• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Enough is enough with RI gov abusing her power, thinking of solutions

I don't live in Mass, I have no intention of moving to Mass. I know a few things, such as the LTC and FID is necessary to buy a gun.

I believe there is no state background check in Mass because you all have already gone thru one during the LTC/FID application, is this correct? If it is, that means in Mass you have no wait period to take possession of a gun, correct?

I'm asking because we've got a situation down here in RI with the Gov abusing her authority by using the state of emergency declaration to unlawfully increase the wait period for buying a gun from 7 days to up to 30 days (which just so conveniently happens to be the maximum amount of days the Federal 4473 form is valid for) under the excuse that local police departments are unable to complete their background check on purchasers in the 7 day period due to increase in volume.

The only way to avoid the now "up to" 30 day wait is if you have a RI CCW and those are a PITA to get for various and sundry reasons I think you all are aware of and I don't care to take the time to go into it. Basically, if you're in RI you're fugged with the possible 30 day wait unless you bother to jump thru hoops and wait the many months it takes to get the CCW.

So, the wait period was extend back in March and this week was extended to being applicable until June and while it's understandable why the delay was made in March, the police depts should be caught up by now and if they're not, then there's clearly an issue with RI police being able to conduct background checks in a reasonable amount of time and that needs to be addressed. Instead, in violation of RI law, the background checks are being delayed and it is my estimation and others that so long as the state of emergency is declared Gov. Raimondo will continue to extend that 30 day check. At this point it's obvious she's abusing her power for her own ideological goals.

I know I'm preaching to the choir here, but I'm trying to formulate an argument for when I start spamming GOA, local radio, and local journalists and I would like to brush up some on how Mass has things set up because, while the AWB and licenses are unconstitutional, at least you guys aren't being forced to wait 30 days to buy a gun and one of the things that I'm going to harp on is how much of a PITA it is to get a CCW in RI when Mass basically hands them out in comparison.

Since the 7 day waiting law is never going away, one of the ideas I have to resolve the 30 day wait is for RI to introduce a waiver card that so long as you have the card, you don't have to wait the 30 days or 7 days and local police aren't overwhelmed at times with RI background checks. Basically, it's a RI FID card, but no hoops or range qualifications that you have to jump thru like with the CCW.

This is a horrible idea and should not be condoned by any people on here. Its honestly easier and better to get police chiefs to properly issue carry permits than it would be to introduce this stupidity. Stop undermining gun rights. @T-Unit is the literal definition of a FUDD, someone who wants to introduce more gun control to get around gun control.

This is a horrible idea and should not be condoned by any people on here. Its honestly easier and better to get police chiefs to properly issue carry permits than it would be to introduce this stupidity. Stop undermining gun rights. @T-Unit is the literal definition of a FUDD, someone who wants to introduce more gun control to get around gun control.
You're jumping to conclusions, I didn't say that the waiver card would replace the 7 day wait period, I want it to be an optional thing to avoid the wait period because the only other option is a CCW, which is an expensive PITA for people to get.

But no, just react without thinking and use that special word FUDD after I said AWB's are unconstitutional and the bitch governor is abusing her power with unlawfully ordering the wait period be extended.

You're jumping to conclusions, I didn't say that the waiver card would replace the 7 day wait period, I want it to be an optional thing to avoid the wait period because the only other option is a CCW, which is an expensive PITA for people to get.

But no, just react without thinking and use that special word FUDD after I said AWB's are unconstitutional and the bitch governor is abusing her power with unlawfully ordering the wait period be extended.

How about no? And I don't care about your intended faux virtue signalling.

If your idea is so awesome, why aren't you part of Federated?

WTF is federated? What are you talking about?

Wow.

You concoct these hair-brain FUDD schemes to create more gun control in RI, and you don't even know what the leading, overarching gun rights group in RI is? RI Federated Sportsmen is the coalition of gun clubs, hunters, and others who support gun rights and conservation in RI. All the gun clubs get their marching orders from Federated. Federated's board members are the guys organizing the 3000+ person rallies at the state house, which have largely been successful in keeping RI from becoming as bad as Mass or CT.

Further, all the RI pro-2A organizations such as RIFOL, RI Rifle and Revolver, and others also associate with Federated and largely defer to Federated when it comes to big things, such as organizing events and coordinating strategy. Edit: Federated is even involved with the RI 2A Sanctuary town movement.

To not know who Federated is means you're effectively living under a rock and oblivious to what actually happens in the RI 2A community.

FederatedRI

HEY I know. How about you just go to the gun shop, fill out the paperwork and the dealer calls the NICS phone number and you are approved in less than 5 min. then pay for the gun and go home.
Just like Maine. No waiting period, not special cards for guns and/or ammo. Which I think is the norm for most states.

RC

HEY I know. How about you just go to the gun shop, fill out the paperwork and the dealer calls the NICS phone number and you are approved in less than 5 min. then pay for the gun and go home.
Just like Maine. No waiting period, not special cards for guns and/or ammo. Which I think is the norm for most states.

RC

It is.

RC
He, I LOVE that idea too!

But, wait, how likely is that going to be passed by the RI general assembly and then signed by the current governor? About as likely as the Pats winning the Super Bowl next year, which is

And BTW, that's going to be another one of my arguments when I call radio next week. Why is it that something like 40 other states have no state background check system, but RI does?

Join Federated, The RI Second Amendment Coalition and , RI Rifle And revolver and volunteer with them to help. There are a lot of groups working on gun rights here in RI.

Do NOT stat suggesting new laws for these peons to manipulate into more restrictive laws, and especially do not bring Mass laws into this.

Hell, all you have to do if you do not feel like joining one of these groups is Buy a yellow shirt and go stand around a State House Rally.

Last edited:
How do you know your state is a giant pile of sh*t?

When you want it to be more like MA.

Instead if wasting your time trying to learn how the world works in 10 minutes so you can call some radio station no one gives a f*ck about so you can regurgitate a bunch of "this is better but still another law" BS, how about you call the pro 2A associations and ask a simple question: "how can I help you make a difference?"

Last edited:
Join Federated, The RI Second Amendment Coalition and , RI Rifle And revolver and volunteer with them to help. There are a lot of groups working on gun rights here in RI.

Do NOT stat suggesting new laws for these peons to manipulate into more restrictive laws, and especially do not bring Mass laws into this.

Hell, all you have to do if you do not feel like joining one of these groups is Buy a yellow shirt and go stand around a State House Rally.

You don't even have to buy the Yellow Shirt. I got mine for free the first year they came out at the State House, right from Frank Saccocio, and I wore it under a black suit with a tie.

Instead if wasting your time trying to learn how the world works in 10 minutes so you can call some radio station no one gives a f*ck about so you can regurgitate a bunch of "this is better but still another law" BS, how about you call the pro 2A associations and ask a simple question: "how can I help you make a difference?"
Seriously.

The MA system isn't as bad as many people think it is. But that's because they think it's cancer plus AIDS, when it's only cancer. I wouldn't wish it on anyone.

@T-Unit , Remember, in RI you can own firearms without a license. In MA, that's forbidden. Have you paid no attention to the difficulties in MA thanks to our system? Between slow-walked license applications and black/reg/green towns for restrictions, have you somehow missed the countless posts that are nothing but whinging? Hell - most of us are not allowed to teach license classes right now.

And you want to bring this into your state? You want to add city-level fiefdoms where your chief of police's personal whims and prejudices can permanently restrict your ability to purchase/carry a firearm nationwide? You want to add arbitrary shooting tests and letters of reference?

And all because your state is screwing around with with wait times during a time of worldwide (arguably over) response to pandemic? Do you actually believe they won't similarly slow walk licenses?

If your town makes it difficult to get a license, find the RI equivalent of Comm2A and bring a case. Like others said, get active and hang out with people that actually know what they're doing.

Never propose that MA is doing anything WRT Constitutional firearms regulation better than your home state, even if you're in CA or HI.

I've been on the RIFOL forums for a few years now. It's still a hit or miss proposition to get a resident or non resident permit down there. Some departments are good, but as soon as the word gets out, their backlog becomes months, if not years long. Other chiefs will outright lie about not being able to issue permits, some add that impossible to get URI psychological evaluation.

I've considered applying for a non resident permit, but I'm not sure it's worth the effort.

That would be a good area for a pro 2A lawyer to work on. I'd say that's a hint, but somehow I think you already have that idea in your head.

Years ago, i worked as a figurehead for a new company that required me to get my RE broker's licence in all 6 NE states. Already had MA + NH. Guess which state I didnt/couldn't get (in the time period needed) because it was too much time/PITA?
I think the mob controls everything down there.

Because I don't like being part of a collective. With the pro-2A side it's too often an all or nothing approach and for certain states that's the right way to go, but when you're behind enemy lines you have to navigate the terrain differently.

Do you think I like the 7 day wait period? No, I don't, I think it's totally unnecessary because there's already a federal background check, but you know what? With the legislature and governor in RI, it's not going away anytime soon, if ever. In fact, we're probably lucky it's not a mandatory 30 day waiting period with how stupid and anti gun the general voter is.

My suggestion on a waiver card isn't some new law I want that replaces the current wait period, I said it could be an alternative to. Alternative, as in you have a choice: do a 7 day wait every time you buy a gun or fill out a form and get a waiver card in the mail after a few weeks that means you don't have to wait anymore. Didn't say that I want individual police chiefs making the decision on who they approve for the waiver card, I figure the AG's office can issue them.

Better yet, if the various towns and cities in RI would stop putting in these politically appointed chiefs who pussy foot around the shall issue CCW thing and each town has their own requirements for qualifications so people could get a CCW without all the bullsh*t involved, that would be great, but you know what? With how left RI town and city councils are, that's not going to happen.

So, the choice is either sit here and take it, offer alternative ideas, or throw money at pro 2A orgs and hope we get lucky with a lawsuit that lasts 5 or 10 years.

Years ago, i worked as a figurehead for a new company that required me to get my RE broker's licence in all 6 NE states. Already had MA + NH. Guess which state I didnt/couldn't get (in the time period needed) because it was too much time/PITA?
I think the mob controls everything down there.
There was a guy at the club when I first joined I talked to about carry licenses and he said he got the CCW from all states in New England and every state was simple... and then RI was a disaster. He went thru the AG's office and at some point he hired a lawyer to go with him during the appeal I believe (because he was denied the first time) and eventually he got the carry license, but that was after he spent hundreds on the lawyer, the application and licensing fees.

Again, it would be great if all the police chiefs in RI would get in line and support the laws that are on the books, but they're political appointees, not elected officials.

Because I don't like being part of a collective. With the pro-2A side it's too often an all or nothing approach and for certain states that's the right way to go, but when you're behind enemy lines you have to navigate the terrain differently.

Do you think I like the 7 day wait period? No, I don't, I think it's totally unnecessary because there's already a federal background check, but you know what? With the legislature and governor in RI, it's not going away anytime soon, if ever. In fact, we're probably lucky it's not a mandatory 30 day waiting period with how stupid and anti gun the general voter is.

My suggestion on a waiver card isn't some new law I want that replaces the current wait period, I said it could be an alternative to. Alternative, as in you have a choice: do a 7 day wait every time you buy a gun or fill out a form and get a waiver card in the mail after a few weeks that means you don't have to wait anymore. Didn't say that I want individual police chiefs making the decision on who they approve for the waiver card, I figure the AG's office can issue them.

Better yet, if the various towns and cities in RI would stop putting in these politically appointed chiefs who pussy foot around the shall issue CCW thing and each town has their own requirements for qualifications so people could get a CCW without all the bullsh*t involved, that would be great, but you know what? With how left RI town and city councils are, that's not going to happen.

So, the choice is either sit here and take it, offer alternative ideas, or throw money at pro 2A orgs and hope we get lucky with a lawsuit that lasts 5 or 10 years.
Calling a radio station that 100 people are listening to and talking about gun rights for 10 seconds is not going to change anyone's mind.

Spend your energy getting involved with pro 2A organizations instead. Speak with people involved, learn why they are filing suits for certain things and not others.

You mention you would like some sort of card to not have a waiting period, but what makes you think if they ever implement it, that it wont take you just as long, or longer, as getting a CCW?

Calling a radio station that 100 people are listening to and talking about gun rights for 10 seconds is not going to change anyone's mind.

Spend your energy getting involved with pro 2A organizations instead. Speak with people involved, learn why they are filing suits for certain things and not others.

You mention you would like some sort of card to not have a waiting period, but what makes you think if they ever implement it, that it wont take you just as long, or longer, as getting a CCW?
Because a waiver for getting a state background check is different than a permit to carry a gun. It all depends on the language of the law and if such a bill were introduced for a waiver card and it had language to the effect of "good cause or reason" then that would turn me off because it would likely be abused to delay the issuance of a waver card. The waiver card is just that, a waiver to avoid the 7 day delay. There's no need to have to explain why you want a waiver card.

The CCW deal in RI is universally regarded as a massive clusterf*ck and if you want to find out how much of one it is, I encourage you to look into process and get back to me.

Because a waiver for getting a state background check is different than a permit to carry a gun. It all depends on the language of the law and if such a bill were introduced for a waiver card and it had language to the effect of "good cause or reason" then that would turn me off because it would likely be abused to delay the issuance of a waver card. The waiver card is just that, a waiver to avoid the 7 day delay. There's no need to have to explain why you want a waiver card.

The CCW deal in RI is universally regarded as a massive clusterf*ck and if you want to find out how much of one it is, I encourage you to look into process and get back to me.
A waiver is different, I agree. But who writes the laws?

They can make it take as long as they want.

I like the energy, why dont you go talk to the local pro 2A organizations, tell them what you want to fight for (even if on your own) and ask for opinions?

A waiver is different, I agree. But who writes the laws?

They can make it take as long as they want.

I like the energy, why dont you go talk to the local pro 2A organizations, tell them what you want to fight for (even if on your own) and ask for opinions?
The shitheads at the statehouse write the laws, but the point is they have to put language in the bill to keep the enforcing/issuing authority from delaying the issuance of waivers (or CCW permits) from becoming unreasonable.

The problem is the state reps are wishy washy. Some are pro gun, some are not, a lot are on the fence. They are more interested in taxes and revenues and, naturally, a waiver card to avoid a background check is a cost savings on local police resources. Of course if such a law for a waiver card were passed, there would probably be a fee every renewal period, so it would be a revenue boost, but the fee has to be kept from becoming excessive.

I'm fine with paying $20 every year or two to avoid a 7 day wait or worse, a 30 day wait. Again, would I like there to be no state background check? Sure, at least one that doesn't take 7 days. If it was an instant check, I wouldn't give a crap.

I think I will talk to local pro gun groups, but I'm not joining them.

at least you guys aren't being forced to wait 30 days to buy a gun

I must have missed something, then, the likely dozens of people in MA who just had guns trapped at FFLs for over a month because their dealers couldn't release
them. If it were not for the federal court ruling, some would still be trapped.

one of the things that I'm going to harp on is how much of a PITA it is to get a CCW in RI when Mass basically hands them out in comparison.

Lol how ignorant are you really? There are a lot of towns in RI where it's far easier to get a town carry license than it is in a typical MA town. A lot of towns in MA still pull
obstructionist bullshit and drag out appointments and such for weeks and months. Go to one of the big dump cities in MA and apply for an LTC and tell me how it
goes. Oh and by the way, assuming your on the move in exemption, you can't even legally take any of your guns etc out of the house during that interval, which can take anywhere from 1-3
months on a new app in a shit town.

Let's not forget the towns have unlawful requirements here in terms of "must have fresh safety cert less than a year old" etc, etc, ad nauseam.

Since the 7 day waiting law is never going away, one of the ideas I have to resolve the 30 day wait is for RI to introduce a waiver card that so long as you have the card, you don't have to wait the 30 days or 7 days and local police aren't overwhelmed at times with RI background checks. Basically, it's a RI FID card, but no hoops or range qualifications that you have to jump thru like with the CCW.

Lol, good luck with that. Realistically, you'd be far better off trying to lead an initiative to make obtaining the carry license more simple and consistent.

-Mike

I must have missed something, then, the likely dozens of people in MA who just had guns trapped at FFLs for over a month because their dealers couldn't release
them. If it were not for the federal court ruling, some would still be trapped.

Lol how ignorant are you really? There are a lot of towns in RI where it's far easier to get a town carry license than it is in a typical MA town. A lot of towns in MA still pull
obstructionist bullshit and drag out appointments and such for weeks and months. Go to one of the big dump cities in MA and apply for an LTC and tell me how it
goes. Oh and by the way, assuming your on the move in exemption, you can't even legally take any of your guns etc out of the house during that interval, which can take anywhere from 1-3
months on a new app in a shit town.

Let's not forget the towns have unlawful requirements here in terms of "must have fresh safety cert less than a year old" etc, etc, ad nauseam.

Lol, good luck with that. Realistically, you'd be far better off trying to lead an initiative to make obtaining the carry license more simple and consistent.

-Mike
The guns were stuck there because the governor closed the shops, not because of any law requiring a wait time for the state to do a background check. Two totally different things.

I don't know everything about how Mass does the LTC, I'm ignorant in that regard, but it seems like it's not as difficult as it is going thru towns in RI and I'm not sure what the deal is with RI and safety qualifications for their CCW.

I agree on the last part, but each town and city is going to be different, but a law passed by the general assembly is a lot faster to get done than convincing all these towns/cities to follow suit. Better yet would be to get the law changed and make the AG's office go from being may issues to shall issue, but there's no chance of that happening because I have no doubt that it's been tried before, many times.

I try to think of ideas that are realistic and not stick my dick in the ground and scream not another inch because the people you're trying to convince aren't going to listen to such a hardcore approach. Convincing people that a waiver will reduce strain on local police resources is a better argument than telling them CCW should be easier to get (which it should) but again, it's not realistic outside of lengthy and expensive lawsuits.

Rhode Island sucks but at least get the facts straight. There is not a 30 day wait, it is still seven . The police have just asked for a little extra time if need be because of the virus. I have bought a pistol and I know two other individuals who have purchased firearms and none of us waited more than the seven days. The 30 day extension is for renewal or new license to carry.

The guns were stuck there because the governor closed the shops, not because of any law requiring a wait time for the state to do a background check. Two totally different things.

I don't know everything about how Mass does the LTC, I'm ignorant in that regard, but it seems like it's not as difficult as it is going thru towns in RI and I'm not sure what the deal is with RI and safety qualifications for their CCW.

I agree on the last part, but each town and city is going to be different, but a law passed by the general assembly is a lot faster to get done than convincing all these towns/cities to follow suit. Better yet would be to get the law changed and make the AG's office go from being may issues to shall issue, but there's no chance of that happening because I have no doubt that it's been tried before, many times.

I try to think of ideas that are realistic and not stick my dick in the ground and scream not another inch because the people you're trying to convince aren't going to listen to such a hardcore approach. Convincing people that a waiver will reduce strain on local police resources is a better argument than telling them CCW should be easier to get (which it should) but again, it's not realistic outside of lengthy and expensive lawsuits.
Licensing in MA is so simple that Len teaches a 6 hr class on it and every 4th post on this forum is someone discovering the pleasure that is our system.

Back
Top Bottom