Fatal Shooting in Worcester by Westborough LTC holder UPDATE: Guilty of Involuntary Manslaughter! 4-7 Year Sentence with 77 Days Credit.

Because Smith was deceased?
That, and because he wasn't charged with a crime (also a product of being deceased). The admissibility is based on how the information would be used. What I would expect is that it would be used to show that he was the aggressor, which is the whole defense. If it was simply used to show that he was a recreational user of drugs, then it would not be admissible because, among other things, it is not relevant.

Freggin A yeah it is!!!! It is relevant and it may speak to that party's aggression or impaired judgement. In some instances, it may speak to their delayed response to pain (punching out windows).

It was in the late 70's or early 80's when a Worcester police officer made the news for shooting someone, I think on a roadside traffic-stop.

He emptied his pistol (or probably revolver at that time?) into the guy before he dropped dead. There was public outage at the massive police response, but in the end the "victim" was high on PCP.

Some details might be muddled with time, but basically, there's that. Yeah.

" it's not abput the Law, it's about Optics, my defense attorney.... In the end, I mounted my own defense, ask for discovery, which was nonexistent or contradictory, Photoshop JPEG's submitted as evidence by the police, The problem is as we can see in the last four years what justice consists of, 'war by other means'

The wife and I are debating these.
This is what I have. WiFi connectivity would have been nice but it was a gift from the kids. It's simple to pull the card and sit down at the computer to pull the videos if i need them. I have it hard wired and it was simple to run the wire from the back camera to the front.

This is what I have. WiFi connectivity would have been nice but it was a gift from the kids. It's simple to pull the card and sit down at the computer to pull the videos if i need them. I have it hard wired and it was simple to run the wire from the back camera to the front.
Thanks, techie I am not so simple appeals to me. I asked in another thread if I need 2 cameras if I intend to film both front and rear?

And if you are gonna go the camera route picture quality matters.

The wife and I drove to Leominster Tuesday. In Lowell we were coming down Hollis Street and started rounding a corner. A service van on the side of the road and the driver jumps in and pulls right into the lane. Hard brake but no accident. Not a minute later we are taking a left onto the 495 on ramp when a women flies down the off ramp on the right and cuts across traffic taking a left and I'll bet a piece of printer paper would not have fit between our vehicles.

Then we are on 93 North going up to check on our camp. I am in the 2nd lane on the right doing 70/71. A car flies up and sits on my bumper and I'm like WTF the 2 left passing lanes are wide open. So I pull over to the first lane and I must slow to 60 as a truck is there but the tailgating flies on and I said to the wife that was all about he wanted me to get out of his way and he wasn't going to either of the 2 left lanes.

We don't put many miles on our vehicles these days but I said if we were still working and commuting we would be involved in many accidents these days and neither of us has been involved in a motor vehicle accidents for many, many years.

I told the wife, we better think about cameras.

Thanks, techie I am not so simple appeals to me. I asked in another thread if I need 2 cameras if I intend to film both front and rear?

And if you are gonna go the camera route picture quality matters.

The wife and I drove to Leominster Tuesday. In Lowell we were coming down Hollis Street and started rounding a corner. A service van on the side of the road and the driver jumps in and pulls right into the lane. Hard brake but no accident. Not a minute later we are taking a left onto the 495 on ramp when a women flies down the off ramp on the right and cuts across traffic taking a left and I'll bet a piece of printer paper would not have fit between our vehicles.

Then we are on 93 North going up to check on our camp. I am in the 2nd lane on the right doing 70/71. A car flies up and sits on my bumper and I'm like WTF the 2 left passing lanes are wide open. So I pull over to the first lane and I must slow to 60 as a truck is there but the tailgating flies on and I said to the wife that was all about he wanted me to get out of his way and he wasn't going to either of the 2 left lanes.

We don't put many miles on our vehicles these days but I said if we were still working and commuting we would be involved in many accidents these days and neither of us has been involved in a motor vehicle accidents for many, many years.

I told the wife, we better think about cameras.
The second camera mounts on your rear window. The cable tucks easily into the moulding and runs to the front and plugs into the main camera. The 3rd camera is attached to the main and covers the cabin, and since i am a part time Uber driver, I have it so if a passenger tries any shenanigans, I can have proof. It's the only time I have the microphone on.

The wife and I are debating these.

A must have these days IMO with the number of distracted and high/inebriated drivers. @GaryO is spot on with his posts.

Get a good camera and use good media cards in them. In both our vehicles they are hard wired to a switch so I have complete control when they are running.

PT. I dropped someone off at Logan and immediately got a trip back to Natick. I got hit in the Watertown area.
I don’t take them often but generally see those recorders in them….I hope most people just throw the uneventful footage away!!

I don’t take them often but generally see those recorders in them….I hope most people just throw the uneventful footage away!!
I only check the footage if something happens. If a person requests that I turn off the inside camera, I will. I don't keep the mic on unless I think the passenger is going to be a problem, if I suspect them before they get in the car, I cancel the ride. I don't put up with any nonsense.

A must have these days IMO with the number of distracted and high/inebriated drivers. @GaryO is spot on with his posts.

Get a good camera and use good media cards in mmthem. In both our vehicles they are hard wired to a switch so I have complete control when they are running.
I have two (different brands for redundancy)
Two front facing. One has rear. Both have GPS antennas
The mirror is a video/camera but it’s a factory thing and is not recording. (Do not buy the cheap dash cameras built into the mirror).
F7AD3E82-4064-4E83-979A-43B5E5BB7BFA.jpeg

According to court statements at a February 2023 court proceeding, Peckham became angry at the other driver and followed the car on Highland Street to the area of Boynton Street.

I certainly don't know if that is a complete and accurate recounting of the incident, but if true that might not help Peckham's case.

I certainly don't know if that is a complete and accurate recounting of the incident, but if true that might not help Peckham's case.
One would think if you followed a driver because you were upset at that driver for some rule of the road violation you may be considered the initiator.

Just as a reminder folks that run dashcams absolutely need to run high endurance micro sd cards... the normal ones will burn out/error and become read-only fairly quickly... and you dont want to reach for the recording just to find out that your dashcam has error-ed... 2 months ago.

Edit: Just search on Amazon "high endurance micro sd card" and pick a reputable brand

I only check the footage if something happens. If a person requests that I turn off the inside camera, I will. I don't keep the mic on unless I think the passenger is going to be a problem, if I suspect them before they get in the car, I cancel the ride. I don't put up with any nonsense.
do you have a sign that lets them know they could be or are being audio recorded?

An Uber is not a "public place" and MA is a 2 party consent state

My real estate listing contract had places I had to disclose if there were Ring type devices in the house and if they recorded

Untitled.png

"According to court records, Peckham and the other man had a verbal altercation that heightened."

It's best to back away and not shoot anyone, unless he's in the process of drawing on you. If you're carrying there's only one road you're going down if sh_t goes sideways. Just walk away.

do you have a sign that lets them know they could be or are being audio recorded?

An Uber is not a "public place" and MA is a 2 party consent state

My real estate listing contract had places I had to disclose if there were Ring type devices in the house and if they recorded

View attachment 864264
Good point. I told Uber that I record and supposedly that covers me in Massachusetts, but who knows.
So I have cameras in my house, I have them turned on when I leave and someone breaks in, are they going to sue me for unlawful recording?

Spare me the 34 pages, did the deceased actually break the shooters driver side window?

Lol if we knew that we wouldn't be here in this thread.

It's obvious the state is turtling on this one. Either because the truth doesn't get them the outcome they want, or they're out to try to figure out how to screw this guy.

Lol if we knew that we wouldn't be here in this thread.

It's obvious the state is turtling on this one. Either because the truth doesn't get them the outcome they want, or they're out to try to figure out how to screw this guy.
LOL, thanks, that issue will be a key point in the trial.

Good point. I told Uber that I record and supposedly that covers me in Massachusetts, but who knows.
So I have cameras in my house, I have them turned on when I leave and someone breaks in, are they going to sue me for unlawful recording?
If you, party #1, tell party #2 they are being recorded and they chose to stay, you have done your due diligence.
The whole 'i don't consent to being recorded' shows that they know they are being recorded. Staying there is their problem. IANAL.

LOL, thanks, that issue will be a key point in the trial.
The entirety of the case rests on whether the defendant acted in "proper" self defense.
Commonwealth v. Glacken, 451 Mass. at 167 ("To establish that the defendant did not act in proper self-defense, the Commonwealth must prove at least one of the following propositions beyond a reasonable doubt: (1) the defendant did not have a reasonable ground to believe, and did not believe, that he was in imminent danger of death or serious bodily harm, from which he could save himself only by using deadly force; or (2) the defendant had not availed himself of all proper means to avoid physical combat before resorting to the use of deadly force; or (3) the defendant used more force than was reasonably necessary in all the circumstances of the case.

might be an issue with uber given that the drivers are independent contracted businesses not employees, you are going to need to tell each driver

Back
Top Bottom