• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

New EDC tourniquet (ETQ)...

The locking carabiner seems like a good idea. I'm not really sure anyone's going to realistically find your TQ, read the instructions or scan the QR code and figure out how to use it on you before you bleed out, but I guess having it on there doesn't hurt. If its an aluminum windlass, Its probably a decent piece of kit.

That looks excellent.

I have several of the Gen4 Recon Med tourniquets w/ kevlar and alum windlass sets. They seem well made and useful.
I've never needed to use one, but I've done my due diligence in learning how/when/why to deploy it.

Thanks for the post.
~Enbloc

The locking carabiner seems like a good idea. I'm not really sure anyone's going to realistically find your TQ, read the instructions or scan the QR code and figure out how to use it on you before you bleed out, but I guess having it on there doesn't hurt. If its an aluminum windlass, Its probably a decent piece of kit.
From their spec sheet:
Construction: High-strength glass reinforced nylon - Milspec 4088 Type 2 webbing - Stainless steel carabiner gate.

From their spec sheet:
Construction: High-strength glass reinforced nylon - Milspec 4088 Type 2 webbing - Stainless steel carabiner gate.
I think that just applies to the webbing and carabiner though, not the windlass. I prefer a metal one. I’m sure there are polymers that are strong. But I saw non-metal one snap in class and that’s made me weary. Those had probably been used hundreds of times and were probably Chinese crap, but it’s still made me want a metal one.

MINN-KOTA says:
October 26, 2022 at 20:08
I’ll let the experts chime in, but aren’t the SOF-T and CAT wide for a reason? To prevent tissue damage?
  • 443dec95cd04772594bce4d5ddfb68c1
    Arrius says:
    October 26, 2022 at 21:10
    One of the owners here. Really good question man. So the CAT actually uses a 1″ constricting band inside a larger sleeve. Nothing wrong with that, its a great TQ that’s saved a lot of lives. We’ve got a lot of respect for NAR. TQ’s like the SOF-T Wide can do less tissue damage due to the extra width. ETQ also has a 1.5″ WIDE version designed to meet all DOD Tourniquet Working Group requirements. Main thing we advocate is just carry a TQ everyday, no matter what brand…and only buy American.
    • 0809d952e476d9c5103f60428f215813
      Jason says:
      October 26, 2022 at 21:41
      It does say they make a 1.5” wide version that is in accordance with dod and tccc standards but is only 50% smaller.

Wider 1.5" version:

The video is very convincing to me.
As I sit here typing, I have a SWAT-T in an AIFAK and a CAT in a cargo pocket, but the reduced size of this ETQ is very appealing to me.
Hopefully others will chime in with their opinions.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XGGPmAIvZec

Thanks. I'm going to order one to try out, looks good.

Edit. Well, both models sold out. As soon as they are available I'll grab two.

Last edited:
I'd be interested in the larger version if it gets vetted. Just have to remember not to keep the windlass stored behind the carabiner gate. That could be hard to free up/manipulate in the type of situation where you need to put it on one handed.

Basically a more compact version of the CAT, no? As a piece of gear, I like it. For me I just want something simple and able to be applied one-handed, so I keep a couple RATS tourniquets. RATS are probably the most compact you can get and if you make the loop before stashing, one-handed application is easy.

Back in my Combat Medic days (1990s), we were taught to use a crevat and a stick, so to me anything is an improvement over that.
Kinda like the first rule in a gun fight is bring a gun, easier to carry TQ is a definite improvement.
I plan to grab a couple when they are back in stock.

Sorry dudes! We super underestimated demand - our marketing budget was around $1500, $1000 for all the samples we sent out to everyone, and then about $500 for the launch video. Kinda blew up. The ETQ sold out in 2 minutes, and the ETQ-Wide sold out in 40.

We are working towards restocking 1000 TQs every Friday at 12 PM MDT, until we can just keep them in stock at all times.

And to clear up any possible confusion above, our windlass is not metal, but glass reinforced Zytel. We have tried to break them many different ways, but only succeeded once we put them in the vice. The TQ base is a super tough flexible zytel, which we have never been able to break. And we torture the absolute shit out of our stuff, as lives depend on it.

Sorry dudes! We super underestimated demand - our marketing budget was around $1500, $1000 for all the samples we sent out to everyone, and then about $500 for the launch video. Kinda blew up. The ETQ sold out in 2 minutes, and the ETQ-Wide sold out in 40.

We are working towards restocking 1000 TQs every Friday at 12 PM MDT, until we can just keep them in stock at all times.

And to clear up any possible confusion above, our windlass is not metal, but glass reinforced Zytel. We have tried to break them many different ways, but only succeeded once we put them in the vice. The TQ base is a super tough flexible zytel, which we have never been able to break. And we torture the absolute shit out of our stuff, as lives depend on it.
Thanks for joining here and replying

I had an alarm set for last Friday and everything, by the time I got the site pulled up both were sold out.

Good for you guys!

Alarm set for the next one. I’ll be ready.

I had an alarm set for last Friday and everything, by the time I got the site pulled up both were sold out.

Good for you guys!

Alarm set for the next one. I’ll be ready.
I was checking out & got a message that said the desired amount in your cart is unavailable

I think I'll wait a while before trying to get one now with them selling out so quick

I guess they ramped up there production

Back
Top Bottom