• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Electrolysis Rust Removal

Artie

NES Member
Has anyone used the electrolysis method (LINK)to remove rust from a gun? What were your results? A friend asked me to help him with repairing and cleaning up a Winchester Model 64 from 1955. My biggest concern is will it ruin the bluing? The way I understand some bluing is it is a form of rust? Is the Winchesters from 1955 one of these with rust bluing? I was able to repair the gun with a new old mainspring and loading gate cover from eBay. Cleaned and lubed and successfully shot it, bore was surprisingly clean. Fun gun. Now he wants to clean the rust and I am afraid that he will damage it or possibly remove any value that it might possibly have. I offered up the electrolysis method and it seems the safest. Any advice and opinions. Thanks

Use washing soda and it should not hurt the blueing.
It attacks the rust or iron oxide.

I don't think the value of that gun is in danger. It's either going to be a rusty gun or a cleaned up and patch blued gun...
?

looks like a junker... send it my way and you won't have to worry about it....

I have not used that method but have used evapo rust. amazing product. It will strip the blue right off though.

Use washing soda and it should not hurt the blueing.
It attacks the rust or iron oxide.
Thanks for the response. Will try it with small parts 1st. Already grabbed the Arm & Hammer Super Washing Soda. I have read use the 2 amp/6 volt setting of the charger. Do you agree? Will post pics if he gives me the OK to go ahead

I've done it to blued parts before with good luck. I just checked it periodically and stopped at the point the hematite was gone but the magnetite hadn't. I wouldn't be too concerned with retaining the original finish on that rifle.

Yes I have. I restored my wife's grandfather's BYF 44 Kar 98 that had complete surface rust. When I was done, the original German bluing was intact. It was in maybe 4 hours.

I posted the results in a thread about it several years ago on surplusrifleforum.com

Last edited:
It will pull any iron oxide right off the gun. The little nooks and crannies will be free of rust as long as liquid can get into the spaces. I've used it to get rust off of steel rims. Even after sand blasting them, I was amazed at the amount of rust that came off.

I am familiar with electrolysis for removing copper from bores, how do you do it for entire rifles/pistols?

I am familiar with electrolysis for removing copper from bores, how do you do it for entire rifles/pistols?

The process is the same although the chemicals vary. I use amonia for removing built up copper in old bores. IIRC ammonia will remove bluing?

Last edited:
Electrolysis is very cool. Give it a shot and report back. Check it frequently.
Finally did the electrolysis but not on the Winchester mentioned in the OP. We were afraid to damage the blue...that was left. I successfully did it on a rusty bnz 45 Mauser. No blue left to worry about but it did a great job of removing the rust. I broke it down and suspended all the parts off of non-coated/treated baling wire that is tied to a piece of rebar that was cleaned up for good contact. Used 1 tablespoon of washing soda per gallon of water and used 2 smaller pieces of rebar as the sacrificial steel. I didn't notice a difference using 12V/2 amp or 6 amp. About 4hrs later, all the rust was gone. Rinsed off with tap water, quickly dried with towel and then saturated with WD40. Cleaned everything down with Hoppes and then liberally applied gun oil. Very cool process that was successful for me.

I did an Arisaka a little while back. I was very impressed with the results. Used the wash powder and a tin can as the anode. Left @ 2 hrs. Bluing remained intact.

I have done it a couple times, the latest on a 1863 Springfield rifled musket that was in horrendous condition. I took a bunch of pictures to document it and started a thread about it. The next rainy day I will update it.

- - - Updated - - -

I have done it a couple times, the latest on a 1863 Springfield rifled musket that was in horrendous condition. I took a bunch of pictures to document it and started a thread about it. The next rainy day I will update it.
https://www.northeastshooters.com/vbulletin/threads/327809-Springfield-1863-restoration

Back
Top Bottom