Fact building

rommel

NES Member
I am in the process of writing my letter to my senator and representatives. I like what Ruger did to make it easy to be heard, but after a rep or senator gets a few of those generic letters then they become less meaningful. I want to send a brief, concise and accurate letter that I hope will just be heard. My thinking for the short term goal is to at least get a pause before they react. My thinking is we should be able to get most everyone on board to just slow down. It is ok for them to act, but they should never react. Time and much input is needed before laws can be written. They must be thought out, worded correctly, and most importantly be constitutional. The current laws which have been around for many years are ambiguous at best. They were not worded correctly or intelligently thought out. They are being interpretted now by the SJC. I think for now our goal should focus on slowing the process. Any intelligent legislator should be able to see that this does not have to get done hastily. That said, I need facts about why this should not go through so unitellectually. I think if we get them to slow down, then we have time to educate and reason with them.
For now this is what I got,
+ 7 rd mags is impractical to almost all legal gun holders now. (They do not make them)
+ 7 rd mags is impractical to almost all manufacturers now. (they do not make them)
+ rifles can not inadvertantly be catoragized with so called assault weapons (almost no violent crimes are commited with rifles.)
+ how can government make us throw away or sell for a loss property (magazines) which were legally bought, owned and posessed. How can they make someting illegal that was already deemed legal.
+ I know ignorance of the law is not an excuse, but how many law abiding citizens could unknowingly become felons by converting legal property into illegal property
+ If it is legal and constituional to own a firearm, why must you wait 1 month to buy another firearm, or even worse a component of the firearm that is necessary (magazine)
+ Mass already has some of the strictest laws in the country.
+ is this an action or reaction to a horrific event
+ What if maufacturer decides not to make 7 rd mags just for Mass, then our guns are useless.
+ Legislators are messing with ammendment rights without citing any proof that any of the proposed measures have any benefits (whole debate upon itself)

I am open to any other facts that could make a legislator give pause and think for a moment. I am not even sure about whether to preemptively attack the possible storage and insurance issues that may arise.

I'd keep it short and sweet, "vote yes, and I will work day and night to remove your a**h*** from politics. Publish my info on the web and we will publish all the information about you and your entire family ... oh, and read 2a."

I like "I believe in the constitution, I hope you do as well and will support it as such"

I like "I believe in the constitution, I hope you do as well and will support it as such"

Here is the problem with that statement, to a non supporter, they can believe in the constitution but limit or regulate it. From my personal life I find many people believe it is ok to own guns, but they still want serious regulations. I am trying to get legislators from arbitarily passing this crap just because. We need to get these people to actually realize the logistics of how they are voting

Here is the problem with that statement, to a non supporter, they can believe in the constitution but limit or regulate it. From my personal life I find many people believe it is ok to own guns, but they still want serious regulations. I am trying to get legislators from arbitarily passing this crap just because. We need to get these people to actually realize the logistics of how they are voting

you must be an engineer because you are trying to make a logical argument supported by facts. Like someone pointed out earlier today, most women and some men better respond to emotion. Those are the strings you should tug. Those "gun free zones" are killing fields where criminals roam unopposed, put it like that and forget the dry statistics. When people put themselves into shoes of a defenseless victim, they want a gun.

- - - Updated - - -

you must be an engineer because you are trying to make a logical argument supported by facts. Like someone pointed out earlier today, most women and some men better respond to emotion. Those are the strings you should tug. Those "gun free zones" are killing fields where criminals roam unopposed, put it like that and forget the dry statistics. When people put themselves into shoes of a defenseless victim, they want a gun.

As Boris says, "Short and sweet". You cannot speak "gun" to people that do not know the language. The first thing that we teach in Basic Pistol is the parts of the gun; you cannot say, "Keep the muzzle pointed in a safe direction" if they don't know what the muzzle is.

Pols (at least most of the Antis) do not say "clip" just to piss off people that know it's being misused.

As to a personal letter..yes. It will get more recognition than a generic one. Use a dark-colored crayon, to show that you're a serious-minded person. [laugh]

That is good advice. That means I have to involve my wife. She is emotional. I never learn, I always think that people will do the right thing when they are educated. The thing I have not learned in 45 years is that emotion gets in the way of logic. It will have to be a mix of fact and emotion.

Back
Top Bottom