• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Ejected cartridges....Ouch!!!

I have a Colt "Defender" 1911 pistol. It's a great little gun, with one problem. The spent cartridges eject very quickly, and backwards. This is a problem, since they frequently land on my face (I do wear a hat and goggles when shooting). This can be quite distracting, and a hot cartridge can hurt a little.

My question is: Is there any adjustment I can make to fore the ejector to throw the rounds in a different direction?

Thanks..

Oftentimes a competent gunsmith can fix this problem.

Don't know anyone up in NH, but you could ask one of the 3 pro-gun groups up there (assuming you are a member) or ask Jim McLoud at Manchester Firing Line for a recommendation to a good 1911 gunsmith.

I had the same problem with one of my 1911's. Ron Strickland told me to remove the ejector and very gently but firmly bend it..slightly.

Remove the ejector. With the ejector sitting on the table in the same relative position you removed it...trace the shape onto a piece of paper. Then image holding both ends firmly and pressing in the center toward the right. That's the direction you want to bend it...as if you were making a backwards 'c'. If you can picture that, pick it up, grabbing the ends with pliers and bend gently until you can just see a slight difference than what you traced on the paper.

It doesn't take much bending to make a difference.

It's what I did and it worked fine.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom