• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

DURHAM, N.H.don’t offend classmates of color

DURHAM, N.H. — Universities are urging students in search of an attention-grabbing costume this Halloween to pass on sombreros, Native American headdresses, and blackface.
Those are some of the costumes grabbing the attention of university administrators who are increasingly concerned that certain costumes are becoming flashpoints in campus debates over race and culture. While not outright prohibiting any costume, administrators are using letters, campus forums and advertising campaigns to encourage students to pick outfits that don’t offend classmates of color.
Some, like the University of Texas at Austin, issued a flyer encouraging students to consider how a costume aligns with an organization’s values and whether it is ‘‘reflective of a certain racial group, gender, and/or economic class.’’ It also includes a list of harmful themes or costumes: any painting or tinting of skin, stereotypes of Asian culture, cowboys and Indians, or south of the border/fiesta. Comic book heroes and time period themes are fine.

http://www.bostonglobe.com

I was at a professional development meeting in the spring in which we were told sombreros weren't appropriate for cinco de Mayo parties due to the evil of cultural reappropriation. When it was over I asked my small team of teachers if they thought it was ok if I culturally reappropriated a couple margaritas into my belly. On laughed pretty hard, the other two frowned. I learned I had one friend at work that day!

F-em, Everybody show up wearing a Trump mask , watch the liberal meltdown.

Will this one do?

ACUtXd1.jpg

I was at a professional development meeting in the spring in which we were told sombreros weren't appropriate for cinco de Mayo parties due to the evil of cultural reappropriation. When it was over I asked my small team of teachers if they thought it was ok if I culturally reappropriated a couple margaritas into my belly. On laughed pretty hard, the other two frowned. I learned I had one friend at work that day!

It's wrong to have a sense of humor. Unless the butt of the joke is a non-protected class, like old fat whiteies, ( I can use that term, as that's me). [laugh]

DURHAM, N.H. — Universities are urging students in search of an attention-grabbing costume this Halloween to pass on sombreros, Native American headdresses, and blackface.
Those are some of the costumes grabbing the attention of university administrators who are increasingly concerned that certain costumes are becoming flashpoints in campus debates over race and culture. While not outright prohibiting any costume, administrators are using letters, campus forums and advertising campaigns to encourage students to pick outfits that don’t offend classmates of color.
Some, like the University of Texas at Austin, issued a flyer encouraging students to consider how a costume aligns with an organization’s values and whether it is ‘‘reflective of a certain racial group, gender, and/or economic class.’’ It also includes a list of harmful themes or costumes: any painting or tinting of skin, stereotypes of Asian culture, cowboys and Indians, or south of the border/fiesta. Comic book heroes and time period themes are fine.

http://www.bostonglobe.com

They should pick clothes that fit and that don't offend me.

I am minority with thick skin. I personally believe we are coddling our young (next generation) and are becoming extremely sensative as a whole.

I read a story about a white guy who put on black paint (all over his body) and had claws and horns. His costume was a demon. Social media called it "blackface". Those idiots do not know what blackface is if they accused him of that. He wasnt pretending to be african american...just a damn demon.

A group of kids should go dressed as the village people.They have one of everything.

Did anyone understand that having a cinco de Mayo party is in itself cultural appropriation?

I'm insulted that Congresswoman Frederica Wilson has appropriated my culture! And she does it everyday, not just on Haloween!

If Ted Kennedy had driven a VW he would have been president.

Now, that's funny, for old people....like me [laugh]

- - - Updated - - -

Oh hell yes.
Can you imagine a hundred people all showing up dressed in that ?
The SJW's would be shaking like a Chiwawa on a cold day.

The SJWs will be wearing that, as Irony. Oh, the Irony [laugh]

Is it acceptable for a naturalized American of Indian (the country) ancestry or a native american Indian to dress up as a cowboy or pilgrim for Halloween, or is that cultural appropriation? Is it like racism, and only white people can be guilty of appropriation?

And what if a kid dresses as a Ninja turtle? Is he appropriating Japanese culture, or reptilian?

I was looking for the classic Far Side cartoon of a cowboy kicking a V8 (the title was "Cowboys always had trouble with engines") and could not find it, but discovered there was a movie with the title "Cowboys and Engines".
If Ted Kennedy had driven a VW he would have been president.
If you are ever at GFA Armstech in Natick, ask Greg to show you where his office is - there is a copy of the VW Kennedy lampoon ad on the wall right outside the door.

Last edited:
If I'm offended by certain tattoos that people have, can I force them to be removed? I'll even donate an angle grinder and wheels.

Back
Top Bottom