Enfield Question

Garys

NES Member
I was looking at a No5 Mk1 today with an eye towards a purchase. I really need to get myself under control, but that's a different story.

Anyway, I noticed something that I had somehow never paid attention to on my other Enfields. On the left side of the receiver, near the front there is a whole drilled into the receiver. When the bolt is closed, you can see a bit of the bolt head through it. What drew my attention was that I could see the bolt head and through to the other side. When I got home, I looked at my other Enfields and the same hole is there, but when the bolt is closed, there is no light coming through.

The price on this rifle is cheap enough that I can let it be a wall hanger if it's not shootable. Still, I'd like to know what this hole is for and if it's safe to shoot this way? If it's not safe, is there a way to fix this and make it safe?

Thanks,

Gary

I think its for excess gas pressure to escape, I could be wrong but i've seen and own a few rifles with this.
As for the #5, check to make sure its a real Jungle Carbine and not a CAI butchered #4. Plus check for pitting below the wood line. Lots of rifles came in recently from the Phillipines that had pitting so bad below the wood line where the stock sits that they're unsafe to shoot.
I used to want a #5 till I read a few things about accuracy not being good and what shoulder busters they are. For a carbine bolt rifle i'll stick with my Steyr M95s and Mosin M38s/M44s. Cheaper and better accuracy.

Milsurps 4 Me said:
I think its for excess gas pressure to escape, I could be wrong but i've seen and own a few rifles with this.
As for the #5, check to make sure its a real Jungle Carbine and not a CAI butchered #4. Plus check for pitting below the wood line. Lots of rifles came in recently from the Phillipines that had pitting so bad below the wood line where the stock sits that they're unsafe to shoot.

Thanks for the answer. It makes sense about the gas escape, I was just wondering about the gap.

I don't think this is a recent import. The guy I'm getting it from has been collecting for several years and has had this one for a while. I didn't notice any import markings. The reciever is marked No5Mk1 ROF(F) 1/46 and then the serial number which I forget. It's also been sporterized at some time in the past with the handguard removed and the fore end cut down. Other than that, it looks all original.

I've heard about the accuracy and the recoil, but it's mostly, if not totally, going to be a wall hanger.

Gary

Back
Top Bottom