EDC knife

I'm a big fan of Ontario folders (RAT 1 or 2) as well as ESEE folders such as the Zancudo. Both are short money for folders. I think I have 4 or 5 Zancudos. My wife has a pink Zancudo and a pink Ontario 1 that she loves. I call them her pig stickers.....

I believe we can have assisted opening but I'm no expert . I've had a few and truthfully after the novelty wore off I prefer just something I can thumb open . I have a benchmade crooked river that I really like

Living in Mass I personally won’t carry an assisted knife. Too many people that don’t understand Mass knife law. Any of mine that were like my ZT 0566, I’ve removed the torsion bar. IMHO assisted opening is just a gimmick. Any decent quality knife that’s taken care of should be easy to open via thumb flick, flipper, or wrist flick. A lot of the knives in th OP’s price range will even have a ball bearing system which is butter smooth to open. If not just keep the pivot clean and oiled and it should never be hard to open quickly one handed.

For the last 20 years I have carried a craftsman folding razor knife. Their are 2 types, one has a folding arm that retains the razor blade and the other type has a spring loaded arm that retains the razor blade on the knife.
I don't use the one with the spring anymore, many times the blade has flown out of the knife while I was using it.
The knife has a clip on it that I use as a bill fold.
If I'm careful, these knives will last me 2-3 years before I lose them.
Before Sears closed I bought a bunch of them for about $5. each.

I believe we can have assisted opening but I'm no expert . I've had a few and truthfully after the novelty wore off I prefer just something I can thumb open . I have a benchmade crooked river that I really like
One of the police officer/instructors at MFS shot me down when I said spring assists are legal to carry here. I honestly thought they were and I’m pretty sure they are, but... clearly some officers may not feel the same way and that could cost you some time and money, lame as that would be.
Take this with a grain of salt and modicum of common sense: Massachusetts Knife Laws - American Knife and Tool Institute
(Fixed blades are still legal to carry, legal lengths may vary...quicker than spring assists or switch blades)

There is no legal prohibition on carrying assisted opening knives.

Those who claim otherwise should cite the law.

There is no legal prohibition on carrying assisted opening knives.

Those who claim otherwise should cite the law.

Problem is some cops dont know the law or dont care. So they can take your knife if they feel like it and not a damn thing outside of spending time and money trying to get it back you can do about it. Gonna cost you to prove your innocence,yay America and "freedom".

I've been carrying a Kershaw Cryo 2 for ~5 years. Love it! Great to have a half-serrated blade too, very useful.

Are we all really replying to a 3 year old recommendation thread? :p Not complaining, just asking and seeing if people realize this. OP probably already bought himself a nice, high end EDC by now, I would hope lol. Me, I want a ZT 0350TSST. Zero Tolerance knives are niceee. Fap Fap Fap.

Are we all really replying to a 3 year old recommendation thread? :p Not complaining, just asking and seeing if people realize this. OP probably already bought himself a nice, high end EDC by now, I would hope lol. Me, I want a ZT 0350TSST. Zero Tolerance knives are niceee. Fap Fap Fap.

Haha, nope didn’t realize it at all. I’m also a fan of Zt’s.

8FD85CAD-BB51-4EEC-B1B7-2562104A5E5A.jpeg

If I'm careful, these knives will last me 2-3 years before I lose them.

[laugh2][laugh2][laugh2]

I am confused. Is an assisted opening knife one that has a spring release that releases the blade from the handle?

(b) Whoever, except as provided by law, carries on his person, or carries on his person or under his control in a vehicle, any stiletto, dagger or a device or case which enables a knife with a locking blade to be drawn at a locked position, any ballistic knife, or any knife with a detachable blade capable of being propelled by any mechanism, dirk knife, any knife having a double-edged blade, or a switch knife, or any knife having an automatic spring release device by which the blade is released from the handle, having a blade of over one and one-half .inches, . . . or whoever, when arrested upon a warrant for an alleged crime, or when arrested while committing a breach or disturbance of the public peace, is armed with or has on his person, or has on his person or under his control in a vehicle, a billy or other dangerous weapon other than those herein mentioned and those mentioned in paragraph (a), shall be punished by imprisonment for not less than two and one-half years …

M.G.L.A. 269 § 10(b)

Are we all really replying to a 3 year old recommendation thread? :p Not complaining, just asking and seeing if people realize this. OP probably already bought himself a nice, high end EDC by now, I would hope lol.
Apparently so. I didn't check the date of the first post and I usually try and make it a point to do so.

Cant beat bladeops.com for your purchase, I love my Gerber Propel Downrange, i have an auto which lives in the safe and a spring assist, Made in USA, G10 handles just need a little sanding to be smooth when brand new
gerber-propel-ao-11.gif

I also carry for work a kershaw Volt SS, good all purpose knife....

I carry a spring-assisted pocket knife here in the Commonwealth and when I get pulled over I whip it out the passenger-side window, making careful note of street location or mile marker.

I have not been pulled over since 2003... [smile]

Back
Top Bottom