Dented Ejected Brass

mannydog

NES Member
Went to the range with a buddy of mine today and shot his brand-new Sig SCM 5.56. We were using unknown 5.56 ammo and Federal AE .223. Both ammo ejected with dents/scores in the brass, some with multiple dents/scores, and the rims were flattened slightly on one side. Not just some of them, all of them. I ran the same ammo through my AR, no problem. The dents/scores shown on the attached crappy photos aren't even the worst of them. Any idea what's going on here? Thanks.

dented-1.jpg dented-2.jpg

Some do some don't. My AR doesn't thankfully.

If you are reloading it try sizing a couple of cases to see if the dents come out.

Not sure why some will dent but M-16s tend to spit out dented brass.

He's not reloading and neither am I right now. Am understanding correctly that this is not all that uncommon?
As far as the Sig goes, I liked it , felt real good. Spent casings seemed to eject more forcefully and to the front-right more so than other ARs. Is that a piston thing do you think?

I believe shell deflector is what is denting the sides of the case.

I have no idea about the neck

Last edited by a moderator:
YMMV. I reload my ammo and any dented brass goes into the scrap bucket unless it's for a bolt gun or single shot handgun.

If not reloading, what difference does it make?

It won't affect the gun.

My Daewoo rifles (K1 and K2) dent every brass at the mouth. K2 is piston-based and K1 is direct impingement.

My sig 556 also dents brass not every round but it does. The way these rifles eject the round with such force it doesnt surprise me. Many rounds in i have had no jams of any kind and love the rifle.

He's not reloading and neither am I right now. Am understanding correctly that this is not all that uncommon?
As far as the Sig goes, I liked it , felt real good. Spent casings seemed to eject more forcefully and to the front-right more so than other ARs. Is that a piston thing do you think?

The SIG is not an AR by any means. The entire bolt/piston system is copied from an AK-47 with only minor modifications. The only thing related to an AR on it is the pistol grip, stock and magwell. So it will not eject like an AR.

Yes it does throw them forward and to the right about 2 o'clock. This is lots of fun at indoor ranges. No brass to clean up or bouncing off the wall and smacking into you.

Make sure your gas knob is in the correct position (vertical). If on position 2 (angled) it will be extremely forcefull on the piston/bolt and according to the SIG manual will damage it if run like this when the gun is not dirty. This extra force could be smashing the casing

Back
Top Bottom