FAL Scope Recommendation?

MaverickNH

NES Member
I have a Imbel FAL and put an Ultrdot MicroDot 1.5x - 4.5x20 scope on it http://www.ultradotusa.com/ultradot_dist_blue_007.htm with see-through mounts attached to a cover. It turns out I didn't check the Eye Relief specs which are 101/103mm (1.5x/4.5), which makes it difficult to acquire quickly. If I don't index cheek to stock just right, I can't get a sight picture, even at 1.5x. I'm no scope expert and just have red-dot 1x sights on my other rifles/carbines (AimPoint CompM, etc.) and didn't/don't know enough to pick scopes.

I'm looking for another option that has 1x - 3x mag capability and a red-dot, but with Eye Relief that allows faster acquisition. I'm still interested in a see-through mount as well.

Any recommendations appreciated. As always, cost is an issue, but reliability and performance are, of course, essential.

Had you given any thought to the Trilux? The FAL has a specific mount that replaces the cover on your FAL and that accepts that specific scope. It's really the one that was made for the FAL. It's not a target scope, however. It's a combat scope if you're not familiar with it. It has an inverted pin (coming down from the top of the scope body) that uncovers a target under rapid fire. It's got fixed optics and is 4x. For low light situations, the reticle/pin is illuminated, originally with a Tritium source but now mostly with an LED.

Here's what they look like.

completely%20finished%20NZ%20fal%20%20800.jpg

This is the semi-auto inch version of the FAL of course but this scope was used on both.

Rome

Thanks! Original New Zealand Airforce lumber, to be exact. Tapco had it for sale way back when these rifle kits were flooding the market. That's a rack emblem on the buttstock. The killer is this. I believe I paid about $10 for it.....the lumber that is. Tapco only had a few and I lucked out. FYI That's a CAI receiver on an Aussie kit. It is a virtual tackdriver and super duper reliable.

Rome

Had you given any thought to the Trilux? The FAL has a specific mount that replaces the cover on your FAL and that accepts that specific scope. It's really the one that was made for the FAL. It's not a target scope, however. It's a combat scope if you're not familiar with it. It has an inverted pin (coming down from the top of the scope body) that uncovers a target under rapid fire. It's got fixed optics and is 4x. For low light situations, the reticle/pin is illuminated, originally with a Tritium source but now mostly with an LED.

The Trilux SUIT looks interesting. Do you really put your eye on the rubber eyecup and pull the trigger?

Yep. Stick you eyeball right in there. I also use a small removable comb on the stock to help with my orientation but you can use it without it. That scope tends to be a bit high.

It's mounting system is spring loaded. You can actually wiggle it on its mount if you try hard enough. Kinda like a shock absorbing system.

Now, understand that it's important to have a flash hider on that barrel that will work as good as the original ( if not using the original). That's because the little bit of extra compensation it provides against the felt recoil is critical to the operation of the trilux and your head. IF you remove the comp/flashhider, and then try to use the Trilux, you'll be in for a rude awakening. Trust me. I found out.

But, with the original comp or one that performs the same way, you'll be good to go and there little impact on your eye socket that the rubber bootie can't protect you from.

These scopes are becoming scarce, btw. A few years ago they were everywhere. Now you rarely see them for sale anymore. Most of them run around $200 or so for one in almost perfect shape if not unissued. The Israelis used them a lot, too.

Technically it's called a Trilux SUIT sight. SUIT stands for "Sight Unit Infantry Trilux". The Trilux refers to the light source which was a very tiny glass vial of tritium suspended in a plaster-like material that held it in place over the reticle pin. It has a 1/2 life of 25 years, however, and they are all expended. We've tried to have them replaced using archery trilux sights but are still working on it.

If you end up buying one, email me or post here and I'll post up the sight-in target for that specific scope. It's an 8-1/2 x 11 paper size, too.

Rome

They use to have a small battery powered LED that you could screw into the hole that held the tritium. Not sure if they make them anymore since the scopes have pretty much dried up.

B

Now, understand that it's important to have a flash hider on that barrel that will work as good as the original ( if not using the original). That's because the little bit of extra compensation it provides against the felt recoil is critical to the operation of the trilux and your head. IF you remove the comp/flashhider, and then try to use the Trilux, you'll be in for a rude awakening. Trust me. I found out.

Just about a year back I had the muzzel threaded and put on a Yankee Hill Machinery YHM-31 Phantom Flash Supressor http://www.yankeehillmachine.com/store/muzzle.html

It tames the recoil some but as I never shot a FAL with the original supressor/brake, I'm not sure how it compares. More supressor and less brake I'd bet. I'll see if YMH plans a combo Comp/Flash unit that I might swap in for the present unit.

The recoil of this family of SLR's is so low that putting your eye on the rubber cup is no problem. Shot my first one about 30 years ago. Quite a nifty invention.
The battery powered unit was available at Entreprise Arms some years back. That's where I got mine from.
Let's all give good Karma for Greg getting his Ironwood stocks soon. What do you say to that ol' pal?

Back
Top Bottom