Dueling Tree...looking to get one...

Hey guys, I'd like to get a decent dueling tree, is there anything I should look for/avoid, who's got the best for the $$$.

My "requirements" are pretty simple:
1. Handle "real" hand gun rounds (not just 22's, or frangable)
2. Be light enough for one guy to set up / move.
3. Store relatively small, (transporting "big" is fine since I drive a pickup, but really don't want a "huge tree" taking up a bunch of garage space)

This one http://www.shopactiontarget.com/pt-dueling-tree.html looks nice, but at $500 for "heavy duty" seems a little expensive...

Suggestions guys...

M1911 is correct.I shoot at Harvard Sportsmens Club and they allow steel. Make sure first. Get a dueling tree that you can mount a large base to to keep it from falling over. You can't use the anchor pins when the ground is frozen.A piece of plywwod works well. If you get one that works with rimfire, it'll be too light for centerfire handguns and the plates will bounce back from the recoil. A dueling tree for centerfire handguns will not take the abuse of rifle rounds. The plates will break.

M1911 is correct.I shoot at Harvard Sportsmens Club and they allow steel. Make sure first. Get a dueling tree that you can mount a large base to to keep it from falling over. You can't use the anchor pins when the ground is frozen.A piece of plywwod works well. If you get one that works with rimfire, it'll be too light for centerfire handguns and the plates will bounce back from the recoil. A dueling tree for centerfire handguns will not take the abuse of rifle rounds. The plates will break.

yes steel is ok at my range.

not really looking to use rimfire or riflefire (primarily .40 cal, with some 38's, 9mm, and 45)

Resurrecting this thread. Saw a Birchwood-Casey Dueling tree for about $270. Others out there for $400 to $550. Who has one they like for a centerfire pistol caliber?

TacticalAr500targets.com has some really nice stuff. Not cheap though. Very high quality and great CS.

I have one from. . . . Action Target, maybe. I've probably used it 2 times in 15 years. Steel is heavy. Dueling trees are heavier. And more unwieldy.

Resurrecting this thread. Saw a Birchwood-Casey Dueling tree for about $270. Others out there for $400 to $550. Who has one they like for a centerfire pistol caliber?
I have one from. . . . Action Target, maybe. I've probably used it 2 times in 15 years. Steel is heavy. Dueling trees are heavier. And more unwieldy.
Yeah Action Target makes awesome targets.

Free shipping at Brownells today. But they just had $30 off $300 orders plus free shipping yesterday. Many times they have 10% off plus free shipping so I'd wait for those deals.
https://www.brownells.com/shooting-...el-targets/dueling-tree-target-prod38942.aspx

Hmmm. Maybe not Action Target. Mine isn't that fancy. It's plates welded to 1/2" (I think) rod to fit into tubes in the back of the tree. Might stand 42-48". I think it's 8 plates in total.

Found it. Law Enforcement Targets - swallowed by Action. My tree isn't made anymore, I think. It SEEMS to be on the AT website for $330 or so. But it's a very blurry pic.

I will say this about dueling trees - there are many ranges where they shouldn't be used. If it's not against the berm (let's say you are shooting at the 50yd line and put it 15 yds out because your range requires you to be at the firing line only), you're gonna be skipping rounds shooting at the low men on the tree. So be aware before sinking $ into a target stand you may not be able to use.

I have the Birchwood-Casey one, I use a little bigger case than came with it (I think a Plano) and it fits in it without having to remove the plates. It now sets up in like 2 minutes tops. It is holding up very well. I got it on one of those 20%? off eBay deals but if for some reason it got lost or whatever I would buy another one immediately.

I also have the Birchwood-Casey and it works well for me for 45 and 9mm. The 6 paddles are 3/8 inch AR500 and have no problem handling handgun rounds, but the “trunk” of the tree is just regular steel, so unless you’re reliably accurate (I’m not), you'll want to keep your rounds in the 9mm, 45, 357 mag range so you don’t do too much damage if you miss the paddle and hit the trunk. Got it on sale from Midway for $200 plus $25 shipping. I’ve also used it for my 22 mag Henry rifle and it’s great fun.

Back
Top Bottom