Bug Out Bag/emergency supplies for your car

I thought I saw this before but I can't seem to find the thread. So, please forgive me for the repost.

Do you folks have an emergency bag in your car with medical supplies, road side flairs, jumper cables, etc? Would you consider this your "Bug Out Bag"?

Having a family, I often wonder what types of things too keep in a car or in the house at the ready.

I'd consider what you listed as more of a "road emergency bag" than a bugout bag.

A bugout bag might contain many more things conducive to aiding you to get somewhere and sustain you for a while when there.

Proper footwear(boots, something you could walk fifty miles in without death to your feet if necessary), a change of seasonal clothing or two, to include under and outer garments, toiletries, food, water, a gun/s and magazines, ammo, money, meds, spare glasses(if you wear them), a knife, a flashlight, a compass if you must go off the beaten path, a wide area map, a portable am/fm radio(with extra set of batteries), personal first aid kit,fire starting methods(matches, lighter, flint and steel, magnesium/flint, a wool blanket or sleeping bag, a bivy tent, insect repellent, head net, gloves, socks,space blanket/s, a water filter and a water bottle of some type to fill from a source, a portable saw.

This is just a partial list......add or remove as you see fit for your potential needs.

Yes, it is my personal belief that one is either ignorantly unprepared or a willful idiot if you do not. *LOTS* can happen while you are on the road. Small things like not having basic tools or equipment can seriously screw you.
However, I don't consider it a Bug-Out bag setup. I consider it a "Get Back Home" setup. If I am bugging out I want to be much better stocked than what is practical to carry on a routine basis.
FGABF's list pretty well hits the nail on the head. It is not hard have all or most of that stuff in your car. Some things can be dual use.. such as paper towels instead of toilet paper to optimize storage usage. Basically packing as if you were going on a couple day hiking/camping trip should suffice.

Quick real-world story. In a large metro area down south in the middle of summer (100F+ outside) my g/f at the time was on a VERY busy long bridge. A horrific traffic accident occurred near the end of said bridge blocking the lanes and backing traffic up for MILES and HOURS. After a couple hours people were starting to run out of fuel from leaving their car running for the AC to keep them cool, thus compounding the problem. Most folks had no water in their car so heat exhaustion started setting in on people. Tempers started flaring. Luckily she had the spare water I put in her trunk to stay hydrated.. most people did not and what was once a bad issue became worse quickly.

Yes - med kit, change of pants/shirt/etc., blanket, i have a bunch of stuff :)
I am from the camp better to have then need.

I would recommend some n95 respirators. They're cheap and easy to find (cvs, amazon, etc.) yet I know too many people that don't have them on hand. You could easily keep some in your car as well as your home.

I would recommend some n95 respirators. They're cheap and easy to find (cvs, amazon, etc.) yet I know too many people that don't have them on hand. You could easily keep some in your car as well as your home.

Good point....having to perform first aid in tight quarters of a vehicle in an accident can expose you to airborne viruses. Had a case of an injured woman......who after all was said and doneand she's on the back board, she say's "Oh, by the way, "I've had an active case of TB in recent months".........Gee, Thanks alot lady for the late warning. Had it been timely, everyone had them in their coats and could have donned them before climbing into the vehicle.

Would you guys consider roadside flares? Are the extra clothes you guys mentioning including sets for you wife and kids? What about latex gloves?

Last edited:
Flares yes.
change of clothes for family would be smart.
I have several different set of gloves.

I still want to get an extra hand crank radio / flashlight for the car.

I have what I think is the ideal "GHB". It is basically a knock off of the S.O. TECH go bag, but it was only 40 bucks. I can't find the website I ordered it from, but once I get home I will post it. I was designed as a radio equipment bag. It is 20"x8"x8" and slung across your back. It is light, stores plenty and since it is so low profile and slung across the back does not effect balance like a regular back pack. It can be pulled around to the front so you do not need to take it off to access what is inside. I like it, but I am not a survival expert like a lot of folks who like to poke fun at people for wanting to think ahead and plan for a hike home.

I will dig the website up, it was well worth the 40 bucks I payed for it.

Back
Top Bottom