not even funny I mean think about the amount of guns in this country and the relatively small amount of crime compared to that number.... that would leave someone to believe that most of the people arming themselves aren't harming anyone else. If Americans were hell bent on "violence" then there would be a a good 20-30,000 more dead people based on "covid related violence" alone.

I don't buy that many guns. To another point, I can buy ammo online so I don't go to dealers that often. I see your point though.
Neither do I.
I however don't see the point in today's world of online everything..
Cultivating a relationship with a dealer translates to buying things. Period.
So spend money there. Then spend more.
You might. MIGHT get a favor.
Thanks but no thanks.
I'll pay for what I want upfront.

how is it possible for the numbers to keep going up when there are no guns on the dealers' shelves?
Plenty of guns where I have gone. Even the online dealers are starting to restock. Most pistols, rifles and AR stuff is easy to get.

certain things like 1911’s
are tough to find still.

how is it possible for the numbers to keep going up when there are no guns on the dealers' shelves?

If you can't find guns you're shopping at the wrong dealers.

There are some categories that are difficult- like 1911s, 22 LR handguns, or revolvers.... but for everything else, it's "around'. Some brands are hit harder than
others, etc.

Neither do I.
I however don't see the point in today's world of online everything..
Cultivating a relationship with a dealer translates to buying things. Period.
So spend money there. Then spend more.
You might. MIGHT get a favor.
Thanks but no thanks.
I'll pay for what I want upfront.

If you don't buy a lot of guns period (like avg 1 a yr or less) you probably won't get it. You're probably like one of my best friends whose a mega skinflint (He will gladly f*** over a local dealer to save even as little as 10 dollars, or so he thinks hes saving that) buys 0-3 guns a year, with emphasis on whatever the cheapest way possible is (usually from some skinflint site like puds, as well as exploiting any mil or LE discount he can get away with... and that works for him. I get that. Dealers win there too anyways on transfers, anyways.

You make it sound like its tithing at church or something though, it really isn't. [rofl] It doesn't usually take much.

Also with better shops the dividends are forever. I hadn't been in one of my fav shops for over a year and I came in with a gun I had bought from the guy a year and a half ago
because of a minor issue I had. Fixed, $0. With no admin bullshit on my part.

"Online everything" bullshit doesn't work for everyone. Particularly not with guns. Ironically right now is a time it is actually worse in many cases to buy a gun online vs
locally. There is less inflation via traditional distribution channels. Then again sometimes a forked strategy using both sources is necessary to really get what you want right
now. The good dealers will even tell you that. "get it wherever you can, transfer it in, ill take care of it" etc.

Back
Top Bottom