• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

EFA-10 Out of State

If you were to purchase a non large capacity long gun in NH from a private seller and do a transfer at a NH FFL how do you go about the registration process?

Obviously you file an eFA-10 but how do you properly fill it out to be compliant? As I understand it the FA-10 is registering the transfer of firearms but how does one fill it out if it is an out of state acquisition?

Thanks for any and all help

Very carefully!

Use "Registration" option only.

Do NOT put info on the form about where you got the gun. Merely fill out info on the gun and yourself (new owner) and that is all.

I thought I had read that in other forums but it didn't seem super clear. Thanks for the verification!

I really appreciate the help! Thank you very much!

Just a heads up.

Federal law requires that you buy guns out of state through a dealer. So if you do a private sale in NH, you are breaking federal law.

Unless you have a weekend/vacation home in NH that you regularly spend time in. In that case the Feds consider you to be a resident of NH with respect to purchasing a firearm.

Also. I second Len's admonition to NOT fill out any seller info. It is none of MA's business what you do when you are not in MA.
Simply leave seller info blank and submit the form.

And to support that point, I don't think it's even possible. A NH dealer won't have a MA license number so I don't believe you can complete it even if you wanted to? I've never tried, but have read this a few times.

Just a heads up.

Federal law requires that you buy guns out of state through a dealer. So if you do a private sale in NH, you are breaking federal law.

Unless you have a weekend/vacation home in NH that you regularly spend time in. In that case the Feds consider you to be a resident of NH with respect to purchasing a firearm.

As I understand it that would be the purpose of having an FFL process the transfer? The actual change of possession is through them?

Back
Top Bottom