• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

EVERY SHOOTER Should Get a C&R FFL!

Not to clutter this thread... What are people answering for "Hours of Operation and/or Availability of Business Activity" on their C&R? I have a renewal due shortly and the ATF has ignored my repeated contacts around clarification of this section for C&R. Since there is no business activity going on here do we just list a hour they can contact us?

I want to apply for my c&r but will it be an issue that I live in an apartment? Also, what should I put down for position? It's not a company so I don't think I should put owner.

Last edited:
I want to apply for my c&r but will it be an issue that I live in an apartment? Also, what should I put down for position? It's not a company so I don't think I should put owner.

It does not matter if you're in an apartment. I know C&R holders living in apartments.

As for the position, just put down "collector". I believe that's what others here on NES recommended when I was applying last year.

I haven't ordered one yet, That's a good price. I was going to look on Amazon for one. I read about the Brownells discount, seems like another great reason for a c&r.

Can I use my day job as my shipping address on the form? All UPS/FedEx comes through me so I'd be the one receiving it. It makes it easier than missing packages and picking them up from the shipping hubs. Not sure if they want everything shipped to my residence or not.

The only problem with apartment living and a C&R is that if they leave a gun by your door, will you find it when you return from work?

Also under Fed law, ALL (from what I could determine) FFLs (even C&R) MUST call an 800# and file a stolen/lost report with BATFE and local police within x hrs if a gun goes missing (and it does not appear that the missing gun be C&R). Personally I find this a benefit, as UPS, FedEx and airlines tend to be very nonchalant if a gun is stolen/missing . . . right up to the point where you advise them that if it is not found within x hours you are OBLIGATED to notify BATFE . . . suddenly your loss becomes "Priority One" for them. Nobody likes the Feds snooping up their ass, so they get off their ass and start searching for it immediately in that case.

Yes "collector" is the proper "title" and "open hours" are "N/A" since you are not a business.

Can I use my day job as my shipping address on the form? All UPS/FedEx comes through me so I'd be the one receiving it. It makes it easier than missing packages and picking them up from the shipping hubs. Not sure if they want everything shipped to my residence or not.

Last edited:
Yes, the form allows for an alternate address so that dealers can legally ship to your business address that way if you want.

- - - Updated - - -

Hmmm good question. I would just use your home address on the form but then use your shipping address when you place orders for guns/ammo with your C&R.

Though I haven't done this before. Maybe others like Len will chime in soon.

Nope that doesn't work. Fed Law requires shipment ONLY to the addresses on the C&R FFL, so both addresses must be listed for that to work.

The only problem with apartment living and a C&R is that if they leave a gun by your door, will you find it when you return from work?

Yes this would be my concern as well. I'm never home for packages so I just have them held at my local FedEx office for pickup.

Yes, the form allows for an alternate address so that dealers can legally ship to your business address that way if you want.

- - - Updated - - -

Nope that doesn't work. Fed Law requires shipment ONLY to the addresses on the C&R FFL, so both addresses must be listed for that to work.

Ahh yes good point. I'll edit my post to avoid any confusion.

Also under Fed law, ALL (from what I could determine) FFLs (even C&R) MUST call an 800# and file a stolen/lost report with BATFE and local police within x hrs if a gun goes missing (and it does not appear that the missing gun be C&R). Personally I find this a benefit, as UPS, FedEx and airlines tend to be very nonchalant if a gun is stolen/missing . . . right up to the point where you advise them that if it is not found within x hours you are OBLIGATED to notify BATFE . . . suddenly your loss becomes "Priority One" for them. Nobody likes the Feds snooping up their ass, so they get off their ass and start searching for it immediately in that case.

Yes "collector" is the proper "title" and "open hours" are "N/A" since you are not a business.

Yes this would be my concern as well. I'm never home for packages so I just have them held at my local FedEx office for pickup.

Perfect, my concern was exactly that. Shipping companies usually don't leave packages by the door but in the odd chance they do I don't want someone to be able to walk off with a handgun or rifle.

In terms of shipping, most of the ones I received came via UPS. I either made sure I was home or had them hold it at the local depot. Signing up for UPS My Choice gives you options and more control of the package if that helps.

I've never used UPS my choice. Do you just input tracking numbers into it or is it done automatically based off of address and name?
Automatically based off address. Sends an email when they receive a package for you and gives you options

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Yes it says in the paperwork you must call that number within 48 hours but let me tell you that first and foremost, that number is now NOT for C&R FFL holders to report missing/stolen anymore. Its only for dealers, etc and its only open weekdays from 8-4. I had to use this a couple of months ago and I can tell you its pretty nerve wracking when you see that notice at the bottom of the paperwork saying you're committing a felony if you don't call and report within 48 hours yet there's no option for you as a C&R to get through the voicemail system to a human. Come to find out they changed the reporting requirements for C&R and now you just fax in the paperwork and they'll call you back with a number to record in your book, etc. And the 48 hours clock doesn't apply either. They just haven't updated the paperwork you get in your C&R packet yet to reflect this! [angry]

jpm, thanks for the update . . . corrections are always appreciated.

That said, my point is that delivery outfits (including airlines) really will pull out the stops when you tell them that you MUST notify the Feds (regardless of how we C&Rs have to accomplish this) . . . they don't want that kind of attention. I (and I assume all of us) just want our gun back ASAP! So it is a good club to use when the sad occasion occurs.

Got my credit card charged today! Hopefully I get my packet in the next week or two. I decided to just use my apartment address as the shipping address and hold everything at the shipping hub. Thanks for all the info so far everyone!

Got my C&R FFL license in the mail today. Just over a month, not bad.

-

Nice, that's about right. DON'T SIGN THE ORIGINAL! Go get about 100 copies made and sign them as needed.

Now get yourself a bound book if you haven't already! Brownells has them for $3 and they're great. While you're at it, fax them a copy of your new license for discounts.

Nice, that's about right. DON'T SIGN THE ORIGINAL! Go get about 100 copies made and sign them as needed.

Now get yourself a bound book if you haven't already! Brownells has them for $3 and they're great. While you're at it, fax them a copy of your new license for discounts.

I don't get the "get 100 copies made up" stuff. Even when I first got mine in 1999 (and everyone would ship to MA) I probably only sent out ~30 and likely used another 5 at most during the 3 years.

I scan it into my computer as a PDF and then print out as needed. It does NOT have to be printed in color to be valid.

I keep a few in each car for the "just in case" scenario.

Back
Top Bottom