Equipment Needed for a New Recruit

JGreen

NES Member
Centrally locatated to several GREAT gun clubs
Folks,

A good friend, Eagle Scout and Mass Junior Conservation Camp Staffer has entered the Acadamy. He is a LE major at Westfield State and is in need of the following. Please contact him directly if you have any of the gear he could, borrow, buy or be given outright.

His name is CJ [email protected]

Thanks for any help you can give him!
Jon Green
GOAL

From CJ:

This is the list of things that I need to have for the Duty belt for the Reserve/Intermittent police academy I'm in:

-Duty Belt (I'm a size 40 currently, not sure how that translates into duty belt size as its worn over clothes on the outside) (hoping to change that at some point in the future to a smaller number.....)
-Baton Ring
-Mace/OC Holder
-Handcuffs, as well an baton (expandable)
-Handcuff Case
-Duty worthy Holster for a Glock 17 or M&P (I'm a right handed shooter)level 2 or 3 retention system
-Blue gun to match the holster if possible

With this stuff I would love to get the items as cheap as possible, used is great, or new if the person bought it and didn't like it and now its just sitting a box collecting dust is awesome. I'm not going to be picky at all. Also these are the descriptions of the items that he gave to us so I'm sure there are many variations of different items and someone in the field would be more versed at what would be best for a basic general item, but I wouldn't know where to begin so I'm open to anything as long as it fits the bill. Also I know this is a shorter time frame but our first Defensive Tactics class is in 2 weeks, and I would assume I'll need the items for that class as there are only a few so we will probably get right into the thick of things right off the bat.

I'm not sure how you think we should do transactions but I'm more then willing to drive places to get items as long as its not like 3 hours, or if mail is best depending on the distance or what not, or just pass along my info to people that have items.

Guns and Gear, 167 Elm St., Agawam has a shelf of used duty gear. They're open most afternoons and Saturday. Not far from Westfield. 413 786-0100.

Folks,

A good friend, Eagle Scout and Mass Junior Conservation Camp Staffer has entered the Acadamy. He is a LE major at Westfield State and is in need of the following. Please contact him directly if you have any of the gear he could, borrow, buy or be given outright.

His name is CJ [email protected]

Thanks for any help you can give him!
Jon Green
GOAL

From CJ:

This is the list of things that I need to have for the Duty belt for the Reserve/Intermittent police academy I'm in:

-Duty Belt (I'm a size 40 currently, not sure how that translates into duty belt size as its worn over clothes on the outside) (hoping to change that at some point in the future to a smaller number.....)
-Baton Ring
-Mace/OC Holder
-Handcuffs, as well an baton (expandable)
-Handcuff Case
-Duty worthy Holster for a Glock 17 or M&P (I'm a right handed shooter)level 2 or 3 retention system
-Blue gun to match the holster if possible

With this stuff I would love to get the items as cheap as possible, used is great, or new if the person bought it and didn't like it and now its just sitting a box collecting dust is awesome. I'm not going to be picky at all. Also these are the descriptions of the items that he gave to us so I'm sure there are many variations of different items and someone in the field would be more versed at what would be best for a basic general item, but I wouldn't know where to begin so I'm open to anything as long as it fits the bill. Also I know this is a shorter time frame but our first Defensive Tactics class is in 2 weeks, and I would assume I'll need the items for that class as there are only a few so we will probably get right into the thick of things right off the bat.

I'm not sure how you think we should do transactions but I'm more then willing to drive places to get items as long as its not like 3 hours, or if mail is best depending on the distance or what not, or just pass along my info to people that have items.

If you can swing it, I'd suggest the Sherpa holster. It's lightning quick to draw and you can quickly secure your weapon by just dropping it into the holster. May not sound like much, but saving a second or two when you go to cuff someone makes a difference.

http://www.blackhawk.com/product/Level-3-Tactical-SERPA-Holster,1179,1416.htm

Leave off the tacticool parts, I use this and love it.

I'm going to vote no on Serpa... go with Safariland ALS.

Sent from my Incredible 2 using Tapatalk 2

I'm going to vote no on Serpa... go with Safariland ALS.

My sentiments exactly. I was issued a Serpa but I much prefer the ALS. I've shot quals with both and find the ALS to be just as fast but more secure.

Safariland ALS is a much more intuitive retention mechanism than the Serpa - for me, it's MUCH faster to draw from and reholster in.

Not a fan of the big silly hood, though - if you're awake, then nobody should be able to grab your gun from the front anyways. We tried a few things at work when we went to that holster, and found that even unopposed, removing someone's weapon from that holster from the front is not so easy at all, even if you're familiar with it and know exactly where that discrete little thumb lever is.

I'm not a fan either... but I have to pick equipment around the lowest common denominator ... sad but true. Some people need all the retention they can get

Jon,

Last time I was up at Match Shot in Gardner, they had a TON of duty belt stuff lying around their store, and the prices looked pretty good. Might want to have your friend give them a try. (Sorry I don't have anything to donate - last stint as [STRIKE= ]an unarmed target[/STRIKE] a security guard was 30 years ago and gear is long since gone!)

I'm not a fan either... but I have to pick equipment around the lowest common denominator ... sad but true. Some people need all the retention they can get

That piece is - or would be, in theory, removable, if someone was so inclined. Of course I still have mine, though.

(In my desk somewhere...)

That piece is - or would be, in theory, removable, if someone was so inclined. Of course I still have mine, though.

(In my desk somewhere...)

I used the Safariland for a couple of years. I removed the 'hood guard' almost as soon as I bought it. All the 'issues' associated with the Sherpa are just as relevant to the ALS. I had my ALS lock up with grime a couple of times, I got to the point where I was cleaning it as often as my gun.

This was my old stomping grounds:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sonoran_Desert

It's about as inhospitable as any place as you'll find, some of the 'stans' have higher mountains.

+1 on the Safariland.
Have him check on Masscops.com, they have a wts thread and if you post up there on his behalf some guys might donate some stuff.

And something else to not skimp on, a good 'tacticool' flashlight. Maglights are great, but sometimes a good small handheld is worth it's weight in gold. Another note, get a LED bulb for the maglight. Batteries last forever.

And something else to not skimp on, a good 'tacticool' flashlight. Maglights are great, but sometimes a good small handheld is worth it's weight in gold. Another note, get a LED bulb for the maglight. Batteries last forever.

My recommendation is a 3 or 4 D cell Maglight with a Malkoff drop in LED bulb. The set up will run you about $70-90, far less than the $135 for the rechargeable setup. You can practically land aircraft with the Malkoff LED and the D batteries last a few months. Beats having to buy a new rechargeable cell every year or two.

http://www.malkoffdevices.com/shop/36-dcell-dropin-to-fit-maglite-p-1.html

Also, Mac's Customs does good work. Located on the North Shore: http://www.macscustoms.com/

Being a Westfield State alum, I sincerely wish I had extra equipment lying around. However, if he is not working anywhere yet, it wouldn't hurt to check eBay for an Uncle mikes nylon rig . If anything else, when he does get on it can be used as a detail setup.

I love the Blackhawk Serpas. Great holster...wish we had them.

My recommendation is a 3 or 4 D cell Maglight with a Malkoff drop in LED bulb. The set up will run you about $70-90, far less than the $135 for the rechargeable setup. You can practically land aircraft with the Malkoff LED and the D batteries last a few months. Beats having to buy a new rechargeable cell every year or two.

http://www.malkoffdevices.com/shop/36-dcell-dropin-to-fit-maglite-p-1.html

Also, Mac's Customs does good work. Located on the North Shore: http://www.macscustoms.com/

Mag lights are great, but can be unwieldy in confined spaces.

Back
Top Bottom