EDC vs. GHB

just wondering if I'm missing anything here...

So I have my GHB in my car - which I am never more than 200 ft away from - and in it I have just about whatever I need to get home from anywhere between 20-40 miles. As for my EDC, I do not work for a pro 2A company and am not willing to risk my job even though I know "concealed means concealed."

Right now I carry a Leatherman MUT EOD multi-tool, a Spyderco Native FRN, and a HDS EDC tacticool flashlight. Is there anything else that is vital that should be part of my EDC that can't just go in the GHB? I was thinking about adding mace/pepper spray and hoping that if my company found out they'd be cool considering it wasn't a gun (and they know I CCW outside of work). But, I keep toying with the idea of locking a pistol up under my car seat, which under MGL I believe I can since I have an unrestricted class A. However, I've also heard that if my car ever got boosted and my gun went missing, I'd be fu--ed, no matter what. But I can't escape that nagging feeling I'd rather be judged by 12 than carried by 6...

Oh, my EDC stuff just goes in my pockets, so I'm not carrying any sort of pack inside work. I could throw some stuff in my laptop/messenger bag and have fairly quick access to it, but I 'aint carrying a fannypack like some people here do! So is there anything I don't have immediate access to that I should?

So I have my GHB in my car - which I am never more than 200 ft away from - and in it I have just about whatever I need to get home from anywhere between 20-40 miles. As for my EDC, I do not work for a pro 2A company and am not willing to risk my job even though I know "concealed means concealed."

Right now I carry a Leatherman MUT EOD multi-tool, a Spyderco Native FRN, and a HDS EDC tacticool flashlight. Is there anything else that is vital that should be part of my EDC that can't just go in the GHB? I was thinking about adding mace/pepper spray and hoping that if my company found out they'd be cool considering it wasn't a gun (and they know I CCW outside of work). But, I keep toying with the idea of locking a pistol up under my car seat, which under MGL I believe I can since I have an unrestricted class A. However, I've also heard that if my car ever got boosted and my gun went missing, I'd be fu--ed, no matter what. But I can't escape that nagging feeling I'd rather be judged by 12 than carried by 6...

Oh, my EDC stuff just goes in my pockets, so I'm not carrying any sort of pack inside work. I could throw some stuff in my laptop/messenger bag and have fairly quick access to it, but I 'aint carrying a fannypack like some people here do! So is there anything I don't have immediate access to that I should?

Your gun is perfectly legal while unloaded in a locked box in your vehicle. IANAL and LenS will come along and correct me if I'm wrong, but I'm pretty confident I'm not in this case.

You might add a para cord bracelet and a lighter. Other than that, I think you've got it covered... Aside from maybe a burn phone and passports/currency from a variety of countries. ;-)

Your gun is perfectly legal while unloaded in a locked box in your vehicle. IANAL and LenS will come along and correct me if I'm wrong, but I'm pretty confident I'm not in this case.

You might add a para cord bracelet and a lighter. Other than that, I think you've got it covered... Aside from maybe a burn phone and passports/currency from a variety of countries. ;-)

Well, "perfectly legal" and "Mass firearms laws" usually don't go hand in hand! Frankly I'm worried that if I got "caught" with a gun under my seat I'd be "unsuitable" regardless of the law.

The paracord bracelet is a great idea. Never really considered that. Do you have a car escape tool? That's one thing I don't have - just assumed I'd use my knife if I needed to, but I think I should get something spring loaded though don't know too much about them.

Well, "perfectly legal" and "Mass firearms laws" usually don't go hand in hand! Frankly I'm worried that if I got "caught" with a gun under my seat I'd be "unsuitable" regardless of the law.

The paracord bracelet is a great idea. Never really considered that. Do you have a car escape tool? That's one thing I don't have - just assumed I'd use my knife if I needed to, but I think I should get something spring loaded though don't know too much about them.

Good thought about the car escape tool. Like you, I figure to use my knife if it came down to breaking a window.

The lighter, Zippo or butane, shouldn't be discounted, as a timely flame can save your life in many ways.

I still say I'd never want to be caught away from home without a firearm at least in my vehicle. Sweating the "what-if" negative possibilities of that just don't outweigh the utility of that tool, IMHO.

My buddy got his pistol stolen from his locked glove box in Taunton. It happened in his driveway. Filed a police report and was done with it. Never lost his license or anything.

Two is one, one is none. I keep a Swiss Army Knife, lighter and lip balm in my pocket at all times. my work bag has a wool/poly hat, lightweight down jacket, FAK, flashlight, headlamp,water bottle and umbrella, this is in addition to the various pens papers etc... this is to get me to my car, or home in case I can't get to my car.

Basically the car is my robust kit, the work bag is my minimalist kit

Personally id rather a concealed gun on my hip than locked in my truck. No one has ever made me, even a small opistol beats no pistol.

Two is one, one is none.

Good point. I've forgotten that.

Personally id rather a concealed gun on my hip than locked in my truck. No one has ever made me, even a small opistol beats no pistol.

Me too, but I'd also rather be employed than not. Maybe I'll re-evaluate once my ccw isn't a full size .40. In the interim, I'm pretty sure my company has a lenient nunchuck policy...

The Refactor Tactical Survival band is probably the paracord bracelet you are looking for. Parachute cord, fishing line, handcuff key, whistle, and more is built into the bracelet.

www.refactortactical.com

I carry a Zippo, the problem with leaving them stashed in a kit though is eventually the fuel dries out after a few days and its useless till you get a can of butane. Have a Bic as a backup.

Last edited:
More important than a GHB is a B-bag. You keep your B's in it, which enables you to keep your CCW on hand. Which enables you to get back to your GHB, and in turn get home.

Today would be a great time for you guys who have Bic lighters to try them out. They don't work when it's cold. Zippo all the way.

Put it in your pocket for 2 minutes and it works just fine. Zippos are not as good for long term storage.

You should keep a gun with you.

Last edited:
I always keep a minimal "sh!t just got real" FAK with me in a cargo pocket. I put it together and vacuum sealed it to keep it compact:

2 - 3x3 gauze pads
1 - 4x6 trauma pad
1 - TK4 tourniquet
1 - pair gloves
2 feet of medical tape wrapped around an old Dunkin's gift card

I replace all but the tourniquet every 3-4 months--as long as it's still stretchy, of course.
image.jpg

I always keep a minimal "sh!t just got real" FAK with me in a cargo pocket. I put it together and vacuum sealed it to keep it compact:

2 - 3x3 gauze pads
1 - 4x6 trauma pad
1 - TK4 tourniquet
1 - pair gloves

I replace all but the tourniquet every 3-4 months--as long as it's still stretchy, of course.
View attachment 90065

all my FAK are lacking. That's one thing I need to work on in 2014.

More important than a GHB is a B-bag. You keep your B's in it, which enables you to keep your CCW on hand. Which enables you to get back to your GHB, and in turn get home.

what's a "B"?

2 - 3x3 gauze pads
1 - 4x6 trauma pad
1 - TK4 tourniquet
1 - pair gloves

View attachment 90065

Dude, if we were still working together that department space would be open carry by now… ;-)

what's a "B"?
8a2y5eva.jpg

only really need to keep the bare essentially on you at all times. All I carry is a knife, small flashlight, my gun (also a full sized fotay) and an extra mag.

everything else stays in the car. maineprepper on youtube does a great job at elaorating on this subject (and many others)

I just don't understand the obsession with carrying around paracord and lighters. It's such zombie apocalypse fantasy nonsense.

You want a practical EDC? How about cash, a credit card, a fully charged cell phone, emergency contact and medical info, a pocket tool and some form of self defense (CCW, folding knife and/or OC). That and access to a decent first aid kit and a flashlight will resolve your troubles 99.9% of the time.

I just don't understand the obsession with carrying around paracord and lighters. It's such zombie apocalypse fantasy nonsense.

You want a practical EDC? How about cash, a credit card, a fully charged cell phone, emergency contact and medical info, a pocket tool and some form of self defense (CCW, folding knife and/or OC). That and access to a decent first aid kit and a flashlight will resolve your troubles 99.9% of the time.

Lighters and paracord are zombie fantasy preps? Out of all my EDC stuff, the lighter has saved my ass a few times when it was cold out and I was in the woods. The lighter is probably more important than a gun in most cases.

Everyone has a different approach but for me EDC should provide you with basics;
Protection, Shelter, Fire ,Water , Food , First aid, Communication, all in your pockets.
This is the first tier, survival on your person.
Btw if you can't carry a firearm get good with your knife

Back
Top Bottom