Father in law wants to give me his rifle? i want to keep it leagal.

Martinilover

NES Member
Ok So my father in law has a few rifles and pistols. He is an old timer and has had them for many years. We both live in MA but I am not sure his firearms have ever been registered with the State.
Because he is in his mid 80s and going into an assisted living facility he wants to give them to me. I have my LTC in MA as well as a C&R (never used). How can I legally take ownership if these firearms? Do I just need to file a FA-10 for each of them? or do I even need to do that?

Any advice would be appreciated.

What the hell, Work is slow today.

Few answers that would help: How many long guns/ pistols? What are the models of the pistols?
Regardless of the gun's statues, does your father-in-law have a MA LTC?
You can only EF-10 transfer 4/calendar year. The rest would have to be through a dealer, and you'd most likely be subject to the "MA special handgun list of doom"

As for the C&R I think you just have to record the transfers in your special book, but others on here know more than me.

FYI: Not to be grim, but inheriting guns is way easier, if you just want to wait...

What rifles? What pistols? You have your LTC be and your FIL wants you to have them. Put in car, drive home, bring in house.

There's a bazillion illegal aliens running around with many laws prohibiting illegal aliens and the federalies don't care.

Just borrow his guns, no need to fill out EFA-10 for that since you don't own them. Should the unfortunate day happens when he's no longer with us, then you can inherit them (however that's done... I did it by just driving Dad's long guns back home to NH, although that was a nerve wracking trip since I didn't want to get pulled over before reaching the NH border).

Oh, and I am most definitely not a lawyer.

while the legalities of transferring firearms from an estate has its advantages, I would not count on any estate to efficiently distribute property--or even do so predictably since disbursement of personal property is often left to the discretion of the executor or next of kin.

C&r what you can and fa10 4 this year and 4 next. Do the rest at ffl

Never listen to advice like this.

C&R transactions in the Commonwealth need to be FA-10ed, just like any other transaction. So C&R transfers DO count toward the four firearms your FIL can legally transfer FTF.

We’re talking about those guns your FIL wants you to store for him, right?

Last edited:
Im not sure if this is worded correctly been a while?
Your C&R means very little as far as State law goes. Although your I believe your violating Federal law if you circumvent state law by using your FFL 03 to acquire firearms? Then IIRC you need to log Any gun you have acquired in you bound book if its a C&R status.
Im not sure if this applies to FFL03 but again IIRC if you are in possesion of a fire arm for more than 24 hrs as a FFL 03 you are now in possesion and considered transfered.
If your looking to be as legal as you can. Take what can be to transfer at a FFL dealer? The others have your FIL do personal transfer if hes still licensed.
Or have him clearly will the guns to you now. Bring guns and copy of will home and put in safe.

People need to be careful throwing around the idea of "inheritance" if this guy wants to stay above board witht he law. Inheritance has a legal definition and has requirements to be an actual "inheritance"

Hopefully LenS pops in here to give the low down.

People need to be careful throwing around the idea of "inheritance" if this guy wants to stay above board witht he law. Inheritance has a legal definition and has requirements to be an actual "inheritance"

Hopefully LenS pops in here to give the low down.
Sorry but there are so many bad legal advice replies in this thread that I'm not going to bother.

Back
Top Bottom