• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Ever heard of a P-64?

I am interested in this handgun but it is not Mass-Compliant and therefore would need to find one thats in Mass pre-1998. It is actually a Polish weapon manufactured in Radom and shoots Makarov 9x18 ammunition. It is often refered to as a Makarov P-64 because it references the Mak 9x18 caliber on the slide. I would just like to know if anyone may be able to give me some direction to find one if there even are any. I have tried several specific Makarov or P-64 forums and cannot get registered so I can post. They are supposed to send an activation code and nothing ever shows up. I've even shut off my spam protector to make sure I received it and still nothing. So I figured the only shot I have to find one in Mass is Northeastshooters. Any help is appreciated.

The trigger pull is crazy heavy on these pistols. On the order of 25lbs. There are probably better options for you in a practical weapon out there is that's why you're looking at this gun.

I think they're all pre-1998. I thought they stopped using these in the 80's.

Not positive, but I think I saw one at Law Enforcement Supply in Waltham a few days ago.

I'm looking at this gun as a "project". I've read up on it and it seems like an interesting piece. It does have a heavy DA trigger pull but there are new springs available and working on a 30 year old, LNIB, never been issued gun will be half the fun for half the price of a comparable piece.

I contacted Law Enforcement Equipment and they did not have one...they had a Tokarov but no Makarovs (and I know this really isn't a Makarov but I wasn't going to argue with him). By the way the I spoke with 2 people from Law Enforement Equipment and they could not have been more helpful. I had a great conversation with a gentleman there, looks like a road trip to me.

Thanks for your input.

I know the Polish Radom P64 is on the C & R list. If you have a C & R FFL03, you may be able to buy one online. Check into it before you buy though. I'd asked on a different thread if I could buy one out of state with my C & R and most said I could. Still looking into it. Just got my C & R books from BATF and am going to read through before I buy one.

They are nice little guns and I believe there's a whole other thread on them right now in the milsurp section.

Nothing like a 7 year old thread to come back to haunt us.

OK, here's my "actual" scoop on a P-64. I bought one in 2010, from J&G Sales, had it transferred through a dealer in MA.It had been issued, but probably to a librarian, because there was no holster wear and very little use evident. But that librarian must have been able to crush walnuts barehanded, because it does have a 23# trigger pull on double action. Single action is actually pretty easy. Wolf does have a spring kit that will bring the double action down to 13#. However, with this pistol, you may end up 'double -tapping' to the second round on single action if you don't lighten your pull. Additionally, it's a hefty pistol--kind of like a chunky Sig P230, but that weight buries the recoil of the Makarov ( hence the association) 9X18 round and it's incredibly accurate. They field strip easier than a PPK. The original Polish magazines seem to work best as I've had copies implode in the pistol. Look long enough and you'll find 9X18 HP's. They'll feed nicely, just polish your feed ramp occasionally with jeweler's rouge.

As far as quality builds are concerned, the P-64's are built in the Radom plant in Poland. Radom has been building quality firearms since before WWII. There's no mistake why the Nazis grabbed it and the Russians didn't destroy the plant. Put a Bulgarian Makarov side by side with a P-64 and you'll instantly see the difference in QC.

FWIW, I bought a second P-64 from J&G. It worked just as well as the first. Yes, you can buy through your C&R license. If J&G won't ship, check Royal Tiger. There's a real following with this pistol and there's a forum that caters to it, you'll find it on the ol' interweb.

Just my $.02

I've entertained the thought of getting one of these with the C&R. I'm not sure it really makes sense to waste the money if its got a 20 pound trigger.

[laugh2]

There is a P64 (not mine) in the classified section right now if anyone reading this is interested in them. I like mine and though I rarely shoot it, I probably won't ever sell it.

Back
Top Bottom