Looks like Doug is about as liberal as Ted Nugent... [smile]

Article: Citizens have a right to carry guns

Article from:
The Patriot Ledger Quincy, MA
Article date:
January 5, 2005
Author:
Doug Van Gorder,

Picture a young woman walking late at night followed to her car in a parking garage by two men intent on committing your worst fears. Does anyone seriously believe that the police can protect her?

Police protect society at large by bringing to justice rapists, murderers, et al, only after they have committed their crimes. In doing so, they provide deterrence, not protection. Save for the occasional chance appearance of "a cop when you need one," law enforcement is not designed to directly prevent crime against any given individual at any given moment in time. The duty of protecting oneself, therefore, falls squarely on the individual. To hold the police accountable for injury from crime .

http://www.highbeam.com/doc/1P2-9426072.html

NEA teacher recruitment policy is racist

Article from:
The Patriot Ledger Quincy, MA
Article date:
November 30, 2004
Author:
Doug Van Gorder,

On Nov. 17. Reg Weaver, the African-American president of the National Education Association, stated, with specific reference to teaching mathematics that "recruiting and retaining more teachers of color can be crucial to ... ensuring all teachers are highly qualified."

Weaver cites findings by the National Collaborative on Diversity in the Teaching Force. Imagine an organization so named, founded on an almost religiously held belief in the benefits of diversity, coming to any other conclusion.

Now imagine a Caucasian defending a recruitment policy that seeks out whites (those who have statistically achieved greater academic success than people of color) on the...

http://www.highbeam.com/doc/1P2-9415261.html

And these chestnuts from what I assume to be gen-u-ine liberals...

The merit of a society is measured in how it deals with its most vulnerable members. A friend of mine returned from Moscow last winter and recounted that it was not uncommon to pass the frozen corpses of the homeless on her way to work. Is this really what letter writer Doug Van Gorder (Aug. 29) wants? I'll take Father Bill's Place and all the people who work and volunteer there

I would like to ask Doug Van Gorder if he has an ounce of compassion running through his veins? After reading your letter regarding closing Father Bill's Place, it is obvious to me what the answer is to that question. I have been the director of the Sheila McIntyre House, commonly known as the Quincy Veterans Home, for over four years. This home is owned by Father Bill's Place in conjunction with the Department of Veteran Services. All the men who currently

In response to Doug Van Gorder's 8/29 opinion to close down Father Bill's Place, because, all it does is attract bums'' to Quincy. I wonder if you've ever heard these words before? Give me your tired, your poor, Your huddled masses yearning to breathe free, The wretched refuse of your teaming shore. Send these, the homeless, tempest-tost to me.'' You won't find this on a plaque anywhere on the

I just finished reading tonight's editorial page and for the first time in the 15 years that I have lived in Quincy felt an overwhelming need to respond. Doug Van Gorder's letter hit a nerve in his callousness about Father Bill's and the important mission they serve. While I do not personally know anyone who has benefited from the program at Father Bill's I do know of some very successful friends/co-workers who have turned their lives around

http://nl.newsbank.com/nl-search/we...t&p_theme=gatehouse&p_product=PLQB&p_topdoc=1

He must not have ever encountered that callous bastard, Benjamin Franklin (not surprising, as he's simply one more of those long-dead white males the public schools have been air-brushing out of history in the name of cultural diversity).
“I am for doing good to the poor, but I differ in opinion of the means. I think the best way of doing good to the poor, is not making them easy in poverty, but leading or driving them out of it. In my youth I travelled much, and I observed in different countries, that the more public provisions were made for the poor, the less they provided for themselves, and of course became poorer. And, on the contrary, the less was done for them, the more they did for themselves, and became richer.”
--- Ben Franklin​

Ken

What's the point of sarcasm that doesn't reach its intended reader or accomplish the intended objective?

You can bet the Globe editors wouldn't have published this if they thought it was sarcasm.

There are some who will 'get' his sarcasm, and others who'll agree with his points.

What's the point of sarcasm that doesn't reach its intended reader or accomplish the intended objective?

You can bet the Globe editors wouldn't have published this if they thought it was sarcasm.

There are some who will 'get' his sarcasm, and others who'll agree with his points.

Agreed. OTOH, our comic relief is not a bad plan B.

Yes, the virtual blanket of security... it worked so well on the NL to Detroit flight Christmas day... helluva job Barry!!

And seriously.. I absolutely abhor violence and death. I abhor it so much that I will resort to it to protect myself from it. But let me be clear, I detest violence as much as any moonbat - but unlike the moonbats, I won't hesitate to act forcefully if such a situation demands I do so; and again, unlike the moonbat, I would be prepared to do so beforehand and would not coddle the bad guy afterward (were he lucky enough or smart enough to surrender immediately so as to retain his own life after threatening others')

I'm not so sure. I ran that letter and a few of the other links by an acquaintance of mine that is the most insanely liberal human being I've ever met.

She was enraged by them, and vowed to send letters to all of the publications for allowing such satire to be printed.

She reacted as we would to a letter to the editor that appeared to be pro-2A, but painted gun owners as a bunch of bloodthirsty rednecks.

I'm not so sure. I ran that letter and a few of the other links by an acquaintance of mine that is the most insanely liberal human being I've ever met.

She was enraged by them, and vowed to send letters to all of the publications for allowing such satire to be printed.

She reacted as we would to a letter to the editor that appeared to be pro-2A, but painted gun owners as a bunch of bloodthirsty rednecks.

But did she get it, on her own, that it was satire?

Is She Hot?

Cmon, you know all uber liberal chicks are frigid towards white boys. We are the oppressors unless your some horny college kid who pretends to be a vegan so he can get into the chicks pants. HA!HA!

There's a workaround for everything.

One day I got on the usual bus, and when I stepped in, I saw the most gorgeous blond Chinese girl... I sat beside her. I said, "Hi," and she said, "Hi," and then I said, "Nice day, isn't it?," And she said, "I saw my analyst today and he says I have a problem." So I asked, "What's the problem?" She replied, "I can't tell you. I don't even know you..." I said, "Well sometimes it's good to tell your problems to a perfect stranger on a bus." So she said, "Well, my analyst said I'm a nymphomaniac and I only like Jewish cowboys... By the way, my name is Denise." I said, "Hello, Denise. My name is Bucky Goldstein..."

- Steven Wright

I saw this posted elsewhere, and it reminded me of this thread: http://rationalwiki.com/wiki/Poe's_Law

Poe's law states: "Without a winking smiley or other blatant display of humor, it is impossible to create a parody of Fundamentalism that SOMEONE won't mistake for the real thing."

It started out specifically referring to creationism, but expanded to any fundamentalist belief system, whether religious, secular, political, or otherwise.

Back
Top Bottom