• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Ebola related supplies?

4 mil plastic sheeting & duct tape to seal doors and windows and at least 3 weeks worth of food and water. The CDC plan is if a pandemic with high mortality rate hits, they will quarantine healthy people as well to stop the spread.

I think my man Survival Chicken said it best.

This Youtube channel has a lot of potential, IMO. :)

In addition to what you already mentioned:
hazmat suits
duct tape
lysol
trash bags
lots of plastic sheets
gasoline
a fire pit
fluids with electrolytes (coconut milk, Gatorade, etc)
two way radios

...and one thing he didn't mention: several handguns, rifles and lots of ammo.

Last edited by a moderator:
anything in particular for Ebola or just the usual bug in / out stuff?

gloves
masks
bleach

and???

None of us has or could likely even get the gear necessary to prevent infection should we need to care for a loved one so I'd say what you need to prep for is self quarantine for an unknown period of time. If this goes full retard around the globe then it's a mad max scenario and you damned well better be at your bug out location.

I'll post this again if you're looking for a basic last minute prep list. It presumes you haven't done jack or even started to think about what you need.

This list is for individuals who have failed to stockpile goods and supplies for the event of a flu pandemic. It assumes that there has been some official or obvious sign given that a state of pandemic has been reached and that the best hope for protection will be self-quarantine. It has been said that a virus at this stage will be able to pass to any point on the globe within 18 hours. YOU NEED TO STOCK UP NOW.

If you are buying last-minute food, water and supplies when a human-to-human pandemic has been announced as spreading, please sit down for 5 minutes and make a plan of action. It is not a good idea to grab everything you can - BE STRATEGIC. You will not be able to get everything you need for a 3-month quarantine in one shopping trip! This list is based upon what you should attempt to accomplish in the ultimately unfortunate of "last-minute" trips - when everyone else will be "panic shopping" beside you. Focus your energy on grabbing foods that provide the most nutrition.

TIPS/SUGGESTIONS:
Pull the children out of school immediately and start the family plan into action.

Cell phones may come in handy - communication would be handy as you pick everything up around the stores and around town.
If you own multiple cars, have a family member drive each car (single-file, caravan style) to the same store. Each of you take a cart and a portion of this list. Meet back at the checkout and load all of the cars.
If the store has run out of an item you need, MOVE ON. IT WILL NOT BE THE END OF THE WORLD. Do not waste time in this situation. Go to another store until you get it.

You will need cash! Some stores may no longer accept credit or debit in this situation. In others, the lines may be down. Don't risk your survival because you do not have adequate cash on hand. And be prepared to spend considerably more than you would at any other grocery store run.

IN LOOSE ORDER OF IMPORTANCE:
• From home: call to renew your prescriptions for pick-up. Call doctor to arrange for more.
• Extract cash from your bank account (save some for online bill payments; you may also need to make arrangements re: investments, but this may need to be done later at this point. Right now you need to get supplies.) or the full amount your daily limit will allow.
• From the local drugstore/health Centre/pharmacy:
• N95 masks (NIOSH-rated Medical Particulate Masks) and Disposable gloves (latex, vinyl or the best yet is Nitrile): (you will need these in the event you leave the house again to pick up a forgotten or needed item)
• Band-Aids
• your prescription refills
• vitamins: C and multivitamins
• Tylenol/acetaminophen, aspirin/ ibuprofen (many uses); 3 bottles each
• any other over-the-counter meds you know you need (customize here)
• 8 packages of 12-rolls toilet paper
• 5 boxes Kleenex
• batteries: know the kind you will need. AA's - buy at least 10 packages.
• candles and/or tea lights - buy whatever is left; at least 50
• matches and lighters: buy 2 boxes matches; 10 lighters
• tampons if needed: year's worth if you can: 20 boxes of 40's; OR, 1 "keeper"
• soap
• shampoo and conditioner
• toothpaste

From the local grocery store:
• as many bags rice you can afford (remember, you need to be able to buy some of everything on this list)
• 20 cans beans (90 would be needed for 3 mos)
• 20 cans tuna/chicken/fish
• 10 cans vegetables
• 30-60 jugs water (and you are going to need to come back for more!)
• 20 bags pasta
• 10 jars pasta sauce
• 2 big bags potatoes (high in energy; keep long time)
• 20 cans tomato paste (make your own pasta sauce)
• energy bars; protein drinks;
• bag/boxes of mixed nuts
• bags of dried oatmeal
• bags dried beans
• 5 large bottles vegetable oil (sunflower, safflower and olive are healthiest)
• box sugar (biggest you can find)
• box salt (biggest you can find)
• bottles Gatorade (orally rehydrates) or vitaminized water
• pet food and/or baby supplies if needed
• extra manual can-opener (yours might break!)
• extra scissors (might lose yours!)
• 5 jars peanut butter
• 3 loaves bread
• 10 bars/tubs butter
• 10 bricks cheese
• frozen meat
• soups that don't need added water
• garbage bags

Go to local hardware/supplies store and buy:
• propane cooking stove
• propane
• flashlights (3)
• firestarters
• water purification tablets
• battery-operated radio

On way home: stock up on tank of gas, extra gas. Fill any portable gas containers you may have or can buy at the gas station.

LESS ESSENTIAL ITEMS to pick up if you have TIME, MONEY and they are AVAILABLE:
• chocolate
• coffee, teas
• 3 jars jam
• boxes macaroni and cheese
• bag onions
• boxes powdered milk
• box crackers, bag cookies
• peppers/lettuce/tomatoes
• other fresh fruit and veggies
• other vitamins if you know you need them: Omega-3, antioxidants, meds for diarrhea
• key spices you use: garlic, mixed spice shakers, bouillon, cinnamon, turmeric, curry, ginger
• q-tips, rubbing alcohol, a ready-made first-aid kit
• shaving cream and razors
• Paper plates, plastic forks, knives, spoons
• paper towels
• laundry soap

REALLY LESS ESSENTIAL (for urban survival) ITEMS TO WAIT FOR ANOTHER TRIP TO PICK UP and then ONLY IF YOU REALLY NEED THEM:
• candy, alcohol, tobacco (could be used for trade; but you should quit smoking at this point)
• tools; rope; tape;
• cleaning supplies (bleach; disinfectant hand sanitizer with more than 60% alcohol; liquid dish detergent; big jug white vinegar)
• Condiments - mayo, ketchup, BBQ Sauce, Salsa, creamers (presumably you will already have some of these anyway)
• Lotion and all other more luxurious personal care items
• entertainment items like books (you will already have some of these anyway)

FOR ALL OTHER ESSENTIAL SURVIVAL ITEMS YOU WILL NEED A SECOND TRIP (at your own risk)

4 mil plastic sheeting & duct tape to seal doors and windows and at least 3 weeks worth of food and water. The CDC plan is if a pandemic with high mortality rate hits, they will quarantine healthy people as well to stop the spread.

wasn't the need for sealing doors and windows with plastic sheeting and duct tape debunked as feel good efforts? I don't see the need.

Booze, Coffee. Guns and Ammo are missing from the list.......

If you're prepared for "Club Z" you're prepared for "Club E" for the most part

If you cant keep Club E victims out of your house/off your property the rest doesn't matter

Rifle is to keep bad people off your property
Shotgun is to keep bad people out of your house
Handgun is to keep bad people off your body

Booze, Coffee. Guns and Ammo are missing from the list.......

If you're prepared for "Club Z" you're prepared for "Club E" for the most part

If you cant keep Club E victims out of your house/off your property the rest doesn't matter

Rifle is to keep bad people off your property
Shotgun is to keep bad people out of your house
Handgun is to keep bad people off your body
I just assumed that we all already had plenty of guns ammo booze and coffee. :cool:

The immune system can beat an ebola infection if the host survives the symptoms of the immune response. The immune response damages the liver and clotting factor. All the blood clots and disease impacts on the vascular system is what results in all the bleeding.

Treatments in previous outbreaks have included anti-nausea drugs, IV fluids, fever reducers, and blood thinners to keep the inflammation and blood clotting down long enough for the immune cells to catch up and knock the virus down.

Pesticide spray applicator from the home improvement store to spray things down with bleach.
Has anyone mentioned
rubber boots
tyvek coverall suits
Protective eyewear (the sell medical specific ones. Just get on amazon and look for N95 masks and suggestions for eyewear will pop up.
Just think about what people in other countries did out in public during bird flu. It would be like that x10. Mask, eyes, tyvek, boots, gloves, duct tape. And upon returning home spray down with bleach, properly de-gown and dispose. Wipe down all surfaces of doors and your car.

Better yet, Bug In. You should have everything you need for that already!

And I'd go ahead and mention that shooting someone who you suspect has Ebola is a pretty bad idea. The blood splatter is infectious, and the rule of law will still be in place either by local LEO or military martial law if it gets that bad. And the last place you want to be during an Ebola pandemic is in a jail cell with dozens of other sick people.

wasn't the need for sealing doors and windows with plastic sheeting and duct tape debunked as feel good efforts? I don't see the need.

Correct, there is no need for this. Just keep the Ebola people from entering your house or pressing their faces up against your windows and getting snot on it.

And whatever you do, please no one waste money on one of those positive pressure bubbles you can go hide in. These are sold by ahole con artists.

YMMV--I'm far from a pandemic expert, but my wife is a microbiologist so I follow her lead.

I guess if you're in an apartment building or want to quarantine household members it would be useful. Yet, in a single family home with 50+ ft of space around it I can't imagine it's going to make much difference. If the infectious disease could travel 50 ft through the air, get past the weather stripping on my doors and windows, and still be potent enough to infect a person, then welcome to TEOTWAWKI.

I guess if you're in an apartment building or want to quarantine household members it would be useful. Yet, in a single family home with 50+ ft of space around it I can't imagine it's going to make much difference. If the infectious disease could travel 50 ft through the air, get past the weather stripping on my doors and windows, and still be potent enough to infect a person, then welcome to TEOTWAWKI.

Another supply.... Don't live in an apartment complex. The proximity is too close regardless of what pandemic may be in progress.

Pesticide spray applicator from the home improvement store to spray things down with bleach.
Has anyone mentioned
rubber boots
tyvek coverall suits
Protective eyewear (the sell medical specific ones. Just get on amazon and look for N95 masks and suggestions for eyewear will pop up.
Just think about what people in other countries did out in public during bird flu. It would be like that x10. Mask, eyes, tyvek, boots, gloves, duct tape. And upon returning home spray down with bleach, properly de-gown and dispose. Wipe down all surfaces of doors and your car.

Better yet, Bug In. You should have everything you need for that already!

And I'd go ahead and mention that shooting someone who you suspect has Ebola is a pretty bad idea. The blood splatter is infectious, and the rule of law will still be in place either by local LEO or military martial law if it gets that bad. And the last place you want to be during an Ebola pandemic is in a jail cell with dozens of other sick people.

Nothing really special about medical ones. Most hospitals provide crappy plastic ones sold by the hundreds. In the 17+ years I've spent in the OR, I either wore my own industrial safety glasses ($9 DeWalt at HD) or the fluid shield mask they provide.

As long as the have side shields, any safety glasses/shields will work.

Between ebola, the entrovirus, and the nearing flu season I got some Purel and new gloves (just ordinary gloves for my commute). Both come in handy when you're not near a sink to wash your hands.

I should mention that hand sanitzer is not personal protective equipment (PPE) but whenever I would gown up to go into a clean room we'd use alcohol based hand sanitzer foam or gel. Conversely whenever coming out of a hot zone, you wash or gel sanitize after removing gloves. And lastly, if you do get exposed to bodily fluids (or other icky) you flush with whatever liquid you have handy and then use the sanitzer, which there's NEVER enough in that situation.

also a fire starter, so don't smoke while using!

Last edited:
What about the things you need to do. Dentist visit, yearly doctors visit, even Christmas shopping are all things I dislike doing during flu season.

If Ebola or anything stronger ever gets out these are all the types of things I want to have taken care of early.

YMMV--I'm far from a pandemic expert, but my wife is a microbiologist so I follow her lead.

Any opinion on colloidal silver as a prophylactic? There's been a lot of noise on the interwebs about this alleged DoD study but I have yet to see anything in print. (I've been taking silver for years anyway, so figure it can't hurt if it hasn't already. In fact in olden days they'd simply throw a silver coin in a bucket of water and let it leech out over time.)

Colloidal Silver and the Ebola Hysteria

...and the news media “hysteria machine” (not to mention the end-of-the-world crowd on the internet grapevine) is running full force with scare stories about Ebola’s potential spread -- particularly since it’s been announced that several American victims of Ebola in West Africa are going to be evacuated to the U.S. for treatment.
But do we really have a lot to fear from Ebola here in the U.S.? I contend we have a lot less to fear from Ebola than we have to fear from the federal government using the Ebola issue to rob us of more of our freedoms and liberties under the guise of “protecting” us from a largely manufactured “national health crisis.”
That’s the bad news. The potentially good news is this: Way back in 2008 the federal government itself demonstrated the fact that antimicrobial silver is, under certain conditions which I’ll explain below, extremely effective against Ebola and other hemorrhagic fever viruses.
In fact, two years ago I was able to obtain from the U.S. Department of Defense formerly classified documents they probably now wish they’d never de-classified. These documents explain the positive results achieved by the DOD when testing antimicrobial silver against these deadly viruses.
So with all of that said, here’s my somewhat contrarian view regarding the current Ebola “crisis,” as well as what I’ve discovered so far about the potential for colloidal silver’s effectiveness against this deadly virus…

http://thesilveredge.com/colloidal-silver-and-the-ebola-hysteria.shtml

Any opinion on colloidal silver as a prophylactic? There's been a lot of noise on the interwebs about this alleged DoD study but I have yet to see anything in print. (I've been taking silver for years anyway, so figure it can't hurt if it hasn't already. In fact in olden days they'd simply throw a silver coin in a bucket of water and let it leech out over time.)

LOL, that facebook thread is hilarious.

Silver is an excellent anti-microbial but I dont think it is going to do much as an anti-viral

Sent from my Galaxy S4 using Tapatalk Pro - typos are from the GD auto correct unless they are funny substitutions those I'll take credit for.

I added gloves to my prep...BJs has good boxes of them...if not good against this, it's just a good thing to have.

NICE!! I never knew we were on FB, I just signed in to the group.

Sad for me I have most of the stuff on the list already, just from normal life stuff and a tiny bit of prepping.
Tyvec suits: for insulating the attic
Respirators: for painting the Jeep
Gloves: working on oily/greasy parts of Jeep

I think I'm slacking in medical, and in water purification.
Need to check out antibiotics.

Back
Top Bottom