• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

English Springer Spaniel - rescue in MA

That link takes me nowhere, but I did have a springer growing up. Best dog ever for a kid. He would jump out of the boat and try to rescue me when I fell water skiing. He once dove off the dock and came up with a watersnake in his mouth. Once ate a litter of kittens (OK, he just killed them). And best of all, when my uncle was showing off his new cabin, he jumped up on and took a shit on, a brand new white couch--never had or ever did anything like that before or again. Still makes me laugh just thinking about it.

I trained all me Springers to retrieve money. Seriously!

As pups, after they were retriever trained to bring back a ball, sit, heel and stay, I would put out a couple US bills while the pup was at stay in the other room. I would go back and send them to retrieve by the command, "fetch" and they would go out and bring back one of the bills.

As they grew up I would continue the training with pheasant wings, and sent and would occasionally toss out a couple dollars inside the house and they would bring them back. I noticed that the dogs would consistently bring back a larger denomination bill instead of a smaller one. I would have fun with friends having them put put two different denomination bills, with ought me touching them and would send them out to retrieve, "the big one" and the dogs would constantly return with the larger bill.

I made a few bucks on bets doing this and one day when speaking with a friend that was with the DEA, he said, "Of course! It is easy to explain. You trained your dogs to return with money and they would bring back the ones with a sent of Cocaine!"

I was aghast and asked how and why. He explained, "All used money is contaminated with cocaine. If you have over 3K in used bills in your possession, I could arrest you for possession. There is enough residue on 3K of used bills to detect possession of cocaine."

I enjoyed those dogs and leashed them when walking past a bank.

Back
Top Bottom