Elon Musk's Boring Company Flame Thrower

Looked nice until I saw the plumbers torch ignition system (I guess the sources for original ignition cylinders dried up long ago
or are no longer usable), even the new production ones use the same plumbers torch system.

I would have thought that something a lot less bulky could be used instead like an electronic system (stun gun), or a much
smaller torch.

It looks like his novelty thrower throws out a flame based on a gas fuel, rather than incidigel or some similar component designed to stick and burn. The difference is in maximizing destructive potential vs. fun and cool visual effect.

It appears he announced a limit of 20,000. Not sure if this is to avoid having a federal ban promoted, or to force "Fear of loss" pre-sales.

I'm guessing it offers about the same level of incendiary excitement as an agricultural torch used to burn weeds, over growth, etc.

As predicted:
California politician will seek sale ban on Elon Musk’s Boring Company flamethrower
“The state of California and the county and city of Los Angeles have entrusted Mr. Musk to help alleviate a real public policy problem here by executing a tunnel under the city to help alleviate traffic,” writes Santiago, commenting on the city of Los Angeles’ ongoing relationship with The Boring Company. The company has received permits to build a two-mile test tunnel in the Culver City suburb, where Musk’s private spaceflight company SpaceX is headquartered. “This deviation feels like a slap in the face.” Santiago at first thought news of The Boring Company’s flamethrower sale was a joke. The bulk of his statement, which includes a Spider-Man reference, lays out his argument against handing the public a fire-breathing firearm:
Like most Americans, I am in awe in of Mr. Musk’s genius — the brains behind Tesla, PayPal, SolarCity, and Space X. But as President Truman and Stan Lee have taught us all, ‘With great power comes great responsibility.’ There are many times in which technology and inventions benefit society, but are not made available to the public. We don’t allow people to walk in off the street and purchase military-grade tanks or armor-piercing ammunition. I cannot even begin to image the problems a flamethrower would cause firefighters and police officers alike.
News of Musk’s flamethrower sale came last week, seemingly making good on what appeared to be a joke Musk tweeted out back in December about moving on from The Boring Company’s hat sale to a flamethrower one. (We know now Musk was, in fact, not joking.) The announcement came accompanied by a still image of the weapon and then an Instagram video of Boring Company representatives using working models, alongside a torrent of other Musk tweets and promotional material put out on social media. One follow-up video included Musk running at the camera deviously wielding the flamethrower himself.

I wonder what kind of lawsuits they'll face after these are used improperly?

When you're marketing this as a surefire way to liven up a party"

"Guaranteed to liven up any party!
World's safest flamethrower!"

Most of the parties I attend or throw have alcohol involved. WOOHOO, a bunch of drunks with a flame thrower. What could possibly go wrong??? OMG... LiveLeak will be inundated with videos of crazy shit people will do.

An making it look like a storm trooper weapon is brilliant, until some kids get hold of it and burn the house down or set their friends on fire. I'm thinking attractive nuisance lawsuits will flourish!

WTF is he thinking? What is wrong with this picture?

The end is near for Musk/Tesla/BoringCompany, me thinks. It's just a matter of time.

And SpaceX's launch capabilities are of no value to the US taxpayer? How many millions are way paying the Russians for rides on their proton rockets? I'm not gonna fault a guy from taking advantage of how our gov works, just like I don't fault Trump (or anyone else) for paying as little by way of taxes as they legally can.

Mike

Wait, that's it?? Thats like a slightly more powerful shrink wrap torch. The other ones are wayyyyy cooler.
Yeah. I think further up the thread folks pointed out, it's just a re-skinned weed burner. It's a torch, not a flamethrower; you can buy the equivalent at Tractor Supply. And now CA is soiling themselves over "OMG, how is that legalz!!?!"

Honestly, makes me wonder if Musk is doing us all a solid in trolling the most reactive, just to get this party started.

It looks like his novelty thrower throws out a flame based on a gas fuel, rather than incidigel or some similar component designed to stick and burn. The difference is in maximizing destructive potential vs. fun and cool visual effect.

It appears he announced a limit of 20,000. Not sure if this is to avoid having a federal ban promoted, or to force "Fear of loss" pre-sales.

Update:

Already sold out.

45,000 members here and only 20,000 units made and sold.
Admit it, at least a few of you bought one of these.

[laugh]

The Boring Company will soon do 'pickup parties' for flamethrower buyers

Elon Musk's The Boring Company recently sold 20,000 flamethrowers and will soon be holding pickup parties so customers can get their hands on them.

"I thought it was a joke, quite frankly," Assemblyman Miguel Santiago said.

When Santiago realized Musk really was going ahead with it, Santiago wrote a bill attempting to limit the company's sales.

"We found out that anybody can market a flamethrower so long as it's less than 10 feet, no matter how wide the flame is, and there's absolutely no regulation for it. We can just go ahead and do this and that's what alarmed us," he said.

But the gun lobby, among other groups, objected to the bill even though flamethrowers - despite the name - are not firearms. The bill was soon watered down, requiring only safety labels. But even then the bill ended up shelved.

Last edited:
Wasn't Aqua Net the best? That shit worked better than anything else!

Way back in the 80's hair days I saw a woman lean a bit too close to a pu-pu platter and whoosh, flaming bangs. Her boyfriend or husband smacked it out fast with his hands or the napkin but wow, what a stench. Aqua Net/Hair Napalm had to have been involved.

One of the deodorants was good too, I remember a friend of mine chasing us around the house with a can and a lighter and another friend holding up a blanket like a shield. The flaming two foot hole through the blanket put an end to the fun. Bunch of idiots.

I just got an email from Keep Shooting, they have a few of these in stock, but they're more than triple the original $600 estimated price:

The Boring Company Not-a-Flamethrower | Keepshooting

boring-company-not-a-flame-thrower_1.jpg

I ordered one for sh*ts and giggles but haven't received it yet. Might be the best investment I've made this year! I'll sell it and buy a nice gun instead!!!

:)

Looks more like Elon Musk 500 dollar creme brulee torch.

I gave no mind to this when it went live. But they had one on Pawn Stahhhz a week or two ago. I was underwhelmed. It's like those torches used to put down tar roofs (rooves? Or is that just how it's pronounced?) and such. An ice-melter. He put a stock on it. Big deal.

Although, on the flip-side, he got a s-ton of people to think he's the S-word and give him several hundred dollars for a $100 product. Elon Musk - the PT Barnum of his generation. Come see the Egress. Egress this way. Don't miss the Egress!

Back
Top Bottom