Extra round in the magazine

mbz4ever

Dealer
NES Member
Surprisingly for me i just discovered that both of my Glock 26 magazines easily accepting extra round so instead of 10 i can load 11. both of these mags are marked 10. there are no feeding problems nor any other issues with a gun when firing with extra round. Gun is used, Mass compliant with 2 10 rounds mags and was recently purchased at very reputable dealer in Massachusetts.
Does any one experienced this?

Surprisingly for me i just discovered that both of my Glock 26 magazines easily accepting extra round so instead of 10 i can load 11. both of these mags are marked 10. there are no feeding problems nor any other issues with a gun when firing with extra round. Gun is used, Mass compliant with 2 10 rounds mags and was recently purchased at very reputable dealer in Massachusetts.
Does any one experienced this?

None of the 3 G26 mags accept more than 10 rounds. Interesting.

I'd dump the mags. Despite the fact that they're designed to hold ten rounds of 9mm, they're holding over ten rounds. That means that they're large capacity, and, if not manufactured prior to 9/13/1994, that means you have magazines that are illegal to possess.

None of the 3 G26 mags accept more than 10 rounds. Interesting.

exactly... i have 1 other 10 round mag that would not take extra round. but i purchased that one separately.
I will try to experiment with Glock 27 and see if i can load one extra round in it. It is still brand new, I never fire it so this weekend it will take some heat....[smile]

I was thinking to sell my G26 and keep G27 if its a good shooter. But now G26 not just outstanding shooter its also can carry 11 rounds of 9mm.
11 rounds of 9mm vs 9 rounds .40 S&W. may be more then 9?

I wouldn't just simply ditch them. If you recently purchased the gun, take them back and ask for the dealer to request new ones. They should be covered under warranty. Also, keep in mind that accepting an additional one could indicate a spring issue. You could potentially have it fail to load in the next round just when you need it.

I'd dump the mags. Despite the fact that they're designed to hold ten rounds of 9mm, they're holding over ten rounds. That means that they're large capacity, and, if not manufactured prior to 9/13/1994, that means you have magazines that are illegal to possess.

Couldn't he just load 10 and hope that nobody in law enforcement ever attempts to cram the 11th in? And if they do just point to the marking indicating that they hold only 10 and plead ignorance? [wink]

Couldn't he just load 10 and hope that nobody in law enforcement ever attempts to cram the 11th in? And if they do just point to the marking indicating that they hold only 10 and plead ignorance? [wink]

I do think you'd have some leg to stand on seeing as how the mag SHOULD only accept 10. If you're only putting 10 in there at least. This seems as though it should bear more weight than someone saying "I didn't know I couldn't have a post-ban hi-cap mag" -- probably not much more weight, but some. That being said, *I* wouldn't want to be the one holding that mag because in the end you are responsible for what's in your possession. As it IS capable of holding more than 10 rounds you're looking at a felony charge. If someone wants to be a test case for this, be my guest ;)

I do think you'd have some leg to stand on seeing as how the mag SHOULD only accept 10. If you're only putting 10 in there at least. This seems as though it should bear more weight than someone saying "I didn't know I couldn't have a post-ban hi-cap mag" -- probably not much more weight, but some. That being said, *I* wouldn't want to be the one holding that mag because in the end you are responsible for what's in your possession. As it IS capable of holding more than 10 rounds you're looking at a felony charge. If someone wants to be a test case for this, be my guest ;)

I think if you know that it has a post-ban manufacturing date, and you know that it in fact does accept more than 10 rounds, your leg will be broken quickly.

If you were to buy it from a dealer, were stopped going home before you ever tested the mag and then it in fact did accept more than 10 rounds (though advertised and sold as 10 round mag), then that may be a different story that could provide you a defense.

http://www.mass.gov/legis/laws/mgl/140-121.htm
Chapter 140: Section 121. Firearms sales; definitions; antique firearms; application of law; exceptions

Section 121. As used in sections 122 to 131P, inclusive, the following words shall, unless the context clearly requires otherwise, have the following meanings:-

“Large capacity feeding device”, (i) a fixed or detachable magazine, box, drum, feed strip or similar device capable of accepting, or that can be readily converted to accept, more than ten rounds of ammunition or more than five shotgun shells; or (ii) a large capacity ammunition feeding device as defined in the federal Public Safety and Recreational Firearms Use Protection Act, 18 U.S.C. section 921(a)(31) as appearing in such section on September 13, 1994. The term “large capacity feeding device” shall not include an attached tubular device designed to accept, and capable of operating only with,.22 caliber ammunition.

Note it says "capable of accepting."

13 posts in and no Spinal Tap reference?

glock11.jpg

[rolleyes]

Then you'll be throwing away a lot of 10 round magazines. There are a lot that can take 11 rounds, if you force the issue, so to speak.

For example, HK USPc .40 S+W magazines can (barely) hold 11 rounds of .40, although you would not be able to seat the mag in the gun with the slide closed with 11 rounds in the mag, making it somewhat pointless.

I'd bet the situation is the same for his G26 mags. It's pretty obvious to me that the magazines were only intended to hold 10 rounds while actually "in use" in the firearm in
question.

-Mike

Looking for trouble where none exists.

Yep, pleading ignorance AFTER posting on the internet is the best course of action. [crying][laugh2][rofl]

Reminds me of all the "Glock can't definitively tell which of their unmarked magazines may be post ban so let ME tell you" threads............. [sad]

Ignorance of the law and ignorance of how many rounds you can actually stuff into a clip marked and sold as accepting only 10 rounds aren't the same thing, but the points here are well taken: It's not worth losing a license over.

Has anyone actually met or know of someone that got caught using a hi-capacity non pre-ban mag?

No prosecutions exist in MA on the AW Ban, to my knowledge. I've never even heard of a charge being brought against someone. This does not
mean it cannot happen, of course.

Close as I ever heard of this happening was Len or someone else said that the Middlesex DA was trying to jam up someone with Glock mags, but they failed in doing so because they couldn't prove provenance. (Glock's official line is they have no way to tell, and that is what they told the DA's office also).

Another thing to be aware of- most prosecutors don't bother with the AW ban charge because most real criminals can get whacked on illegal possession of an LCAFD instead, if they don't have a license. This charge is in a different part of MGL (and has nothing to do with the AWB) and the standard of evidence is far simpler. (you catch a guy without an LTC that has a LCAFD in his possesion, and it's a slam dunk comparatively speaking, to an AWB charge.. )

I honestly think most DAs/Prosecutors don't bother with the MA AWB crap because it's a tough road to hoe with little likely success. They probably use the threat of it though, in some cases. (it's another felony they can throw on the pile during plea bargaining).

-Mike

Do these mags have the original factory base plates on them?

There are after market base plates that extend the capacity of the magazines.

I can't speak to the Glock mags, but if I stuff 21 in my 20 rnd AR mag, it won't seat in the mag well.

I think if you know that it has a post-ban manufacturing date, and you know that it in fact does accept more than 10 rounds, your leg will be broken quickly.

If you were to buy it from a dealer, were stopped going home before you ever tested the mag and then it in fact did accept more than 10 rounds (though advertised and sold as 10 round mag), then that may be a different story that could provide you a defense.

The mag probably has the 10 round marked on it so it is a 10 round mag. I don't think I would put more than 10 just for the concern of a reliability issue. If it is the length of a 10 rounder is marked at ten rounds I think you would be safe using it as a ten rounder. If you want more than 10 buy a pre-ban 13 or 15 and know you won't have any feeding issues. The uncertainty of the reliablity of the over stuffed mag certainly out weighs any concern I would have re. getting bagged for a high cap, because a ten round marked mag it is not high cap.

Do these mags have the original factory base plates on them?

There are after market base plates that extend the capacity of the magazines.

The thing is if he had a pearce plate on it it would add 2 rounds, not 1. I don't think pearce makes a +1 for the 9mm glock mags.

-Mike

http://www.mass.gov/legis/laws/mgl/140-121.htm
“Large capacity feeding device”, (i) a fixed or detachable magazine, box, drum, feed strip or similar device capable of accepting, or that can be readily converted to accept, more than ten rounds of ammunition or more than five shotgun shells; or (ii) a large capacity ammunition feeding device as defined in the federal Public Safety and Recreational Firearms Use Protection Act, 18 U.S.C. section 921(a)(31) as appearing in such section on September 13, 1994. The term “large capacity feeding device” shall not include an attached tubular device designed to accept, and capable of operating only with,.22 caliber ammunition.

Does this mean that a 22 round GSG-5 mag is legal in Mass?

Does this mean that a 22 round GSG-5 mag is legal in Mass?

A tubular device is like one of those things on a marlin pump fed 22 LR rifle, not a detachable magazine like on the GSG. The GSG's mag is not "tubular" (crap I had an 80s flashback there, ouch!). [laugh]

-Mike

Back
Top Bottom