• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

drunk guy shot dead >>

Their will be a huge amount of people out their who will sing the praises of this kid, and I will not deny that maybe he was a great kid sober, but, the fact of the matter is he was drunk. He was drunk enough not to understand the serious nature of the actions he was taking. This good kid, was drunk enough to get enraged, and to take actions, that parallel that of a coke/crack head. He, from the article, was kicking at the door, he purposefully was breaking glass to enter. Anyone of us know, that after several cans of liquid hero, when we get angry, it take a good deal of time to " calm down". How was the owner supposed to know, that upon entry to his home, that this obviously drunk young man, was not hopped up on anything else? Or that this enraged stranger would calm down at the site of an unfamiliar face? With current events of people just snapping and doing in innocent people, that this kid may have been on a suicide mission, and looking for a family to take with him on a one way ticket to hell, how was the owner supposed to find this out. Everyone from you and I, law abiding citizens with firearms, to the (evil) ACLU, will have an idea how to do it differently. IMHO, it happend as it should have, unfortunate as it was at the loss of life, of, what seems to have been a decent kid. But we should keep in mind, we hold drunk drivers accountable for their drunken stupidity, with no mercy. As such, this kid felt the effects of very unwise choices, and has paid the last debt owed to god. From the ashes hopefully will rise a rose, we can only hope that parents, freinds, and family will be more pro-active, and teach these young adults, that bad actions by them, will result in bad actions on them. I am all for people having a good time, I would love for them to make their roots, but they need to understand with every action is reaction. I pray for the family, and this kids soul, but also pray for the homeowner, that he finds peace in the knowledge, he did what he made a promise to do, and protected his family.

If I were in the same perdicament, it would be the same story with a different address, I swore on my life to my wife, and in front of our family and freinds, to love, honor, cherish, and protect her and them. They never made mention how. I will make no compromise. And neither did the homeowner, god bless him!

Mine is that if my castle has been compromised I'm going to turn the bedroom into a bunker. Bottom line is that I'd be less likely to be hurt there than if I tried to clear my house. I don't have military or police training. If the BG's threats are legit, the line is a lot more clear when they attempt to breach a second door.
This is the perennial problem with self defense, by time you are "sure" its often to late...

I still encourage you to time out your scenario if you have not done so - compare the time it takes you to hear something, convince yourself its more than just your run of the mill bump in the night, get out of bed, arm yourself and get your loved ones in their defensive position...

Even with the most optimistic assumptions of detecting the intrusion, I honestly think you will find you don't have the time you need to get reach your defensive posture...

This is the perennial problem with self defense, by time you are "sure" its often to late...

I still encourage you to time out your scenario if you have not done so - compare the time it takes you to hear something, convince yourself its more than just your run of the mill bump in the night, get out of bed, arm yourself and get your loved ones in their defensive position...

Even with the most optimistic assumptions of detecting the intrusion, I honestly think you will find you don't have the time you need to get reach your defensive posture...

I thought we were talking about a guy who was kicking a door, breaking glass, and so stumbling drunk that he couldn't tell what house he was at...

If mercenaries come smashing through the windows at 2am, you're right, I'm screwed.

Last edited:
I thought we were talking about a guy who was kicking a door, breaking glass, and so stumbling drunk that he couldn't tell what house he was at...

If mercenaries come smashing through the windows at 2am, you're right, I'm screwed.
Well, perhaps more importantly, you won't have time to get back to cent-com and make the call as to which it is... [wink]

Could be home invaders who pick the lock or kick in a door/window - or it could be drunk guy doing the same... You won't likely have time and information to make that call before you or your loved ones are at risk..

You know, I am curious, but are there any tactics schools that go over this. just sit you in the house, and ahve two people break into it. I've done this drill a few times before (and unfortunately had my place broken into before) and that stuff happens FAST, with the adrenaline kicking, you have no idea what you got (this was part of a shoot, no shoot exercise so stress was there too). I know this is available in some capacity for LEO, never tried looking for it on the civilian end.

I live in a small town with my family and someones been running up to the doors and windows of my house and has been kicking and punching them between 12:30 a.m and 2a.m scaring my mother and sister the other night someone was trying to open my bulkhead to the basement it might just be kids fooling around but today you cant be to sure it's to bad that someone had to be killed but i agree fully in what the homeowner did i hope he doesnt get charged

I live in a small town with my family and someones been running up to the doors and windows of my house and has been kicking and punching them between 12:30 a.m and 2a.m scaring my mother and sister the other night someone was trying to open my bulkhead to the basement it might just be kids fooling around but today you cant be to sure it's to bad that someone had to be killed but i agree fully in what the homeowner did i hope he doesnt get charged

Leave a lot of steel garden rakes lying around.

Drunk people make very poor decisions, and their behavior can be unpredictable and turn violent in a matter of milliseconds.

Every action has consequences, and just because someone lets their thought process get corrupted doesn't mean we as reasonable people have to put our safety at risk.

Choir boy or not is not relevant, what is relevant is he was attempting to break and enter in the night time, and in some parts of America that is going to get you shot. It would where I live no questions asked.

Back
Top Bottom