Dual Residency and Handgun Transport/Use

I've spoken with several attorneys and received conflicting information about this. My primary residence is Massachusetts, and I own a summer home in New Hampshire. For ATF purposes, I'm a resident of New Hampshire "while I reside there". This allows me to purchase a handgun in New Hampshire (I have to show property tax bill and 3 months of utility bills). Up until now, I've mostly purchased guns that are not Mass compliant in NH and don't ever bring them to Mass. Now that I have a MA LTC, what are my options if I purchase a MA compliant handgun in NH? Can it never spend time at my primary residence in Massachusetts? I hate having to use a completely separate gun collection for my MA shooting club and my NH shooting club. Assuming I don't want to be operating in a gray area, I plan on buying guns for my primary residence in MA. However, I do have a few MA compliant revolvers in NH that I'd like to shoot once in awhile at my MA range. Does anyone know definitively whether I can do this?

JD

MA compliance only covers what can be sold to you by a dealer - you can own anything you want as long as it doesn't violate the assault weapons ban (no magazines over 10 rounds).

You are a resident where you have your driver license. I owned a house in NH and one in Ma. I lived in Ma. where I had my DL, in NH I am a non resident. They don't care how many tax bills you have.

You are a resident where you have your driver license. I owned a house in NH and one in Ma. I lived in Ma. where I had my DL, in NH I am a non resident. They don't care how many tax bills you have.

NOT true per law. Just like MA, PDs can issue Resident licenses to part-time residents or REFUSE. Dealers are free to refuse a sale as well. Fed Law is crystal clear about this. It's been debated here too many times to count.

As long as you have a mass ltc you an carry or own whatever you want as long as it is compliant with the Assault weapon ban. "the list" refers to what a mass shop can sell you........you can own and carry what you want.

Just a word of caution though..........if you are not up to speed on mass transportation and storage laws you may want to brush up on that before you transport them over the border especially if you have anything that mass considers "high capacity" as the transport laws are different than NH

Last edited:
Len, Does OP need to eFA-10 any NH bought handgun he would want to carry/possess in MA? I know you don't need to do so when moving into MA from other states, but unsure about this scenario.

MA compliance is NEVER about ownership or use. It is about dealers. You have to abide by the AWB and magazine limits, but that is it. You can bring your CZ75 with a 10 round magazine into MA and use to your hearts content.

You do need to FA10 within 7 days any gun your bring into MA to "keep" in MA. If it is only range trips, I think things are less clear.

Again, possession of non-MA compliant handguns is a total non issue

I've spoken with several attorneys and received conflicting information about this. My primary residence is Massachusetts, and I own a summer home in New Hampshire. For ATF purposes, I'm a resident of New Hampshire "while I reside there". This allows me to purchase a handgun in New Hampshire (I have to show property tax bill and 3 months of utility bills). Up until now, I've mostly purchased guns that are not Mass compliant in NH and don't ever bring them to Mass. Now that I have a MA LTC, what are my options if I purchase a MA compliant handgun in NH? Can it never spend time at my primary residence in Massachusetts? I hate having to use a completely separate gun collection for my MA shooting club and my NH shooting club. Assuming I don't want to be operating in a gray area, I plan on buying guns for my primary residence in MA. However, I do have a few MA compliant revolvers in NH that I'd like to shoot once in awhile at my MA range. Does anyone know definitively whether I can do this?

JD

Said the guy who just joined and has two posts. Is this the script that was given to you by your boss Maura?

this being his first post.......I think we are NOT dealing with a troll

Hey everyone! Been reading for years and finally joined. My name is John and I live in Newton, MA. I've done a lot of training at Sig Sauer academy over the past 3 years and despite owning several guns (Sig P226, P229, S&W revolver, .22 plinker) at my 2nd residence in a constitutional carry state, I only recently decided to go through the process in my home state because my home town had been RED for so long. So far it seems to have gone smoothly as I had my interview 6 days after my LTC application and it was a quick yes. Just waiting the 8 weeks they told me to wait before calling back to see if my license is in. I was also told to wait one year to have the Hunting and Target restriction removed. Relative to Newton in the past this is great, but it will still be a long year. I belong to Winnipesaukee Sportsman's Club and plan to join Weston Shooter's Club once my license comes through. I'm planning on taking a weekend long training course on IDPA soon so that I can start competing and am in the process of trying to become an NRA pistol instructor (to help with restriction removal). You have all been a tremendous help to me throughout the process so far. Despite my username, I'm not a lawyer.

Responding to Grizquad:

I researched this for a long time and this is not true. As I stated, for ATF purposes you are resident of a state while you are residing there. If you own a home in a state, you can buy weapons in that state if you plan to keep them there. I've purchased from 3 FFLs, some of which would take NO chances, and all 3 asked for same info (one property tax bill, 3 consecutive utility bills). They were all familiar with this and had no issue whatsoever.

At the time of purchase, I did not even have a New Hampshire pistol license.

You are correct. For work I ended up renting an apartment outside of Dallas. I went and got a state non-drivers ID from Texas. I had no problem with purchasing firearms when I was in TX. When in TX I was a TX resident. When in MA I was a MA resident. Since I was spending almost 1/2 my time in TX...

Any gun I brought back to MA from TX I did an FA10 for when I brought it back.

TX had no problem with issuing a non-drivers ID when I held a drivers license in another state. NH appears to explicitly forbid that combination.

Responding to Grizquad:

I researched this for a long time and this is not true. As I stated, for ATF purposes you are resident of a state while you are residing there. If you own a home in a state, you can buy weapons in that state if you plan to keep them there. I've purchased from 3 FFLs, some of which would take NO chances, and all 3 asked for same info (one property tax bill, 3 consecutive utility bills). They were all familiar with this and had no issue whatsoever.

At the time of purchase, I did not even have a New Hampshire pistol license.

Len, Does OP need to eFA-10 any NH bought handgun he would want to carry/possess in MA? I know you don't need to do so when moving into MA from other states, but unsure about this scenario.

Yes, as a MA Resident he must eFA-10 as "registration" (SKIP the first screen asking where you got the gun, fill out ONLY gun and your info) the first time the gun crosses the MA border (within 7 days of the gun coming into MA).

Yes, as a MA Resident he must eFA-10 as "registration" (SKIP the first screen asking where you got the gun, fill out ONLY gun and your info) the first time the gun crosses the MA border (within 7 days of the gun coming into MA).

And this doesn't require an FFL because you aren't "transferring" ownership? Very interesting. I guess it is akin to moving your residence?

And this doesn't require an FFL because you aren't "transferring" ownership? Very interesting. I guess it is akin to moving your residence?

If you own it, no matter where it is (in the USA only), NO FFL is ever required.

No, it is nothing like moving your residence. You never re-register a gun a second time no matter where you move.

So according to you if one does not have a DL, they aren't a resident of anywhere . . . a man/woman without a country!!

[shocked] [rolleyes]

Please advise what law requires a DL in order to be a resident of any state????? [thinking]

Do the big NH dealers break balls or have the right to Id you for residency when buying magazines?

Only places like Shooters outpost, etc... maybe there are others? dont know... but magazines are no different a loaf of bread at most gun stores in NH.

-Mike

NOT true per law. Just like MA, PDs can issue Resident licenses to part-time residents or REFUSE. Dealers are free to refuse a sale as well. Fed Law is crystal clear about this. It's been debated here too many times to count.
As I stated, it all boils down to what the chief (or whoever issues the licenses) decides. I had no problem whatsoever getting my Resident NH P/R License while still holding a MA DL and MA Resident LTC . . . same was true for my Wife. We own houses in both states and live at each one regularly. In a few months we'll completely move to NH and only "reside" in MA to pack up a few things or while contractors are working to make the house more attractive for sale.

Back
Top Bottom