Survival related law Q - LPG storage

MetalgodZ

NES Member
Survival-related because it gets damned cold up here...

During the first winter a friend owned his house, he was forced to move from two 120 gallon cylinders to two BBQ tanks in order to not freeze his pipes when propane delivery was stopped, and could not be re-started due to weather conditions.

He's not aware of any permit that was issued for the two 120 gallon cylinders when the previous owner, but being an unwilling subject of the Commonwealth of Massachusetts, he's wondering how many 20lb and 30lb tanks he can store (outdoors, or in an unattached shed).

Anyone know?

Mike, 527 CMR contains what you and your friend are looking for.

I think 6, 8, and 9 are what you're looking for.
Unless I'm misreading this, it appears that a permit is required to have more than two 20lb cylinders on his property:
From CMR 527: 6.08
(d) The permit for the keeping, storage, manufacture or sale of LP-Gas must be obtained from
the head of the fire department as provided by M.G.L. c. 148, §§ 10A and 23.
(e) No permit will be required for the storage and use of an amount less than 42 pounds (ten
gallons), provided that the provisions of 527 CMR 6.01 through 6.07 shall apply.

...at least without a permit from the fire dept.

I use two of these in a underground "Vaults" for lack of better name.
FYI the top of the tanks (1000 gallons each) are 24 inches below grade, the cover of the vaults are 1/2 thick sheet of aluminum painted to blend in to the natural ground cover. Note these are not meant to be buried with fill dirt directly next to them hence the reason the vaults were used.

NO I didn’t pull permits as I own the land (the county has no ownership interest) and I have a fire protection system that will protect this area in case of fire in the vicinity.

My reasoning for using such a large capacity tanks are price savings on volume purchase and buy in the summer go all year without needing a fill.

1000GallonPropaneTank.jpg

Back
Top Bottom