F-14 Dog fight

WE HADE A PRESIDENT IN 1989 WHO WAS A LEADER ,UNLIKE WE DO NOW IN 2015 who had a plan for the soldiers under fire and let them carry rounds with them in the chambers ready to fire

Last edited:
WE HADE A PRESIDENT IN 1989 WHO WAS A LEADER ,UNLIKE WE DO NOW IN 2015 who had a plan for the soldiers under fire and let them carry rounds with them in the chambers ready to fire

The Marine barracks in Beirut got blown up when the suicide bomber got through the perimeter security who were prohibited from having a chambered round. I think they were not allowed to have a loaded magazine in their weapon, but I'm not positive.

I was stationed at NAS Miramar in San Diego during the 70's, the heyday of the F14's. My squadron (Grumman E-2B's) shared a hangar with Top Gun for a year or two. The Jet Jocks that either taught there or were going to school there were certifiably nuts. They used F5's and A4's as "enemies" and flew either F4's and or F14's as friendlies. I thought then (and still do to this day) that the F14 was one of the greatest fighters the US ever made. I was sad to see them go away.

Interesting to note that Iran has a whole slew of F14's they bought from us in the mid 70's. There were even Iranians in my avionics school in 75-76 as we were training them to fix the aircraft. The arms embargo of 1980 meant they could no longer get spare parts for the 80 or so F14's that we had sold to them. Somewhere in a warehouse in Iran there are almost new F14's just sitting there...

Back in the mid 80s my carrier was assigned support in the Indian Ocean flying cover for the destroyers in the Persian gulf who were protecting oil tankers from Iranian speed boat attacks. Operation Earnest Will. By that time the Iranian's air force consisted of two remaining F-14s that were made up of spare parts from the rest of their inventory. We had fighters in the air 24/7 when within striking distance of Iran. They would launch their two fighters and head towards our battle group in which our cover would head to intercept. Every single time the Iranian fighters tucked tail and headed home before we got close. Guess they didn't want to lose thier two remaining aircraft. Was a PITA as it was General Quarters time everytime they took off.

I was sad to see them go away.

I got to see an F-14 strafe a ground target in Iraq during November 2005.

During its gun run the Tomcat flew perpendicular (not parallel as per SOP) and towards to the Forward Line Of Troops so I got a good look at its top profile and then a close view of its bottom profile as it flew over us.

I wasn't in position to see the effects on target, but the 20mm cannon surely did a number on it.

Later, our Battalion Air Officer told me it was the last operational deployment for the F-14 and the pilot who conducted the gun run was super excited about engaging a ground target.

Read " A Higher Call". Outstanding book. The brass balls fighter and bomber pilots have never ceases to amaze me. It will also explain why the Tomcat pilots noted the 2 good chutes.

Thanks for that. It jogged a memory because I recalled reading a review or short story about that a number of years ago. Just put the book on my short list of stuff to read.

I was working on the flight deck of the USS Nimitz the day this happened. The libyan's got splashed very quickly. We all went wild cheering the crews from the Tomcats when they returned to the ship. Sadly Commander Kleeman, the squadron commander who led the flight was killed in F-18 crash a few years later. I'll never forget those few days off the coast of Libya.

Libyan Su-22 fighters attempted to engage F-14s eight years earlier in 1981 in the Gulf of Sidra, with the same result.

This is the radio recording of the shootdown

Last edited by a moderator:
In August 1981 I was in my 3rd week of Infantry OSUT at Fort Benning. The DI's and Corporals were on us constantly. This was a time when not a lot had been going right for the country. Operation Eagle Claw had failed the year prior. There were a lot of Vietnam vets around and it was hrd to feel good about the outcome. Reagan was in the White House but nt too much had changed

We were in a training class when, most unusually, the NCO talking was approached by the range NCOIC. He then read from a slip of paper, "Today two Navy fighters attacked and shot down two Syrian fighters." Not sure he gave any other details, or even how timely it was but Libya is 5-6 hours ahead of us.

We all went crazy and the NCO's let us. I think the whole post went nuts. This was a small bit of good news when any good news was hard to come by. They then resumed dogging us.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gulf_of_Sidra_incident_(1981)

Last edited:
Last edited:
I apologize if this is a naive question, but why would the U.S. pilots give a crap that the enemy pilots were able to eject and deploy their parachutes ("two good chutes")? Or is that just part of describing the scene for the folks in the command center?
They woyld relay all relevant information fir the record. And there are considerations beyond the engagement. Having the pilots survive is better to spin than the alternative - geopolitical relations and all that. Plus they would have reported that info to SAR with an approximate location.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

On one of the documentaries it is stated that the F-14 carries twice as many long range air to air missiles and twice as many other missiles then the YF-22 .

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K_jde3X7c9Q
True but the F22 can shoot down an enemy from 40 or 50 miles out IIRC and the bogie would never know they were there so it might not need as many missiles and they are just about invisible as they have no external ordinance to provide a radar return. They tested the F22 against the best of the F15 crews and it wasn't even close. Really pissed the F15 drivers off.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom