drunk guy shot dead >>

Tragic - yes. A lot of the comments are about how sensless it is, or how inappropriate it was to shoot the guy, etc.

I would like to remind these folks that there is no way of knowing the intentions of a shiit-hammered man kicking in your door in the middle of the night.

http://www.ksfy.com/news/local/42768587.html

An SDSU college student and Sioux Falls native is dead tonight. Brookings police say a homeowner shot and killed Bradley Joe Odens just before 2:00 this morning after he allegedly tried to force his way into a Brookings home.

No arrests have been made as the investigation into this bizarre, tragic encounter unfolds. Late this afternoon, Brookings Police tell us Odens did make threats to the homeowner and continued to force his way in but they also say Odens was confused about where he was.

more here -- the comments will raise your blood pressure.

http://www.argusleader.com/article/20090409/UPDATES/90409039

South Dakota State University concert choir students remembered their fellow singer Bradley Odens Thursday as a guy who had a good sense of humor.

Last edited:
Just cause he's drunk doesn't give the guy the right to break into someone's home and threaten them.

And it's probably the kid's own fault for being drunk.

Sad but stupid story.

Idiot makes threats.

Idiot gets drunk.

Idiot tries to force his way into home of person he threatened.

Idiot gets shot.

Idiot dies.

Idiot wins Darwin Award.

Tell me how am I doing?

I have posted before about a similar situation that happened to my parents down in WV.

The subject was known to the local cops and the responding Deputy not only told my Dad that he was well within his rights to shoot, but if he ever saw the dirtbag on his property again, "shoot him and bury him out back. Don't bother calling us."

The homeowner did the right thing. He has to live with what he did.
The dead guy made one too many mistakes. He drank himself stupid, tried to break into someone else's home and he did not stop when given the chance.
3 strikes and you're out!

A little chlorine in the gene pool is the way I look at it.

You missed one:

Guy who was threatened gets crucified for shooting a literal choir boy. [thinking]
I didn't miss that.

This happened in South Dakota. Did you read the comments made by the police spokesman on the news report?

Most of the US does not work like Massachusetts.

It's pretty sad that a person thinks they have to kill a man for coming into their house. How cowardly do you have to be to pull something like this off. Note to brookings residents: If a college kid stumbles into your house by mistake, try laughing it off and pointing him in the right direction, instead of murdering him.

OMG.

If someone forcefully enters your home you should be able to do whatever you need to protect yourself and your family, bottom line. Where did we go so wrong that we are no longer able to do this and actually have to stop and think about it [thinking]

Too drunk to survive: Drink, do stupid things, win stupid prizes. I can have no sympathy for the kid. I have much sympathy for the homeowner. I would have done exactly the same thing if I confronted someone breaking into my house and they didn't desist.

If someone forcefully enters your home you should be able to do whatever you need to protect yourself and your family, bottom line. Where did we go so wrong that we are no longer able to do this and actually have to stop and think about it [thinking]

When liberals and socalists took over our great country. [angry]

This is tragic, for both the drunken choir boy and the homeowner, but honestly, there are far too many college and post-college age kids who think there are no consequences to the kind of drinking that leaves you not able to identify your own home.

I remember when I was in college, of course there was drinking on a friday night, but apparently now Friday isn't good enough, Thursday is the new Friday. Weekends are now a three day long drinking fest. And you can't just go grab a few beers with your buddy. It's "I am going to drink you under the table". "No, I'm going to get wasted faster than you." and "I haven't stopped drinking since Wednesday!"

Recently, my wife (college student!) and her friend, and her friend's "friend", went to a Patriot's game. After the game, while sitting in the car waiting for the windows to defrost, my wife's friend's friend drank 5 bottles of beer, in probably 5 minutes. We were both just stunned. And all the two of them could talk about all the way home was how they couldn't wait to get wasted.

Last week I found out this kid was now in jail for running from the cops while driving drunk and on a suspended license.

And now, from this story, all we will hear is "Oh so sad, a choir boy who made everyone laugh made a little boo boo and tried to get in to the wrong house"... well I say NO! He made the decision to ignore the consequences and drank himself into such a state that he has not only ruined the lives of those around him, his family, his friends, but also the life of the homeowner and his family.

Man, lately I can't read the news without getting really ticked off at people.

That's pretty harsh.

BTW, what college did you go to to become a private investigator?

The kid was out of his mind as a result of his own decisions. However, to imply that he deserved death for getting blitzed alone is unreasonable.

The homeowner had to defend his family. In my opinion, it is a sad situation for everyone involved. I just wish the guy left the party early or that one of his friends could have helped him to the door.

I remember when I was in college, of course there was drinking on a friday night, but apparently now Friday isn't good enough, Thursday is the new Friday. Weekends are now a three day long drinking fest.

You think that's something new? Back in 1978 when I started college, partying started on Thursday night, usually around 10 PM. Friday morning classes were something to be avoided when choosing classes at the start of the semester.

That's pretty harsh.

BTW, what college did you go to to become a private investigator?

The kid was out of his mind as a result of his own decisions. However, to imply that he deserved death for getting blitzed alone is unreasonable.

The homeowner had to defend his family. In my opinion, it is a sad situation for everyone involved. I just wish the guy left the party early or that one of his friends could have helped him to the door.

I didn't say the kid deserved to die. I said some of these kids don't understand that there are consequences. Some of them manage to drink responsibly, even get drunk and party responsibly, while some just don't get it. And now, because this kid just didn't get it, a lot of people have to bear the burden of his inability to understand that there are consequences.

And I didn't go to college to become a private investigator. But that has no bearing on this thread.

I just wish the guy left the party early or that one of his friends could have helped him to the door.
We can all "wish" a lot of things when it comes to avoiding the consequences of our actions...

We are nationalizing that ideology as we speak, but reality says otherwise...

Did he deserve to die for getting blitzed - no, he but he did deserve whatever happened when he allowed himself to get so drunk he could not prevent himself from breaking into someone else's home and threatening them...

It's sad, it's avoidable, it's a tragedy for his friends and family, but it is ultimately entirely on his shoulders to be responsible for his actions regardless of his BAC... (as it is for all of us...)

Death is not a fair sentence for his crime but by committing that crime he waived his right to have a say in his sentence and essentially chose to pick his sentence blindly from a hat. It's a shame he picked "life ends here". It sucks for him, his family, and the homeowner. No one will come out of this emotionally unscathed because although it is 100% justifiable (according to the facts in the paper as to how it went down) he did not deserve to die for being drunk and stupid.

he did not deserve to die for being drunk and stupid.
I agree with just about everything you said - definitely sad but 100% justifiable.

However, I have to point out that he "deserved to die" as much as anyone doing something dumb while drunk (jumping off of high things, ramming cars into large things, lighting fires, setting off explosives, stopping their heart, etc...)

The person who really "didn't deserve this" is the guy forced to make the awful decision to take a life to defend himself and family...

Too often people forget about the original victim (though many have rightfully pointed out in this thread that in his place you could not know he was a "harmless drunk", nor is everyone who is drunk and disoriented "harmless").

Sure. I agree with you including justifiable.

I don't know if you have a plan in the event that something like this happens. I do. I would be on the phone with 911 at the top of my stairs.

My intentions would be to let the cops come and clear the first floor of the house.

And like the homeowner I would assume he was dangerous. Absolutely. He was clearly not a harmless drunk since he was breaking into the house and making threats. That's why I wouldn't go downstairs. If the police didn't arrive in time. The stairs would be my do not cross line. (Everything I care about is beyond the top of my stairs)

It was 2 am and pitch black out. From the outside it looked like his house to him. Once inside he could have continued his threats or he could have awoken to a sobering reality.

I'm not saying it wasn't justified or that the homeowner should have anticipated this. But what I am saying is that with a different plan, the homeowner may have been able to avoid the decision that he made.

Last edited:
My intentions would be to let the cops come and clear the first floor of the house.
Ahh, the Martha Coakley "no self-help method"[laugh]

Ok, here's what I suggest you do...

Take a stop watch and start it when you walk through the front door... You can kick in a door with one kick if you are anrgy, drunk, or skilled - trust me, I've done it...

Now, with your stop watch clicking away - walk briskly to every room in your house...

How long did that take?

Still want to wait for the police?

No offense intended, I understand that people have unrealistic expectations about these events for lack of experiencing them (thankfully), but if you ever experience a violent attack, you will find your expectations were painfully flawed...

I am not trying to disparage the police - I know for a fact that they can be to my house pretty quickly (wife discovered that pressing 9 on your new phone dials 911[shocked] and they don't take "oops, misdialed" for an answer - they show up QUICKLY).

But, however quick and capable they may be, they won't stop a home invader from killing everyone in the house if they wanted to...

Moreover as I have family who has experienced break-ins, I know that if someone breaks into your house, it has often been cased before hand. So, they know where the bedrooms are, how many people to expect, etc...

The kid was a moron. If he was such a "nice guy", he would not have done what he did, drunk or sober. I feel for the homeowner defending his family who was put into this situation by this nimrod.

"Ahh, the Martha Coakley "no self-help method""

"you will find your expectations were painfully flawed... "

Not exactly.
And maybe.

For some things the best defense is a good offense.

We just have differences of opinion on this issue.

Mine is that if my castle has been compromised I'm going to turn the bedroom into a bunker. Bottom line is that I'd be less likely to be hurt there than if I tried to clear my house. I don't have military or police training. If the BG's threats are legit, the line is a lot more clear when they attempt to breach a second door.

Back
Top Bottom