• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Ever wanted to try USPSA Shooting? (2017 Edition)

Question: I've an M&P full size that I'm planning to bring. One issue, if I remember the basics of the rules correctly, is that after a CoF the command is "Unload, show clear, hammer down." The pistol in question has a mag disconnect, thus I can't drop the hammer (firing pin, whatever) without an empty mag in the gun. Is it worth removing the disconnect for this (IIRC I'd have to cut a spring in the trigger assembly)? Or since I'll need more than three mags, just buy a few extras and leave one empty?

do the mod, get rid of that nonsense. http://www.burwellgunsmithing.com/M&P2.htm
Its not permanent, you don't have to cut a spring.

do the mod, get rid of that nonsense. http://www.burwellgunsmithing.com/M&P2.htm

Good advice from the top ranked USPSA PCC shooter in the Nation. But if you're not comfortable messing with your gun then bring an extra mag and keep it empty and somewhere that you won't grab it by accident during a stage [wink]

Thanks, all. Gonna see if I can find a free bit of time to do this. Anyone know if I could use an AR15 detent spring or mag release spring to hold the mag disconnect in place? I don't have any extra 1911 mag release springs laying around.

If not, an extra mag is going to get stashed in the back slit pocket of my pants.

Really looking forward to this class!

Thanks, all. Gonna see if I can find a free bit of time to do this. Anyone know if I could use an AR15 detent spring or mag release spring to hold the mag disconnect in place? I don't have any extra 1911 mag release springs laying around.

If not, an extra mag is going to get stashed in the back slit pocket of my pants.
Really looking forward to this class!
I think a takedown pin detent spring is too small in diameter, mag catch spring may work, one of my pistols has a ballpoint pen spring in it. Tens of thousands of rounds and it's fine.

I think IDPA would be more to my liking, thanks for the information [grin]

[pot]

I enjoy them both. Though the lesser amount of rules in USPSA has got me enjoying it more than IDPA (and I've only done 2 USPSA matches...). They're different but at the end of the day, they're both games.

Does anyone know if there is availability for 2 for this class?

Unfortunately at this time we're overbooked and trying to figure out how many of the names we have on the list we can support. For those that can't take the class with us this year but don't wait to wait until next season to get into the sport you're welcome to join us at practice on Weds evenings. We can show you the basics and get you enough info to attend a match and learn the rest as you go. The class is everything you need to know (and a few things you don't) all at once but by no means mandatory!

Unfortunately at this time we're overbooked and trying to figure out how many of the names we have on the list we can support. For those that can't take the class with us this year but don't wait to wait until next season to get into the sport you're welcome to join us at practice on Weds evenings. We can show you the basics and get you enough info to attend a match and learn the rest as you go. The class is everything you need to know (and a few things you don't) all at once but by no means mandatory!

No worries my father just noticed this last night and mentioned it would be fun to do together. Next year I'll jump on it quicker!

I don't have any extra 1911 mag release springs laying around.
I cannot offer any advice as to how to use a 1911 mag release spring in an M&P, however, if you think it will solve your problem PM me your address and I will have a uniformed federal agent with a little truck deliver you one.

I cannot offer any advice as to how to use a 1911 mag release spring in an M&P, however, if you think it will solve your problem PM me your address and I will have a uniformed federal agent with a little truck deliver you one.

That would be outstanding! Thanks, Rob! PM incoming!

If there a waiting list for last minute openings, please add me to the list

Also... Does Harvard Sportsmen also run weekly USPSA practices?... If so, have these started up yet?

Last edited:
I see that three magazines are recommended as a minimum for this class. Any particular advantage to having four or five (I see folks with lots and lots of mags on their belts)? Or will it just mean I have to load fewer mags?

I see that three magazines are recommended as a minimum for this class. Any particular advantage to having four or five (I see folks with lots and lots of mags on their belts)? Or will it just mean I have to load fewer mags?

Max round count is 32 for a stage so that is why you see competitors with 5+ mags. For the class, they won't construct stages complicated enough for a high round count. As such, Pete probably set the minimum number of mags at 3 for new people who may not have a box full of mags. Yet. 4-5 mags would be ideal.

Max round count is 32 for a stage so that is why you see competitors with 5+ mags. For the class, they won't construct stages complicated enough for a high round count.

The highest round count stage I have for the class is 28 rounds. It can be done with 3 10 round mags, but you will be better off with an extra -reasons for this will be covered in the class.

Ok folks I just sent out an email blast with some info on the class. We had some people that had to withdraw due to schedule conflicts so if you were on the waitlist you're probably in the class...we only had to turn a few people who wanted to register pretty late (hate having to do that). If you signed up please check you email!

If you didn't get into the class or couldn't make the scheduled weekend you're welcome to join us at practice on Weds evenings to see what it's about. There are also a couple of upcoming info session type classes in Maine at the Scarborough Cabelas and NH at Pioneer sportsmans. I'll try to dig up links for those when I get to a real computer; it'll be a pain in the ass to do from this phone

IMPORTANT UPDATE

I sent out an email earlier today but just in case people didn't receive it....I hope everyone understands that we did not come to this decision lightly. [angry]

For the first time in recent history we are being forced to change the date of our Intro to USPSA class. With 18" of snow forecast for this week and persistent cold temps after that we do not feel that we can run a safe and high quality class this weekend. Therefore the difficult decision has been made to change the date of the class to April 22-23. We apologize for the late notice, we gave the weather until today to change its mind but Mother Nature is being persistent.

We realize that reserving a full weekend is a big thing for many of you so we opted to push the class out one month in the hope that it gives everyone enough time to plan to attend.

We have not cashed any checks yet and will not until the class completes. Full refunds will be given to anyone who cannot attend on the new dates. If you cannot attend on these new dates please login to your management page on Practiscore.com and withdraw from the class and/or send us an e-mail letting us know.

Again we apologize for the inconvenience and hope to see you all for the class in April.

IMPORTANT UPDATE

I sent out an email earlier today but just in case people didn't receive it....I hope everyone understands that we did not come to this decision lightly. [angry]

For the first time in recent history we are being forced to change the date of our Intro to USPSA class. With 18" of snow forecast for this week and persistent cold temps after that we do not feel that we can run a safe and high quality class this weekend. Therefore the difficult decision has been made to change the date of the class to April 22-23. We apologize for the late notice, we gave the weather until today to change its mind but Mother Nature is being persistent.

We realize that reserving a full weekend is a big thing for many of you so we opted to push the class out one month in the hope that it gives everyone enough time to plan to attend.

We have not cashed any checks yet and will not until the class completes. Full refunds will be given to anyone who cannot attend on the new dates. If you cannot attend on these new dates please login to your management page on Practiscore.com and withdraw from the class and/or send us an e-mail letting us know.

Again we apologize for the inconvenience and hope to see you all for the class in April.
It'll be warmer then anyways. I'm good with it. See y'all then. :)

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

Will you open up registrations again for people who couldn't make the original date but may be able to make the snow date?

Will you open up registrations again for people who couldn't make the original date but may be able to make the snow date?

We were pretty overbooked for the class. If everyone can reschedule and make the April 22-23 weekend, we will still be overbooked. If several can not make the new class date, we will go to our wait list. PM BostonBullit and ask to be added to the waitlist.

Not going to make the class, but I'm already signed up for my first match this Sunday. (Hoping it'll still be on).

Plan on shooting a handful of matches this year after talking about it for the last year and a half.

You're club is a little up there from me, but maybe by late summer I'll make it up that way.

Not going to make the class, but I'm already signed up for my first match this Sunday. (Hoping it'll still be on).

Plan on shooting a handful of matches this year after talking about it for the last year and a half.

You're club is a little up there from me, but maybe by late summer I'll make it up that way.

Good luck at your first match! remember to let the guys at the registration table know that you're new and they should get you with an RO and some shooters that can help you through the day....at least that's the custom at the clubs up here.

Looking forward to this.

Just to be double sure: It's 200 rounds across the weekend, not 200 rounds/day, correct?

(And thanks to those who suggested I remove the mag disconnect on the M&P and to Rob for the spring! Did it last night, only bled a little and only cried once. Victory!)

Back
Top Bottom