• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Dumb Question

The Village Idiot

Shooting at the big range in heaven. 1952-2009
NES Member
The Live Free Or Keep Voting In dimocrats State
Don't know if this question has been asked before:
I purchased a "tin" of 7.62X54R ammo for my 91/30 Nagants. It is supposedly "lacquer" coated. Is there a way to remove the lacquer from the ammo prior to shooting? It gums up the action and I do clean the rifles religiously but it is a pain in the butt.

Lacquer coated shells in a Mosin is no big deal. What you are most likely experiencing is Mosin Sticky Bolt Syndrome. It happens in lots of Mosins. Some say its a result of poor machining while Ivan was trying his best to crank out Mosins while the bombs were hitting the factories. Others say its different size specs in 7.62x54r ammo.
Whatever it may be my advice is to whack that bolt with the palm of your hand and try a few more different types of ammo untill you find one that doesn't stick.
Do a serach for Mosin Sticky Bolt and that will reveal many possible fixes from various sites and forums.

I had one Mosin, a repro PU sniper, that was so bad on the sticky bolt that I returned it and had it replaced with a new one.

That was with non-lacquered Russian ammo. The lacquered Czech silver tip has never given me any problems.

Thanks guys. It is not "sticky bolt syndrome" since she cycles well. When I got the rifle, I thoroughly cleaned her down to taking the bolt apart to remove the cosmoline. After putting @20-30 rounds through her per trip to the range the throat area is packed with crap which I assumed must be from the ammo. I will take your suggestions and try different ammo.

Back
Top Bottom