Enfield 2A in .308 NATO

Are they the Ishapore rebuilds? If so, I've been looking to get one of those, but haven't seen one in person yet (hoping to find one at the show tommorow. I've been itching for an Enfield for a while, but I like the availabillity and price of the .308 over the .303 Brit.

From reading the ad they seem like new production, made in the 1960s. They don't sound like rebuilds and conversions from older No1MkIII rifles.

Gary

They're ugly rifles to begin with and come finished ugly with black paint glopped on everywhere. Lots of clean up I heard is involved in making them even shootable in some cases because the paint is caked on the safety, bolt, etc.
I was thinking of getting one but don't know what the deal is with a company shipping the standard 2A magazine which is 12 rounds. I think we get the shaft here in Mass and get stuck with an aftermarket 10 rounder. If you order one let me know how it went because I heard the supplier has a problem shipping to Mass C&R holders.
Heres some reading info for ya though:

<< Ishapore 2A/2A1- The Last Lee-Enfield
At some point just after the Sino-Indian War of 1963, the Ishapore Rifle Factory in India began producing a new type of rifle known as the Rifle 7.62 mm 2A, which was based on the SMLE Mk III* and reworked to use the 7.62 mm NATO round. Externally the rifle is very similar to the classic Mk III*, with the exception of the magazine- which is more "square" and usually carries twelve rounds instead of ten, although a number of 2A1s have been noted with 10 round magazines. Ishapore 2A/2A1 rifles are made with strengthened steel (to handle the increased pressures of the 7.62x51 round), and the extractor is redesigned to cope with the rimless round. From 1965-1975 (when production is believed to have been discontinued), the sights were changed from 2000 m to 800 m, and the rifle re-designated Rifle 7.62 mm 2A1.

There are no other differences between the Ishapore 2A and 2A1 rifles, but they are often incorrectly described as ".308 conversions". It must be stressed that the 2A/2A1 rifles are not conversions of .303 calibre SMLE Mk III* rifles- they are new manufacture, and are not technically chambered for commercial .308 Winchester ammunition. However, many 2A/2A1 owners shoot commercial .308 Winchester ammunition in their rifles with no problems, although it must be stressed .308 Winchester does generate higher pressures than 7.62x51 NATO, even though the rounds are otherwise interchangeable. The Ishapore 2A1 has the distinction of being the last non-sniper military bolt action rifle ever designed and issued to an armed force, and they are becoming increasingly popular with civilian shooters and collectors in the US, UK, and Australia as the supplies of affordable .303 British ammunition fluctuate.>>

This was taken from: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lee-Enfield

Pete's in Hudson NH has a 2A1 that's been converted into a jungle carbine for around $250. I've heard they're good shooters.

As always, thanks to everyone for the replies. I'm pretty sure I'm going to hold off on this for now. Although I already have three No4 SMLE variations and I've always thought the No1 a bit ugly, I do want to get one for my collection. Thinking about it however, I'll probably get a .303 version just for the sense of consistency.

Gary

Thats what I did. I picked up this beauty at a gun show last year.

0024745b.jpg

90cd3cc5.jpg

I think the price was $200 and its mint inside and out.

The 2A does have some appeal though. I thought for a while about getting one and may do so if I see one at a show. Even though a gun show Enfield fethces a higher price, at least you're not gambling on the money you'd spend if you paid to have one shipped and returned if it didn't meet your standards, plus the disapointment involved in the whole process.
Nothing worse than having the BBT drop off a long box and you find a sewer pipe inside.[sad2]

That's why I'm waiting for gun show season to start up again. The guy I bought my No4Mk2 from had a few No1's as well. I don't remember the condition, but if he's at one of the next shows and still have them, I'm going to give them a good look.

Gary

Enfield 2A in .308

Garys have you been up to Afordable Firearms in Pelham N.H. on Rt-38 ??
he has some nice No1-Mk-3s in his rack!! I also have one of the ISHIE,s
in 308 and Mil-4 is right on as far as thay are not re-builds, thay were
as he stated built New!! mine is a 1968 and painted black, and i believe
that the only State that gets differant mags is Kalifornia, so far not in Mass
and they is ugly but thay Do shoot!! they made alot less than the .303s
so if you want, one grab it now, because i will bet this is tha last shipment
comeing in!! Bite the Bullet, buy it now!!

Take Care Sheriff Dudley.

Thanks. I've never heard of the place, which probably says more about me than it does about the shop.

I'll have to take a spin up there some Saturday.

Gary

Back
Top Bottom