• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

POLL - EDC Light Method

What do you think is the best method to EDC a light?

• Handgun Mounted Only

Votes: 3 3.1%
  • Handheld Only

Votes: 37 38.5%
  • Handgun + Handheld

Votes: 33 34.4%
  • No EDC Light

Votes: 22 22.9%
  • Other

Votes: 1 1.0%

• Total voters
As having more options is better than fewer, both is better than either.

I've been carrying a Streamlight Pro-Tac 2-LX for several years. I like it well enough, but broke the clip recently and can't decide if I replace the clip or accept the excuse to get a new light...

I haven't bought a wml for my pistol yet, mostly because I don't want to buy new holsters.

I have nearly the exact same organizer. It's great. Just got it off amazon. Also carry a swiss army knife and space pen, along with a free-floating bic lighter. Keys and OC spray in the other front pocket, wallet and SWAT-T tourniquet in the back pockets.
Where does the phone go?

Where does the phone go?

In the summer I wear Dickies work pants which have a pocket on the leg for the cell phone, or shorts with an extra pocket. If I wear jeans they go in with the tourniquet and I take the phone out when I sit down, or in a shirt pocket. In the winter it goes in my jacket or vest. I actually have an ankle wallet I used to use for the TQ that I haven't in years, this thread reminded me lol. I may start using that in the summer, it's a little annoying to juggle the cell phone.

ETA: Carrying a cell phone is critical, I actually had more than one instructor say so as well.

I carry both - streamlight pocket stream usb rechargeable and my Zero Tolerance (or knife of the day) in an organizer by Recycled Firefighter. I also duct taped a x300 to my slingshot.

View attachment 822992
I'm impressed you can carry that beast

I find mine way too heavy

If i want an extra large extra stabby knife i prefer my cold steels over that

My EDC light is a Zebralight SC62. It's the best light I've ever owned, survived a week in a snow drift with a broken lens, no problem. Probably pushing 10 years of EDC. I also have a Streamlight TLR-7a on my main carry pistol.

Every AR in the house has a nitecore P10 (some old some current gen). Surefire K2 with an 18650 primary is in the BITN bag with spare batteries, a G19, booboo kit, charged emergency radio, water, a space blanket and some cash.

Daily was a Quark 1 tactical for years, but the electronics have degraded and it only runs in LOW mode. Now it's just a spare light for camping to give to a person who forgot theirs.

That replaced a first gen Surefire single CR123 cell. That one still works, and has been in every ocean of the world at one time or another, including accidently taking a 200m dive on a glider as when I launched the darn thing, it snagged the light from the clip on my work vest.

The seals *did* hold. But the battery did not like it.

EDC is now whichever Nitecore light makes it's way into my right front cargo pocket. I know it's better to be LHS, but that's my phone and wallet in front. Knife and keys are on right side.

Most of the Nightcores I have are rechargable with good name brand cells.

The new P10i and P12 series are beastly.

Oh, I also only carry lights with a tail switch which does momentary.

Doesn’t mean it’s the best, it just works for me. But I’ve carried the same Fenix UC35 for work and personal use for the last five years and haven’t had an issue. I dropped it down an elevator shaft (only two floors), been run over by a firetruck, and left it in a puddle for about four hours yet it still works. Just another option.

I always carry a light at night. No mounted light, but I practice the Harries technique with dry and live fire regularly. Usually my last 15 rounds is a close range mag dump. One time I was walking the dog in Braintree around the Union St rotary at night and a gross shady guy tried creeping up on us in the shadows, illuminating him really made him stop dead in his tracks.

I get the benefit of a weapon mounted light, but other than at a theater, I don't see much use for it for a defensive shooting because by the time it's come to draw and fire, you've already identified the threat.

Carry the flashlight off the pistol for EDC. Keep a light on your nightstand gun and other home based firearms.

ETA: there is an advantage to holding the hand-held light off to the side when sweeping a room. The weapon light puts a massive, highly visible target right on your center of mass. Also, strobe function is way more effective than I thought it would be.
Interesting. My trainers said to skip the strobe. They said it often blinded the user as much as the target.

My EDC is a Streamlight Protac 1L that takes a CR123a battery. It's small and uses the same battery for many of my other lights and optics. I've had it for 5 years and haven't lost it which is a miracle. Back then it was only $39. Today it's $50 and I'd buy it again in a heartbeat. I use it everyday for my job.
A co-worker who was a knife/flashlight whore (as he called himself) got me interested in a similar one ^^^^ . The Pro-Tac 1L-1AA. I thought I lost it at one time and went to look for a replacement. I was searching for the one that used CR-123 AND "AAA" batteries. Couldn't find it - only the one that used CR123 and "AA" batteries. Come to find out, I'd been using mine with AAA, and it works with CR123, "AA" AND "AAA" batteries! That's why I like it so much. CR123 for super bright, or AA/AAA batteries for normal availablility.

A co-worker who was a knife/flashlight whore (as he called himself) got me interested in a similar one ^^^^ . The Pro-Tac 1L-1AA. I thought I lost it at one time and went to look for a replacement. I was searching for the one that used CR-123 AND "AAA" batteries. Couldn't find it - only the one that used CR123 and "AA" batteries. Come to find out, I'd been using mine with AAA, and it works with CR123, "AA" AND "AAA" batteries! That's why I like it so much. CR123 for super bright, or AA/AAA batteries for normal availablility.
Sick, I've got the dual fuel one as well. I'll have to try this next time I'm home. I never would have thought to try AAA in it!

I carry an Olight Baton 3. I don't bother with a mounted light on my carry gun since I figure if it's dark enough for me to need a light, it's dark enough for me to get away without needing the gun and if there is an exception, the Baton 3 is small enough that it's easy to hold in my support hand if I need it while shooting. I mostly use my EDC light to find things I dropped in the dark. (I do have a weapon mounted light on all three of the guns I might use for home defense, since in that case I'm not planning on running away.)

The only problem I have with the Baton 3 is that it has a magnetized base. Which is good if you want to stick it to something metal (like a car fender) while you work (on changing your tire). But it does stick to anything steel in your pocket like car keys. When I first started carrying one, I kept it in my pocket with my keys and sometimes I'd inadvertently pull it out with my car keys. A couple of months after getting my first one I lost it. Had no idea what happened to it, but assumed I had pulled it out with my keys and dropped it somewhere (now keep it separate from the keys). Liked it so much I went ahead and bought a replacement. This was in August. Fast forward to January. I'm driving the truck into the pasture to drop off some feed in the barn. Pull through the gate into the pasture and get out to close the gate behind me (never leave a pasture gate open unless you enjoy chasing your animals down the road). Closing the gate I looked down and notice a light in the wheel track under about an inch of ice and snow. Dig it out and discovered that it was the Baton I had lost last August. I guess driving over it turned it on. Still works to this day and I keep it as a backup.

This time of year I use a flashlight for something almost daily. I keep a small Olight on my key chain and another larger one clipped to my pocket next to my knife.

I also have a TRL7 on my pistol since anything dangerous is probably going to happen at night.

Interesting. My trainers said to skip the strobe. They said it often blinded the user as much as the target.

Even just pulsing the tailcap switch on a light without built-in strobe was pretty disorienting to the "hunted" and IIRC was not bad at all for the "hunter." We played both in AMIS, and it was like close encounters of the third kind when you got swept with a strobing white light.

Even just pulsing the tailcap switch on a light without built-in strobe was pretty disorienting to the "hunted" and IIRC was not bad at all for the "hunter." We played both in AMIS, and it was like close encounters of the third kind when you got swept with a strobing white light.
Then again, too, it's been a minute. Maybe they were discussing indoor use, where you could have reflections back at you from the inside walls.

I carry an Olight Baton 3. I don't bother with a mounted light on my carry gun since I figure if it's dark enough for me to need a light, it's dark enough for me to get away without needing the gun and if there is an exception, the Baton 3 is small enough that it's easy to hold in my support hand if I need it while shooting. I mostly use my EDC light to find things I dropped in the dark. (I do have a weapon mounted light on all three of the guns I might use for home defense, since in that case I'm not planning on running away.)

The only problem I have with the Baton 3 is that it has a magnetized base. Which is good if you want to stick it to something metal (like a car fender) while you work (on changing your tire). But it does stick to anything steel in your pocket like car keys. When I first started carrying one, I kept it in my pocket with my keys and sometimes I'd inadvertently pull it out with my car keys. A couple of months after getting my first one I lost it. Had no idea what happened to it, but assumed I had pulled it out with my keys and dropped it somewhere (now keep it separate from the keys). Liked it so much I went ahead and bought a replacement. This was in August. Fast forward to January. I'm driving the truck into the pasture to drop off some feed in the barn. Pull through the gate into the pasture and get out to close the gate behind me (never leave a pasture gate open unless you enjoy chasing your animals down the road). Closing the gate I looked down and notice a light in the wheel track under about an inch of ice and snow. Dig it out and discovered that it was the Baton I had lost last August. I guess driving over it turned it on. Still works to this day and I keep it as a backup.
How chubby is it? I kinda always wanted one but they look fat

My winter ccw and year-round home/nightstand gun:

S&W TRR8 .357 w/ a Streamlight TLR-7A and a Kershaw pocket folder. I like the compactness of the Streamlight for my G19 and HK45C as well, but don't have holsters that accommodate lights for those yet. I'm still planning on putting a Trijicon RMR on as well, probably early next year.

IMG_0231.jpg

Well, not all of us wear nut hugger skinny jeans. We can fit more than a vape pen in our pockets.

I mean, you can still be tacti-cool and stylish by wearing skinny fit cargos. Imagine, cargo pockets and a slim fit to show off the physique.

[rofl]

Depending on how much light power you need, I grab one of these. Anduril 2 stepless dimming and 4500K output color is a game changer. TLR-7A on carry gun.

signal-2023-12-04-163600_002.jpeg signal-2023-12-04-163602_002.jpeg

I’ve been putting surefire on everything.
Just picked up an X300 now I need new holsters.

Surprisingly upset with how much slop pistol pic rails vary in tolerances
Fits well on my G19 Gen4 and Beretta 92 Vertec but super loose on my 10mm TRP

My edc light is the Streamlight wedge. It’s been reliable and fits nicely in the pocket.

I’ve been putting surefire on everything.
Just picked up an X300 now I need new holsters.

Surprisingly upset with how much slop pistol pic rails vary in tolerances
Fits well on my G19 Gen4 and Beretta 92 Vertec but super loose on my 10mm TRP

Strange. My Streamlight TLR-7 came with different rail adapters to ensure a solid fit with various pistols. I was able to just use the generic attachment with my TRR8 rail. Surefire doesn't have something similar? I don't have any Surefire handgun lights as I don't like how the are long and tend to extend beyond the muzzle of most handguns. I do have a Surefire with VFG switch for my rifles. That attaches securely on most standard rails.

Back
Top Bottom