Evil Black Rifles and SKS's in Huge Supply

Called MFL today figuring I would go pick one up... Nope wont sell to mass residents.. bayonets attached..

These rifles are all certainly pre-ban and are not subject to the so-called "Assault Weapon" rules in MA. What do bayonets have to do with anything?

Does anyone know the owner so we can ask the question?

These rifles are all certainly pre-ban and are not subject to the so-called "Assault Weapon" rules in MA. What do bayonets have to do with anything?

I was thinking the same thing. I bought mine from a dealer in MA with a bayonet. Perfectly legal.

Is he talking about the WASR or the SKS. The SKS would be preban but the WASR woudn't (or may not) be.

I called twice. Yes we are talking SKS

I inquired to see if they had them in stock and that they were open till 9pm and the grades of the rifles, and if they can sell long guns to mass residents providing they have the proper identification. (just in case of a situation like this)

I got an answer of "cant sell those to mass they have a bayonet" to which I simply replied I think you might be mistaken. He said he would check with his boss Jim when he comes in.

I called an hour or two later and spoke with Jim. It was a brief conversation, but basically in my words he told me. He was unsure if he could sell it to a mass resident since it had the bayonet on it. He did not want to get into any trouble, but he would gladly ship it to my FFL.

I have zero intention of trying to "convince" the dealer they can sell it to me, I am not a lawyer or well versed in the firearms laws in mass.

However, I find it odd that other NH gun stores that STRICTLY follow the "mass ok" rules offer these up for sale as-is.. A friend of mine has purchased such an item from an NH dealer. And if memory serves correct I have scene for sale in mass AS-IS.

The school of thought I had of why these are Mass-OK would be it only have ONE evil feature IE the bayonet.... 2nd the firearm is surely PRE-BAN and came from the factory with the "evil items" therefore Mass-OK. Again I am not well versed in the firearms laws this is how I understand the AWB. I welcome correction if I am wrong.

Just sucks that the Mass laws "scare off" dealers from selling Mass-OK firearms.

Last edited:

I talked to a Mass dealer on Saturday about an SKS he had on the shelf. He told me it was a "pre-ban" rifle, and therefore it was OK for me to buy with a bayonet. Otherwise, he said, he could not sell me the rifle with the bayonet on, but I could buy the bayonetless rifle and and put my own bayonet on.

Wha???

I didn't bring up bayonets, he just threw it out there. It's a fixed magazine rifle, so who cares about evil features under Mass law?

I swear I get more confuseder every time I talk to a gun dealer.

I think the law is pretty straight-forward on the definition of "assault weapon" when talking rifles: semi-automatic, large-capacity-magazine fed rifle with at least 2 of the following characteristics:

-prominent pistol grip below the action
-folding or collapsible stock
-flash suppressor
-grenade launcher
-bayonet lug

The problem with the SKS is interpretation: if it has an integral bayonet, does it have a bayonet lug? If you remove the fixed magazine and replace it with a large-capacity removable one (available many places online), does that change its status? Does the ribbed barrel extension on the Yugo SKS, used to launch rifle grenades, qualify as a grenade launcher?

Again, the underlying factor is - when was the gun manufactured? If it was made before the 1994 ban went into effect, it is considered "pre-ban" and not subject to the restrictions above.

I'm certain all SKS's on the market today are pre-ban, and should be OK for MA purchase - in their original configuration. That's why you see them in most Mass gunshops, including the extremely careful Four Seasons in Woburn.

All you can do is try to point out-of-state dealers towards the GOAL website, and try to make them understand. But if they don't want to understand, well... you can lead a horse to water, but you can't make him drink.

If you have a C&R you can buy it on that. Yugos are on the list. If he won't sell you one, you can find a few other places that will with a little detective work for about the same price. The only difference is it will be shipped right to your door.

The SKS bayonet confusion most likely comes from when a bunch of Chinese models were caught up in the importation ban and had the bayonets removed. Some even had the mounts ground off by the importers.
This was all during the Mak90 era when perfectly good Chinese AKs were neutered into thumbhole stock sporters.

Some still think to this day that if you buy a Chinese SKS that was imported w/out a bayonet and add one to it that you'll be in jail by the time you get done tightening the screw.

I think MFL was advertising Romanian WASR-10 AK's for about $500 (+)....

Definitely better than recent prices in the $600 to $700 range.
WASR-10 at Four Seasons.

Just got an e-mail: 499.95. BUT these can only take 10-round mags, then again - 10 of these (if I remember right) are included. Looks good - O wonder where the prices are going to be in a month or so...

WASR-10 at Four Seasons.

Just got an e-mail: 499.95. BUT these can only take 10-round mags, then again - 10 of these (if I remember right) are included. Looks good - O wonder where the prices are going to be in a month or so...

Five 10-rd mags are included.

Romanian WASR 7.62x39mm rifles.
Each rifle comes with five 10 rd. magazines.
Only $499.95.

Before the election, I saw a lo-cap WASR-10 at BG Sporting in Westfield for $350. It had that nasty nut welded on to the end of the barrel.

I was hungry, and almost bought it. Glad I didn't.

I decided to make a trip up to MFL tonight to check out the SKS that over the phone they would not sell to a Mass resident.

Well they had a policy change. And would sell me a SKS... However I spotted a M44 carbine that really caught my fancy and picked that up instead.

Since that puts me over the gun budget for the month I have to wait on the SKS... Maybe in a month or two the price will settle on the SKS and i might not feel so bad paying what I did on the M44.....

Here's hoping for a price bottoming glut caused by over-production for a short-term run.

I am hoping too, for ammo as well. It does seem like the prices are a bit lower and more stuff goes with out bids on gunbroker in the last couple of weeks.

WASR-10 at Four Seasons.

1) Are these rifles FID legal if they only take 10 round mags? Or are they capable of taking more?

2) Are they good guns? Or junk?

Price report from Dave's in Pittsfield:

4 ARs in stock (Stag and Bushamaster) from $1200 to $2100
1 Norinco SKS: $400

No ... Spag-tacular values there.

I've spotted new Bushmaster A2's at a couple of dealers recently for $1000. I've been considering adding a semi-auto .223/5.56 to my collection, but don't mind waiting for prices to drop a bit more. I know the Bushmaster's were going for ~$800 two or three years ago. What is the group concensus on pricing? Are we heading under $1000 for some of these new EBR's or is this as low as it will go?

Back
Top Bottom