• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

E-FA10/Paper FA-10 Question

Ok -

Here's the scenario -

I transfer a gun from me to another person using paper FA-10s. I go home and enter the transaction on the E-FA10 system. Is this legal? I still have the paper FA-10s as proof the the transaction.

Thanks.

Is the paper form the official FA-10 or a PDF. If its the official form Why not just mail it in?

IANAL but as long as you notify of the transaction w/in 7 days you should be fine. Paper of electronic

Last edited:
Honestly, mostly laziness. Much easier to just punch it in on the computer than print out an envelope, stamp it, etc.

So, you have a REAL FA-10, and you're too lazy to mail it after you've filled out already?

Why not just use either or? I am almost sorry I clicked on this one. [rolleyes]

Ok -

Here's the scenario -

I transfer a gun from me to another person using paper FA-10s. I go home and enter the transaction on the E-FA10 system. Is this legal? I still have the paper FA-10s as proof the the transaction.

Thanks.
Once you finish the e-FA-10, you can print a copy for your records just like the one you get if you had bought one from a dealer. I bought a gun in June using the system and don't remember having to enter or sign anything, other than my LTC # which automatically filled in all the other fields like my name and DOB. Only the seller needed to enter his PIN.

I get people not wanting to use the e-FA-10 for a number of reasons, but if you have the ability to use it and have a printer available, it really is quite convienent.

Last edited:
yanici said:
I'm going to be transferring a gun by EFA-10. Do I need the buyer's PIN number?

Nope, just License no. and birth date. The system will pull the buyer info automatically.

Sent from my iPhone 5 using Forum Runner

I put my out going mail in the mail slot,and the mail man takes it when he drops of my mail.

LenS said:
He lives too far away from the USPO to drop it off! [wink] [rofl]

The visiting nurse sure can help OP to drop off the mail. If OP still too poor to put a stamp, I'll covered a dime toward a stamp.

Sent from my iPhone 5 using Forum Runner

He lives too far away from the USPO to drop it off! [wink] [rofl]

Sometimes, I just don't get it. I really don't. This is one of these threads where I am at a loss for words. If you have an FA-10, it seems pretty easy to me. Go to a PO, and mail the damn thing. Frig people.

Sometimes, I just don't get it. I really don't. This is one of these threads where I am at a loss for words. If you have an FA-10, it seems pretty easy to me. Go to a PO, and mail the damn thing. Frig people.

I was just poking fun at him as he lives a mere couple of blocks from the nearest USPO. Of course it is very likely that he can't find any "acceptable" paper forms and is just printing out a PDF to fill in.

I was just poking fun at him as he lives a mere couple of blocks from the nearest USPO. Of course it is very likely that he can't find any "acceptable" paper forms and is just printing out a PDF to fill in.

True. I took his form as a real FA-10 form. If that is the case, and it is already filled out, then mail it. If not, then just use the eFA-10.

Ok -

Here's the scenario -

Thanks.

Why do this? You're wasting an FA-10 form. Just get his full name, LTC #, and DOB if you are going to just E-FA-10 it anyways. It's pointless to fill out the rest. You just made the buyer waste a bunch of time for nothing.

ETA: My preference is to do it before the transaction, not after. The only problem with this is that if the guy backs out and the gun never transfers, then you probably have to get CJIS involved to fix it. So I only do that with people I trust. Then again I don't sell guns to weeble wobbles anyways.

-Mike

I need to fill out an E-FA-10. (This is the way I want to do it because it is the future).

But, I must get a PIN number from my local police department because they issued my LTC-A originally. (That is what the https://mircs.chs.state.ma.us/fa10/ website says.) (This is another reason to go to E-FA-10s; they don't have a supply of the paper ones and looked at me like it was the first time they had been asked a question regarding FA-10 paper forms.)

Hopefully, I can get a PIN without too much trouble so I can get on with the process of transferring ownership of a gun.

Question: Have any of you NES folks had any issues with getting a PIN from your local police department?
I am hoping that the E-mail to the licensing authority in my little seaside town on the south shore of MA is answered quickly and with positive results.

Thanks in advance for the answers.

Rich

I see where waltherlover is coming from. He is asking here if it wound be "legal"
Not all of us have a laptop computer and a printer in our cars!!!
If it only could take an e-mail address and automatically send a receipt like RMV does.
Meet up do the cert. check. Then Fill out all the info on the pdf FA-10 sign it and there is a record of all the info for both parties.
I have yet to find any local PD that have the FA-10 forms.

Go home and do the eFA10...but I suppose on the way home you are a felon???
At least when they come a knocking you have all the info on hand.

Ok -

Here's the scenario -

Thanks.

Last edited:
I need to fill out an E-FA-10. (This is the way I want to do it because it is the future).

But, I must get a PIN number from my local police department because they issued my LTC-A originally. (That is what the https://mircs.chs.state.ma.us/fa10/ website says.) (This is another reason to go to E-FA-10s; they don't have a supply of the paper ones and looked at me like it was the first time they had been asked a question regarding FA-10 paper forms.)

Hopefully, I can get a PIN without too much trouble so I can get on with the process of transferring ownership of a gun.

Question: Have any of you NES folks had any issues with getting a PIN from your local police department?
I am hoping that the E-mail to the licensing authority in my little seaside town on the south shore of MA is answered quickly and with positive results.

Thanks in advance for the answers.

Rich

Good News!!
I just received the E-mail from my licensing authority with my PIN#. Now, I can transfer without the paperwork! They really surprised me.

Thanks for your input.

Rich

Good News!!
I just received the E-mail from my licensing authority with my PIN#. Now, I can transfer without the paperwork! They really surprised me.

Thanks for your input.

Rich

That's really great to hear that your licensing authority sends out personal identification numbers via unsecured email communications so you can further the commonwealth's illegal electronic registration scheme.

When are people going to get it?

That's really great to hear that your licensing authority sends out personal identification numbers via unsecured email communications so you can further the commonwealth's illegal electronic registration scheme.

When are people going to get it?

Maybe there will be a computer hacking program along shortly which just fills in FA10's with bogus information. Wait, that is illegal, right? So aren't all the other computer viruses and frauds. Of course, so is firearms registration. Wheee!

Anyone have an idea on after you fill out the eFA10 how long it is to get a response if it was accepted or not?

A lifetime! Just like the paper forms, there is NO response.

You can save it as a PDF and print it out and it will have the very special FRB Tracking Number on it, but that's all. As for "proof" of any transaction, since it has no signatures on it, you are on your own.

A lifetime! Just like the paper forms, there is NO response.

You can save it as a PDF and print it out and it will have the very special FRB Tracking Number on it, but that's all. As for "proof" of any transaction, since it has no signatures on it, you are on your own.

They suck. No wonder the number of people who continued to fall for the licensing scam went down after 1998.

Hello, EFA-10 Question, If i buy a shotgun out of state and want to register it in MA, who is required of me to fill out an EFA-10. As i how much information on the dealer is required? If i buy say an extra barrel for a Mossberg or Remington are there any procedures for purchasing the barrel? (example i buy an 18.5 inch mossberg but then purchase a 28 inch barrel off of an online sight? )

Hello, EFA-10 Question, If i buy a shotgun out of state and want to register it in MA, who is required of me to fill out an EFA-10. As i how much information on the dealer is required? If i buy say an extra barrel for a Mossberg or Remington are there any procedures for purchasing the barrel? (example i buy an 18.5 inch mossberg but then purchase a 28 inch barrel off of an online sight? )

NO info on where you got it, just gun and your info is required.

Online form will IMPLY that you must tell them where you got it, but not so and if you ignore that screen it will let you proceed.

thank you sir, NOW, the question if i purchase an interchangeable barrel, will i need to register it? I ask that because sometimes these forms have you write down barrel length of the shotgun

Im going to assume no

Last edited:
thank you sir, NOW, the question if i purchase an interchangeable barrel, will i need to register it? I ask that because sometimes these forms have you write down barrel length of the shotgun

Im going to assume no

You fill out only one FA-10 "as received" (assuming a complete gun "able to shoot", which is the MA definition of a gun). What you do with it afterwards (change calibers - think Thompson Contenders, change barrels, etc.) do NOT require any further paperwork to the state.

Back
Top Bottom