• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Emergency Mylar Blanket - 52" x 84" - Pack of 12 Blankets

Bought them from there a couple of weeks ago. Good deal to keep a few in each vehicle. Better than nothing and can be useful for a few things if needed. Many people dislike them and disregard the usefulness but I also try to keep one of the Heatsheets Emergency Blankets too.

I've tried using those emergency blankets in a few situations:

*Elk hunting in Colorado Rockies..... snow storm came in unexpectedly (as it does out there in the Fall).. I was 2 miles from base camp, but a rugged walk considering the storm. Since I had everything I needed for a night over in the woods, I set up camp, and wrapped the mylar around me.

*Winter Wilderness Survival Camping with the Scouts.... Built a small shelter next to a blow down, and crawled in for the night, wrapping the mylar around me.

In both instances, I found that the mylar doesn't breathe at all. And, the increasing amount of moisture in my clothes, especially during the deep cold, totally OFFSET any benefit that the reflected heat gave.

Bottom line: Those blankets are OK for short term temporary use, like while transporting some injured person to the hospital. Or, perhaps wrapping someone who has been in icy water when there are no other blankets around.

But, they are NOT good for general sleeping use in long term survival situations.

Good info Duke...thanks. I heard similar comments before about the moisture issue. Also heard they are best if only nearly directly next to body without much clothing so it will retain heat better. I still think they would make good ground cover or above cover shelter. For the compact emergency use I think they are good. Nice for the vehicles.

Correct me if I'm wrong but the premise behind those blankets is two fold:
1) They block the wind/eliminating wind-chill
2) They reflect infrared radiation from the body back to the body

Therefore perhaps you could use them in other ways (such as part of a shelter) instead of on/around the body directly? I imagine in a branch hut of sorts- they could do a great job of keeping some heat from leaving through the ceiling (and blocking drafts- when combined with some duct tape). Then you could leave ventilation at the bottom to keep moisture down/minimize warm air loss...

When I was in scouts we did a two night wilderness survival trip. First day blanket was around me- I woke up soaked (awful). Next night it was "stapled" (using twigs) to the top/walls of the tent. My shelter was warmer than my neighbors...

What I was trying to point out, for the n00bie survivalists among you, is that the emergency "BLANKET" is mis-named. It should be called an general purpose mylar reflector sheet. Calling it a blanket makes most people think to wrap it around themselves, as you would a normal blanket.
It will not replace a sleeping bag if caught in a long term disaster.

It's a short term keep the wind off of you, or very short term keep you warmer than you would have otherwise been, wrap.
It's purpose as a longer term item, as has been pointed out, is as a shelter material.

Then again, when the SHTF, I don't want my bivvy reflecting my whereabouts. I'd rather just build a bivvy from local materials, and blend into the background.

Have done a lot of that, and have lived very comfortably without the NASA "space blanket"

Got mine the other day. For some reason, I remember them as being much "bigger" (in packaged thickness) in my youth. My wallet is fatter actually than a single one of these "blankets". No complaints though for the $$. They are what they are...

Back
Top Bottom