• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Ever wanted to try USPSA Shooting? (2017 Edition)

Please plan on being at the clubhouse around 8:30 to get checked in and settled. Class starts at 9am

If you have a carry gun remember to let us know when you check in.

See everyone tomorrow,
Peter

- - - Updated - - -

Looking forward to this.

Just to be double sure: It's 200 rounds across the weekend, not 200 rounds/day, correct?

(And thanks to those who suggested I remove the mag disconnect on the M&P and to Rob for the spring! Did it last night, only bled a little and only cried once. Victory!)

Correct. More never hurts, you can always bring it home!

This was a hoot today! I'll absolutely be back for matches and practices when my schedule allows.

Thanks you to all the organisers for all the work and time!

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

This was an informative class and I recommend it to anyone interested in getting into USPSA. Now I'm not saying because I shoot IDPA that all of my doubles were counted as one mike but I have my suspension....
Great group of folks teaching a fun weekend. I will see you up there.

We do the class once a year in March or April, however, you can join the crew for Wednesday evening practice, generally starts 5:30ish. You can learn a lot by talking to people, and you will find everyone there is generally helpful, except if you ask Stew to write you a window tint letter :).

Wanted to also say thank you to the folks at Hopkinton for putting on a great class! Think I am hooked now.. The class was run very well and provided a ton of great information that would enable a fairly novice shooter to learn all they need to know to shoot a match as well as provide the experienced shooter a detailed explanation of the game and scoring to make them comfortable shooting a match.

Day 1:
Covered the basics of safe gun handling, grip, holstering, un-holstering, range commands, etc. Experienced shooters may find day 1 a bit basic, but for the new shooter this helped to establish a base line of competency. Day 1 ended with some range time on firing, reloading, moving, etc.

Day 2:
Began to dig deeper into the "game" and the morning covered scoring, equipment, divisions, classifications, etc. as well as some info on gaming strategies. The real fun was in the afternoon as 3 USPSA stages were set up and the class ran thru an actual match. The instructors were very thorough and showed the class what they would need to do if they went to a match from signing in, getting put on a squad, to finding the safe areas to get setup up etc. The Hopkinton crew set up some fun stages that were a good representative on what to expect at a match. Highly recommend the class if you are thinking about competing or just want to have fun shooting.

But don't wait for next year to give it a try. You can get the same/similar info from coming to a weekly Wednesday night practice. There is no need to be a member of the club to take part in the practices. Harvard also has weekly practices if that club is closer to you...

Again, thanks to the folks at Hopkinton for putting this class together.

Thanks guys, I'm glad you enjoyed the class! This was another good group of students which makes the time it takes to put on the class worth it. Well, if a bunch of you start shooting matches regularly then that makes it worth it [wink]. I saw a bunch of video being shot so hopefully we'll see some class match videos show up on the web...

As to why we only do the class one a year even though there's demand for more: we are running our match series which takes a lot of personal time and requires us to close parts of the range on prime days once a month. We also have to close the ranges for the class and we are always careful to make sure our activities are of minimal impact to the rest of the members of the club. Unfortunately that all adds up to a once a year type event. I used to be able to point people to a one day class at New Bedford but then club politics and FUDDery kicked in down there and they lost their entire program :-(

Peter

I used to be able to point people to a one day class at New Bedford but then club politics and FUDDery kicked in down there and they lost their entire program :-(
I believe the operative policy was "the decisions of the club safety officer are not subject to question". The New Bedford version of Papal infallibility.

I see Hopkinton has USPSA Practice on wednesdays. Do I have to be a member there to participate? How much money? I am completely a noob to competition shooting.

I see Hopkinton has USPSA Practice on wednesdays. Do I have to be a member there to participate? How much money? I am completely a noob to competition shooting.
It's free. Don't need to be a member. Bring ammo. They go to dinner after at a local Chinese place. Let folks know you're new and they'll help you out and take care of you.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

No need to be a member and there's no cost. We get going around 5:30, gate will be open, just follow the road past the rifle range to the pits. There should be people setup at the large pits back by the steel hut. You'll need a centerfire handgun or PCC, eye and ears, and some ammo. If you have a holster and mag holders bring em, if not no big deal just work out of your bag.

Yes, you'll run a few drills to start and then set up a short course to run through a couple times.

It will simulate a match in that we will use all the proper range commands and hold you to the safety rules. We will also have some paper and steel setup that approximate a stage but nothing on the level of what you see in most of the match videos. It takes a long time to set that stuff up and tear it down so we don't get that elaborate on Weds nights.

Where it differs, other than the size of the stage, is that people are free to work on what they need to work on rather than everyone doing everything the same way. For new folks that doesn't usually come into play but some of the people that have been shooting USPSA for a while might spend an entire turn working on draw+first shot, reloading between every target, or shooting on the move when there's no real reason to. It's a very informal setting. This also means that like dEX says there's usually a couple pits up and running with some basic drills in one and more of a speed shoot type stage in another.

Just got home from their USPSA practice. I learned alot and it was a great experience. Thanks Stewart, Darren, Sean, Jim, and too many more names. I took work off on Aug 9th so I plan on being back. I think I left my 7-rd magazine there too on either the USPSA practice range or the last range.

Just got home from their USPSA practice. I learned alot and it was a great experience. Thanks Stewart, Darren, Sean, Jim, and too many more names. I took work off on Aug 9th so I plan on being back. I think I left my 7-rd magazine there too on either the USPSA practice range or the last range.

You left it at our range. We have it safe and sound until next week.........Stewart

Back
Top Bottom