Evidently you can't own a machine gun in Massachusetts

Just thought I'd share something funny that happened at work today. Walked into my break room at work today, and right away heard a guy probably in his late twenties, talking about how Obama is going to ruin the country and take away all his guns. So.. naturally I sat down right next to him. As i started eating my lunch I listened to him rant a bit, he never really made any great points but it was entertaining me so i participated in the conversation enough to keep him going. Then after about fifteen minutes he said " why the hell can't we have fully automatic weapons? The army can" Baffled I said " wait what did you just say?" he replies " you get caught with a fully automatic weapon in Massachusetts and you get twenty years in jail" So I informed him that all you need is to have a full auto license as long as you qualify for that and can afford to buy the damn things you can own them. We went back and forth for a while basically me trying to convince him I knew what I was talking about. And that maybe he was mistaking the penalty for illegally owning a full auto for the general possession of one. At the end it seemed he either believed me or just got tired being wrong in front of his co-workers. Just something that made me laugh a bit at work today thought i'd share it with NES. Shoot straight, stay safe - Business

i usually dont try to correct people anymore. There is soooo much mis information out there it is incredible. Just today a had a woman from a gun distributor tell me you needed to be a sworn officer to own a glock in mass, I just let it go

i usually dont try to correct people anymore. There is soooo much mis information out there it is incredible. Just today a had a woman from a gun distributor tell me you needed to be a sworn officer to own a glock in mass, I just let it go

wow yea I am sure i will meet many uninformed people in my travels i will probably become desensitized eventually

I think you might be surprised if you did a poll in any state about this - even amongst gun owners...

Ma**h***s tend to be better educated WRT to the laws because you must to avoid breaking dozens of them relying on silly things like common sense and reason...

I've talked to gun owners in other states that still think full auto is illegal under any circumstances...

Last edited:
Just thought I'd share something funny that happened at work today. Walked into my break room at work today, and right away heard a guy probably in his late twenties, talking about how Obama is going to ruin the country and take away all his guns. So.. naturally I sat down right next to him. As i started eating my lunch I listened to him rant a bit, he never really made any great points but it was entertaining me so i participated in the conversation enough to keep him going. Then after about fifteen minutes he said " why the hell can't we have fully automatic weapons? The army can" Baffled I said " wait what did you just say?" he replies " you get caught with a fully automatic weapon in Massachusetts and you get twenty years in jail" So I informed him that all you need is to have a full auto license as long as you qualify for that and can afford to buy the damn things you can own them. We went back and forth for a while basically me trying to convince him I knew what I was talking about. And that maybe he was mistaking the penalty for illegally owning a full auto for the general possession of one. At the end it seemed he either believed me or just got tired being wrong in front of his co-workers. Just something that made me laugh a bit at work today thought i'd share it with NES. Shoot straight, stay safe - Business

Take him a copy of my license and slap him in the face with it....[rofl] what have I told you about arguing brain power with unarmed individuals..... gotta learn you yet boy

No, no, full auto is legal now that the assault weapons ban expired. (At least that's what I've been told many, many times [rolleyes])
Well, there are those on the other side of the ignorance spectrum too (gun owners and antis alike...) who don't know about NFA, 1986, or what was banned in 1994...

CNN got caught with its hands in that cookie jar with their story showing a FL Sheriff firing a full-auto AK and claiming "this is what will be legal to buy in any gun store" or some such non-sense...

[sad2] Ignorance is... THE NORM...

maybe you should be drivin the old pick up and me the fancy import, and sure make me a photocopy

Well I am a gun owner making me a hillbilly by default [rolleyes], but I dun really like dos cahs made by dem fancy jap-o-nese people.

The laws are just made so confusing so they end up making average joe citizen pretty dumb when it comes to all this stuff. Your best bet is to laugh, shake your head and eat your lunch, that really gets em going. [rofl]

It's hard to blame people for being confused. Gun laws, particularly in Mass, are so convoluted and confused that no sensible person can grasp them without a decent amount of effort. Hell, if it were not for a few guys like jdubois most of us would be participating in an echo chamber of confusion (not to say that doesn't happen from time to time anyway). I would be amazed if a normal, reasonably intelligent person with one or two guns and only a passing interest in shooting were to understand the bulk of Mass gun laws.

I would be amazed if a normal, reasonably intelligent person with one or two guns and only a passing interest in shooting were to understand the bulk of Mass gun laws.
They are not meant to be understood - only passed in a series of dis-joined liberal crowd-pleasing gestures by the state legislature...

What cheaper way to be "tough on crime" session after session is there than tightening gun laws?

Won't cost you any voters you never had and since these are mostly regulatory or secondary crimes, there is no active enforcement... Takes one guy part-time in each PD to handle the licensing requests who can go as slow as he/she needs to...

It really is awful what one-party "demokracy" has come to in this state...

They are not meant to be understood

Exactly. In fact, they are simply not understandable as a whole, as some of them simply don't make any logical sense. Things such as the self-referential definition of "weapon", and the lack of anything prohibiting the possession of a handgun with an FID, yet FIDs not 'entitling' one to own a handgun, make this point crystal clear.

I would be amazed if a normal, reasonably intelligent person with one or two guns and only a passing interest in shooting were to understand the bulk of Mass gun laws.

Prepare to be amazed....I understand all of them. I understand that they all suck and completely piss me off [rofl]

A kid (worker) at Dicks told me that Obama is going to ban all guns with the exception of 22's. I was like "Wow, that's crazy. I better stock up then." I would have schooled him, but some folks are too far gone.

Oh, wait, Obama is going to ban all guns except 22's... [thinking]

A kid (worker) at Dicks told me that Obama is going to ban all guns with the exception of 22's. I was like "Wow, that's crazy. I better stock up then." I would have schooled him, but some folks are too far gone.

Oh, wait, Obama is going to ban all guns except 22's... [thinking]

No way. Those high-capacity rim-fired automatic assault rifles can shoot over a mile. Nobody needs one of those for hunting. They should be banned.

The way I see it is this.

You may need to be licensed to purchase and own a standard Rifle but at least you get to own Machine Guns.

In Nazifornia this is not possible.

I did have a taste of owning full auto firearms when I lived in Nevada as an SOT for about 10 years so I'm not as butt hurt as someone that never had the chance at all.

And I will own them again as soon as I move to Montana. [smile]

I find that a lot of people swear that they know what is legal and what isn't, and in reality they only repeat inaccurate statements made by other people who also don't have a clue what they are talking about. I feel it is always better to be the guy that admits he is unsure, than to be the guy that has no clue but argues his point relentlessly. And sometimes, you just have to laugh at the ones that don't have a clue, as it sure beats arguing with some one that "knows it all".

When I lived in MA, I had a green card too. When I showed it to non-gunnies, the reaction was one of sheer amazement. Many of them figured that it has something to do with the police or the military. There's just no talkin' sense to some folk.

Here is a chart, list of MG, SBR, SBS, Suppressor, DD,- legal states.
http://www.mp5.net/info/sbsconr.htm

I also looked on the SAR and LMO websites but didn't find anything, at one time I remember those sites having something on legality of NFA weapons of the 50 states.

And remember its either "Title II" or "NFA weapons" Class 3 or III is the type of SOT not the designation of firearms.

Keep in mind this list was last updated Nov 22 2003 so some aspects and legalities may have changed.
Copyright © 2003 TechCom Systems. All rights reserved.
Send mail to [email protected] with questions or comments about this web site.
This page last updated: 22 Nov 2003 23:22

Nope - FL and another southern "gun friendly" state which I don't recall at the moment...

When I lived in MA, I had a green card too. When I showed it to non-gunnies, the reaction was one of sheer amazement. Many of them figured that it has something to do with the police or the military. There's just no talkin' sense to some folk.

I had a bet with the brother of a guy I work with who said machine guns are illegal in Mass. I showed him my green card and he still hasn't paid me.

This is one area that Mass beats Rhode Island. Stupid RI, no full-auto anything, nowhere, nohow. I want to move back to Maine. Where the men are men and the sheep are COLD. [grin]

Most of the time it is just easier to let them think they are illegal (you won't convice them anyways more often than not). If they really believe it is already illegal, then why the push for yet more laws?? Let them believe mass has the most restrictive laws in the world and that all bad things are coming from out of state..

let them go on thinking nfa goodies have been banned since the roaring 20s and any sort of black gun has been banned since 94 (not that they have any clue as to what the differences are anyway).

That way at least they don't get the idea that they need to start making noise to take away the nfa goodies that we have jumped through all the hoops to get.

Westfield says Hi.

yeah well... I have been fighting the nfa battle for hearts and minds for well over 15yrs..
That has definitely thrown a wrench into things.

But at the same time, it has pushed me to put an uzi into the hands of more on the fencers to try to get them to be a bit more knowledgable and to dispell at least some of the mystery and illusions around nfa..

yeah well... I have been fighting the nfa battle for hearts and minds for well over 15yrs..
That has definitely thrown a wrench into things.
It shouldn't, but it does baffle me that people can't see that the most dangerous piece of equipment at the range that day was the brain of the adult responsible for that child while he was shooting...

The gun was just the tool that helped them realize their full potential as a threat to the safety of others.[sad2]

Back
Top Bottom