Dry firing with spent shell

I have a few already fired shells laying around and they are the right size 12 ga 2 3/4 and i went to use them for dry firing but when i put them in my 870 super magnum they always get jammed in the barrel and i have to manual remove them with a screw driving is there a reason for this!?

If they were fired in a shotgun with a looser fitting chamber than your 870, than the brass at the base of the shell may have expanded to the point where they won't go in (or out) of your shotgun easily. Or, the expanded crimp on the end of the fired shell is hanging up somehow, perhaps plastic residue in the chamber.

You might think about getting some of THESE.

Yeah i have got some snap caps on the way just wanted to test out a shell. They were fired out of a O/U browning so it could have been the case.

Yeah i have got some snap caps on the way just wanted to test out a shell. They were fired out of a O/U browning so it could have been the case.

There is quite a bit of allowable variation in chamber dimensions. One of my Mossberg barrels will let hulls expand to the point where they won't fit in anything else I have without resizing. As long as an empty you fired out of the 870 doesn't get hung up in the same shotgun, you should be fine.

in general, I think it is a bad idea. There is always the chance that you load your "spent "shell into the gun, pull the trigger, and hear a big boom from a live round.

The snap caps are usually clear plastic, and can never be confused with a live round. Also, they have a spring loading so that the firing pin always contacts the "primer" area. A spent shell is going to have the primer area all dented in.

If they were fired in a shotgun with a looser fitting chamber than your 870, than the brass at the base of the shell may have expanded to the point where they won't go in (or out) of your shotgun easily. Or, the expanded crimp on the end of the fired shell is hanging up somehow, perhaps plastic residue in the chamber.

You might think about getting some of THESE.

I use these. I've never had any good experience with plastic snap caps; they aleways seem to break on me.

http://www.midwayusa.com/viewProduct/?productNumber=776843

If it's a modern gun just dry fire it. You're not going to break anything unless it's an antique.

I'm only wondering why - why would you dry fire with spent shotgun shells? I'm not trying to be smart but I can't think of a thing you'll gain. Unless, you're doing reload or I/A drills - even then I'm still a little confused.

I also personally agree with Spanz, and as a rule of thumb I never dry fire or do any drill with any blanks/dummies that are not clearly made to be blanks/trainers/dummies. Just a rule of thumb for me to potentially avoid any issues down the road. Mental or not.

Last edited:
I got the azoom 12ga snap caps they work great but the rims on the are already beat up probably just from using them a lot?

Back
Top Bottom