Economy

Actually...... IF you were going on a hunting trip of a lifetime......

You know..... Caribou in Canada.... Jet ride to Calgary. 3 hour SUV ride to a small ranch. Then, float plane to a remote location. Horseback for another 6 hours to get to the final hunting area. You paid $20,000 for permits, guide service, meals, gratuities, etc....

You MIGHT get one shot at a trophy caribou......

Are you going to buy THAT ammo at Walmart? Or, are you going to make your own, and know exactly.... EXACTLY, at 1/4 mile away, where the bullet is going to hit????

My answer is that I am going to make that round myself!

"Are you going to buy THAT ammo at Walmart?"

If they sell Remington Core-Lokt 180gr 30-06 I sure would.

The last time I did these sorts of calculations, I figured that I saved the $1000 cost of my progressive press setup in the first year.

I rarely chime in here any more because by the time I get to the thread Jim or Duke has already said anything that I would have.

That said, I have recovered the cost of everything in my reloading room in savings over purchasing factory ammo. Presses, dies, scales, measures, components, etc. I have also enjoyed almost every second of the process. I reload everything from 9mm to 50 BMG.

Sorry we get there before you do.....

I reload everything for every gun I have. I've actually started reloading for a gun that I will be getting after the first of the year. Never too early....

I rarely chime in here any more because by the time I get to the thread Jim or Duke has already said anything that I would have.

That said, I have recovered the cost of everything in my reloading room in savings over purchasing factory ammo. Presses, dies, scales, measures, components, etc. I have also enjoyed almost every second of the process. I reload everything from 9mm to 50 BMG.

Every serious CMP shooter at my range shoots handloads. Every one.

I can see the difference between my handloads and US-made Fiocchi .223. Both rounds use Hornady 55 FMJBT's, so it's not even because of pricey match bullets. I used to think the Fiocchi was great stuff. Now I use if for offhand practice.

55_grain

The power of SWAGING.

Talk about getting the cost of rifle ammo down. A recent phone discussion with the maker of some swaging equipment (die sets) indicates that most of the heavy duty really long distance match winners (benchrest shooters) were armed with match grade bullets that they swaged themselves.

The swagers over at castboolits.gunloads.com have some tooling and equipment that allow you and I to make cheap swaged brass jacketed bullets. As some of already know (but mentioning it for others who don't), you use .22 LR brass to swage into jackets for 55 grain HPBT bullets for .223/5.56 ammo. Now, that gets the cost down!

The quality of those bulk pack Hornady FMJBTs approaches that of match bullets.

Back when I was married, time at the reloading bench was zen. Sunday afternoon, football game on the radio, snow falling outside, the kids have friends over for some school thing the wife was mentoring, and I'd be loading whatever I could in my own private world. Can't beat that.

I figure with my brass I'm reloading 5.56 at about 12¢ a piece using pulled bullets, surplus powder, and retail primers. I haven't accounted for the cost of electricity or supplies for tumbling. Loading for handguns is much easier than loading for rifle. Rifle brass requires a lot more preparations.

Well, I admit that reloading does save me money. But I believe I would still reload even if it cost 2, 3 or 4 times as much as factory. Not only is it enjoyable, and a bit of a stress reducer, but I take pride in developing a load that is not only fun to shoot, but also accurate. My best two examples of this are my 444 Marlin, and my Mosin m38. If I were to only fire factory/surplus ammo, the recoil would add up quickly, pain would ensue, very few rounds would be fired, and that's no fun. But with my cast bullet loads, I can shot all day, pain free, and hit exactly where I'm aiming. Enjoying my time at the range is priceless.

This thread got me thinking, since I am just getting started, what if I added up what my first 1000 rounds of .45 Colt will have cost me including equipment. I plan to cast my own eventually but, since I don't yet, I'll need to buy some cast bullets.

Honestly, I thought I'd save some but, I was shocked at how the numbers stacked up.

ABC's of Reloading and assorted load books purchased used, $25.00
Lee Classic Turret Press $218.06*
Ohaus M5 Scale $40.00
1lb Winchester W231 $20.00
1000 Winchester Large Pistol Primers $30.00
1000 Starline .45 Colt Brass $153.65
1000 45 Cal 255g RNFP .452 Dia Cast Bullets $78.00

* Includes: Deluxe 4-Die Set, Pro Auto Disk Powder Measure, Safety Prime (large & small), Auto Disk Riser, Six MTM 50 round Plastic Ammo Boxes, and shipping.

So the total is $564.71, I think I've got everything I need. Divide that by 1000, it's $0.57 a round.

The closest apples to apples factory ammo comparison I could find.

Winchester Super-X Ammunition 45 Colt (Long Colt) 255 Grain Lead Round Nose $19.29 per box of 20 (that with a $0.50 a box dlr discount).

50 boxes would run $964.50 and shipping (for arguments sake only, it'll never happen.) $37.29, Totals $1001.79. That works out to $1.00 a round.

So in my case, even buying the equipment, the brass, and the bullets. I still save $437.08, so it's paid for itself and them some in the first 1000 rounds and I've got the equipment and brass to do it all over again.

So I go out and buy:
Thumler's Tumbler Model B Rotary Tumbler & 5lbs of Stainless Steel Media $263.98
1000 45 Cal 255g RNFP 452 Dia Cast Bullets $78.00
-Total $391.98

Savings on the second 1000 rounds $609.81 instead of placing another $1000.00 order for factory ammo.

Total savings in the first 2000 rounds is $1046.89 and I've got my press, dies, tumbler, media and etc.

All of a sudden I am down to $0.40 a round and I haven't even started casting yet. Now I can do it all over again after I cast some bullets but, I won't keep doing the math, it's pretty clear I think. [wink]

I'd say it's worth it alright, it also makes your point about buying everything you need to make ammo and still saving over buying more new ammo.

I am really glad I did this even though I knew it would save me money over time, I always hesitated a bit when clicking the "Buy" button or reaching for the wallet. Now that I see I'll be ahead right out of the gate.

From now I am going to just smile like this -> [smile]

Last edited:
Even .40 a round sounds HIGH.

Primer costs like 3 cents.

Powder costs like 3 cents.

How much are you paying per bullet????

Most of us are NOT paying 34 cents per bullet....

Much less than that. If you get into casting, sure there's some real cost (propane, etc), but I think of cast bullets as virtually free.

So, with my own cast bullets, the most one of my rounds costs is 6 cents. That's .06, which is $60 a thousand. Where you gonna beat that?

Just zero out the equipment, since it's going to be a hobby that lasts you a lifetime.

Duke,
Right now the bullets are $0.08 each sized, lubed, and at my door. I am getting into casting but, like everything else I pickup what I need when and where I find a good deal or its easily available. My accumulation of stuff hasn't progressed in a straight line, i.e. I haven't bought the press yet but I have powder, primers, reloading manuals, and bullets. I also have lots of lead and a second hand Lyman 61 BP furnace so I am a little out of order but it works for me.

I guess I could zero out the equipment and really get the cost down but, when I got to thinking about the OP even with the cost of equipment I'd save a ton.

I figured by the time I was casting I'd be be ~$0.10 a round or less and it's all gravy from there but, my post was long enough already [shocked]

Last edited:
Heck I have not even loaded up a lot off ammo yet ?
.32 S&W reload cost 6.50/50 last purchased with taxes(forget the drive,lunch and associated impulse buys when @ your favorite gun shop) 31.40/50 loaded 100 rounds saved
almost 50 bucks----Dies found used for 20.00 dies paid for and enough left over to reload 200 rounds or so ?

5.56 with recent bulk order down to .18 each with hornady FMJBT 55gr bullets. Best Price I paid for any 5.56 in the last few years 300.00/1000 on average .40 round not a huge saveing but still better than full price PLUS I ainr driveing from shop to shop trying to find ammo. Which was a main reason I started reloading other than cost

30-06 for the garand my first 100 rounds cost me close to what CMP HXP cost .50ish ea. Since then I have purchased bulk and cut it down to .34ea--6.80 per box of 20.
CMP HXP 192round cans with bandoleer and clips delivered .62ea ., eagle brand M1 safe ammo 24.50/20 with out tax if you can ever find it.
reloads compared to CMP ammo saved 5.60 per 20 rounds Eagle M1 ammo saved 18.90

I have loaded and shot 200 rounds of 30-06 so far @ .35 ea. or 10 boxes of 20
HXP vs reloads saved 112.00 paid for both die sets alread 30-06 & 5.56
Eagle vs reloads saved 189.00

I am not convinced about the savings from casting.

The last few buckets of WW I bought were $30 each. They weighed 120-140 lbs each. After pulling out the trash, stick ons zincs etc I probably about 90 lbs of usable lead. So .33 a lb for the lead. So from that 1000 230 gr .45 ACPs would be about $11 in lead. It cost me 80.50 to have the same 1000 delivered to my door. So I save about $70/1000 bullets.

But to get to those bullets I need to get the WW. Supply is iffy and as the number of states banning lead WW goes up supplies will get harder to find and more expensive. I figure it takes me 2 and 1/2 to 3 hours to sort and smelt a bucket of WWs into nice shiny ingots. Another 2 hours to cast 1000 bullets and another 2 hours to size those thousand bullets. So it takes 5 hours to get those $70 savings. Not sure if the savings is worth the time. That doesnt include the cost of lube and propane/electricity which are probably only a couple of bucks.

I used to do a lot of casting. Now with 2 little kids I measure my free time in an hour here and an hour there. It is easier for me to buy my bullets and not bother with the hassle of casting. I still do some casting but it is mostly for unusual stuff or an odd run of something. I am still buying and scrounging WWs, lead and other alloys when I can but they are getting hoarded until I again have more time or the price of cast boolits gets too high.

Did you already buy a Thumler's tumbler with the media? If not, go to Midwayusa.com and look at their vibratory tumbler kit. You can get the tumbler, media, and separator for around $90.

This thread got me thinking, since I am just getting started, what if I added up what my first 1000 rounds of .45 Colt will have cost me including equipment. I plan to cast my own eventually but, since I don't yet, I'll need to buy some cast bullets.

Honestly, I thought I'd save some but, I was shocked at how the numbers stacked up.

ABC's of Reloading and assorted load books purchased used, $25.00
Lee Classic Turret Press $218.06*
Ohaus M5 Scale $40.00
1000 Starline .45 Colt Brass $153.65
1000 45 Cal 255g RNFP .452 Dia Cast Bullets $78.00

* Includes: Deluxe 4-Die Set, Pro Auto Disk Powder Measure, Safety Prime (large & small), Auto Disk Riser, Six MTM 50 round Plastic Ammo Boxes, and shipping.

So the total is $564.71, I think I've got everything I need. Divide that by 1000, it's $0.57 a round.

The closest apples to apples factory ammo comparison I could find.

Winchester Super-X Ammunition 45 Colt (Long Colt) 255 Grain Lead Round Nose $19.29 per box of 20 (that with a $0.50 a box dlr discount).

50 boxes would run $964.50 and shipping (for arguments sake only, it'll never happen.) $37.29, Totals $1001.79. That works out to $1.00 a round.

So in my case, even buying the equipment, the brass, and the bullets. I still save $437.08, so it's paid for itself and them some in the first 1000 rounds and I've got the equipment and brass to do it all over again.

So I go out and buy:
Thumler's Tumbler Model B Rotary Tumbler & 5lbs of Stainless Steel Media $263.98
1000 45 Cal 255g RNFP 452 Dia Cast Bullets $78.00
-Total $391.98

Savings on the second 1000 rounds $609.81 instead of placing another $1000.00 order for factory ammo.

Total savings in the first 2000 rounds is $1046.89 and I've got my press, dies, tumbler, media and etc.

All of a sudden I am down to $0.40 a round and I haven't even started casting yet. Now I can do it all over again after I cast some bullets but, I won't keep doing the math, it's pretty clear I think. [wink]

I'd say it's worth it alright, it also makes your point about buying everything you need to make ammo and still saving over buying more new ammo.

I am really glad I did this even though I knew it would save me money over time, I always hesitated a bit when clicking the "Buy" button or reaching for the wallet. Now that I see I'll be ahead right out of the gate.

From now I am going to just smile like this -> [smile]

Did you already buy a Thumler's tumbler with the media? If not, go to Midwayusa.com and look at their vibratory tumbler kit. You can get the tumbler, media, and separator for around $90.

No not yet, I figure I've got to get some brass loaded and used first. Thanks for the tip on the vibratory kit.

Casting for economy can be iffy, when you factor all the time in it. Certain high quality bullets (eg, the example EC used above with .500 S+W) the savings are gigantic.

On the other hand, casting 9mm bullets might be considered a waste of time, all things considered. It all depends on how much time you have to do stuff, and how much your supply lead costs. If you are paying good cash for wheel weights, the incentives for casting decrease somewhat.

One way to reduce the annoyance factor with casting is to smelt a crap ton of lead at once. Smelting and making ingots sucks. One guy I know only does it once a year specifically because of this... but he makes enough ingots to last him at least 1-2 years worth of casting. (and a large chunk of that is casting for friends!) Modularizing the process at least makes it seem like you are spending a lot less time doing it. [grin]

Casting really pays off if the source lead is free or nearly free. It used to be a lot easier to come by. It used to be you could bring a 30 pack of bud over to a tire shop and fill up a truck with so much wheel weights that your truck would be sagging. I think those days are pretty much gone, because the lead is actually worth something now, and the obamamania etc, has caused more people to cast, putting a strain on the supply.

-Mike

If you find your self like me, basically house locked for several hours a day a few days a week( young kids/wife works nights) that time is free to me.

If you can work a few hours over time to make up the cost thats what I wouls do.

I think its fun to make your own, savings is secoundary for me.

I reload mainly handgun. I save quite a bit. I can also make the loads to my liking with various bullet weights and configurations.
I just got all my supplies for .223, The powder seems to drive the cost of the round way up
I picked up a case of American eagle 500 for $150,= .30c per round.
With the powder. 09c. primer .03c. and the bullet .08c. =.20c. per round.
Seems like rifle ammo has less of a savings than pistol, but .10c a round at 1000 rounds =$100 in my pocket.

But I also got thr Hornady heads, so I think they will be a better round.

Last edited:
For me there is another whole element. My passion is black powder cartridge rifle shooting. I reload and cast my own bullets. New loaded ammo for 40/70, 45/120, 50/90 and 43 Beaumont runs anywhere from $60.00 to $100.00 for 20. I have no idea what my initial investment is, but I certainly know that my reloads cost a fraction of new loaded ammo. Black powder cases pretty much last forever given the lower pressures involved. I still manage to get wheel weights free and range lead to mix in. I also reload .22-250, 45-70 and several handgun calibers. Most of the equipment crosses over. Reloading and bullet casting has opened up a whole world for me. Without them an afternoon banging with my 50/90's or 45/120's could easily run $300 - $500.

I like to shoot, but I'm finding that I don't exactly shoot a lot at the range--a box of 50 and I'm done. Maybe two if I break out two guns. Paper targets are only fun for so long, I guess (plus it's below freezing right now). I'm finding that I enjoy reloading, not sure why, but I think it's part savings, part doing something that I can measure my efforts by. That satisfaction of doing something yourself, you know.

I don't shoot a lot, maybe I will someday; but I went the cheapo route and did the Lee Hand Press. I figured everything outside the press would likely to get used if/when I go to a progressive (or a turrent); and for less than 30 bucks I'd have a press now. I think I've got about $100 into hardware to do 38's (hand press, used dies, used scale, a powder trickler that I don't actually use, a loading block). In some ways, this more manual method keeps me from shooting too much--I don't want to finish shooting off a box, if I know I have several ahead of it that already need reloading!

I haven't gotten into casting yet, not sure if I will. That might be too much work. What might be fun is go to the range and help others cast. Community effort and all, and leave any lead containment issues at the range. Still, I think the cost of buying 500 boxes of cast bullets isn't that expensive, and my time isn't that cheap. If I'm not "saving" $10/hour or so, I'm not sure it's worth it (for me) to pursue it.

Great. Now I want to pick out a new caliber and start reloading for it. Too bad I only own one caliber!

supton, im about where you are in reloading. I figure I at least have the equipment for future

Before I even get a new gun, I get the tools to run ammo for it, including sizing dies, cast bullet molds, etc..... I start collecting the brass, and reading up on tips for the reloading of a new-to-me-caliber. By the time the gun arrives, I usually have enough ammo built that I can take the gun immediately to the range, and do some breaking in.

I'm waiting on a S&W 629 in .44 Mag (6" barrel) to ship from the factory.

I'm all set with cast bullet loaded rounds, and jacketed hollow point rounds, in just about all flavors that any one would ever want to shoot in that gun. I hope it arrives soon.

I just love the idea of never going to buy factory ammo.

supton, im about where you are in reloading. I figure I at least have the equipment for future

After reading up (ABC's of Reloading, lots of stuff on the web), I decided to "just do it". I figured, I wouldn't learn until I tried, I wasn't loading for some fragile antique, I wasn't going to push the loads (at least no initially!), and I also figured that a good number of people have reloaded w/o actually knowing what they were doing--and still kept all their fingers. Fair amount of info on youtube too, which is a decent place to see various presses. [Never go by one video or thread.] And finally, I'm not sure that reloading is really that much more dangerous than actually shooting a firearm.

News at 11:00.....

Can you figure it out on your own? Perhaps.

Could it be better to have some GUIDED coaching and training, so that it all flows, and makes sense? Definitely.

Are there some tips that you might miss by going it alone? Absolutely.

Will you know where to save money without risking safety (by going it alone)? Maybe.

Will you have more confidence, save more money, and be a safer reloader if you get some formal training? That's not even a question.

Will you have more confidence, save more money, and be a safer reloader if you get some formal training? That's not even a question.
That depends how much the formal training costs.

There's no real secret to saving money. Buying components in bulk is by far the most important. The other thing is selecting components based on pricing. The biggest factor is bullet selection, jacketed, plated or coated, plain lead, or casting your own.

I was reloading .45 acp for the subguns and 1911 back when most of you guys were still pissing your pants. Have never bought a round of factory .45 ammo. Now I'm tired of doing it. Cuts into my drinking time. Jack.

I guess I did it all wrong. I bought several reloading books, read them, and bought a Dillon 550. ~15,000 rounds later, I have yet to blow up a gun.

Formal training isn't all that expensive.

And, you're right about being especially careful about selecting the component that is the most expensive of all.... The Bullet. Then again, reloading all STARTS with the bullet selection, for whatever you'll be doing with it.

That depends how much the formal training costs.

There's no real secret to saving money. Buying components in bulk is by far the most important. The other thing is selecting components based on pricing. The biggest factor is bullet selection, jacketed, plated or coated, plain lead, or casting your own.

M1911, No one suggests that you did it wrong. I'm a pretty smart guy. And, I can figure stuff out fairly straightforwardly. If I could have taken a full day class back when I was first learning how to reload, and packed all of that knowledge into my first week of reloading......... I'd be miles ahead of where I was at the end of my first year of reloading. Like you, I figured most of it out on my own, and made TONS of mistakes along the way. I have met lots of great reloaders, and they have shared what they know. Like one-eyed jack, I have been reloading for decades. I don't really drink much at all like he does, so reloading doesn't cut into any of my time. (It's a joke, jack!) But, looking back on all my years of reloading, I sure wish there had been an opportunity for a class back then when I started. Just saying.

I guess I did it all wrong. I bought several reloading books, read them, and bought a Dillon 550. ~15,000 rounds later, I have yet to blow up a gun.

Back
Top Bottom