Dragunov tiger info

Not per Soviet spec with the correct ammunition. If the guy's shooting Tula steel cased then yeah, you won't expect high accuracy.
"To comply to the standards, the SVD rifle with 7N1 sniper cartridges may not produce more than 1.24 MOA extreme vertical spread with 240 mm twist rate barrels and no more than 1.04 MOA extreme vertical spread with 320 mm twist rate barrels."
ETA: 1.5-2 MOA is still more accurate than a USGI M16 per spec, so I'd say it's better than an "ok shooter."

Please see above. СВД is cool rifle, it was used by a very powerful army, it is still in use. But it is not a sniper rifle. I am trying to find its manual in English. Below one in Russian. Section 2.4.2

7.62-мм СНАЙПЕРСКАЯ ВИНТОВКА ДРАГУНОВА "СВД". ТЕХНИЧЕСКОЕ ОПИСАНИЕ И ИНСТРУКЦИЯ ПО ЭКСПЛУАТАЦИИ

Please see above. СВД is cool rifle, it was used by a very powerful army, it is still in use. But it is not a sniper rifle.
Considering the official designation is "Sniper Rifle, System of Dragunov, Model of the Year 1963" I guess we can just disagree. You can argue it's outdated, sure. But it is a sniper rifle.

Considering the official designation is "Sniper Rifle, System of Dragunov, Model of the Year 1963" I guess we can just disagree. You can argue it's outdated, sure. But it is a sniper rifle.

I don't care how it is called. It is a good fire support weapon, more like DMR. You can get Mosin rifle that shoots much better.

Rifle with acceptable accuracy in 8cm at 100m is ok shooter.

They should be run because it's pretty much just sacrilege if they're not fired. Mind numbing. This isn't some fudd drilling with $30,000 worth of scrollwork on the side it was a sniper rifle designed to get clogged with buffalo dung and cleaned with soldier urine at random intervals. Yevgeni, Ivan, or whoever built it will be upset if it is not used. [laugh]

I would shoot a $30,000 drilling.

If these were my guns, I'd keep them and love them and feed them Lapua-grade ammo on a frequent basis and never let them go. But, it depends on what the OP wants to do. If he wants to sell them, then shooting them a lot wouldn't be worth it.

Like I said, I would shoot the guns myself.

The SVD is a DMR rifle. Soviet doctrine was to deploy a bunch of these guns to above-average marksmen to support regular infantry. That's what the SVD was designed to do, similar to our M1903A4s or the No. 4 Mk1 (T) or the WW2 German K98k "snipers."

Former CommBloc snipers do use SVDs, but they have other tools at their disposal as well, such as the SV-98, VKS, Lobaev, M93 Black Arrow, etc.

The closest I've gotten to playing with a SVD was handling a Zastava M91. The PSO-1 is a 4x24 fixed power scope, which is fine out to say 400-600 yards but generally won't win any world records for long distance kill-shots. The reticle isn't designed to be precise, its calibrated for hitting a human torso using an early form of a BDC. The optics quality isn't very high even when viewed in context of other Cold War era military or commercial scopes. Both the PSO-1 and the Bosnian Zrak I handled have glass quality like a dirty fishbowl - here's a PSO-1 from Wikipedia:

1589913559475.png

I agree that 1MOA can be achieved with a SVD. But the SVD isn't a precision rifle, such as what we here in the US would expect a "sniper" to use. The SVD is a designated marksman's rifle. And that's fine and we love them.

I don't care how it is called. It a good fire support weapon, more like DMR. You can Mosin that shoots better.

Put up or shut up. I want to see your groups with a scoped Mosin versus your groups with a SVD. Now.

If these were my guns, I'd keep them and love them and feed them Lapua-grade ammo on a frequent basis and never let them go. But, it depends on what the OP wants to do. If he wants to sell them, then shooting them a lot wouldn't be worth it.

The SVD is a DMR rifle. Soviet doctrine was to deploy a bunch of these guns to above-average marksmen to support regular infantry. That's what the SVD was designed to do, similar to our M1903A4s or the No. 4 Mk1 (T) or the WW2 German K98k "snipers."

Former CommBloc snipers do use SVDs, but they have other tools at their disposal as well, such as the SV-98, VKS, Lobaev, M93 Black Arrow, etc.

The closest I've gotten to playing with a SVD was handling a Zastava M91. The PSO-1 is a 4x24 fixed power scope, which is fine out to say 400-600 yards but generally won't win any world records for long distance kill-shots. The reticle isn't designed to be precise, its calibrated for hitting a human torso using an early form of a BDC. The optics quality isn't very high even when viewed in context of other Cold War era military or commercial scopes. Both the PSO-1 and the Bosnian Zrak I handled have glass quality like a dirty fishbowl - here's a PSO-1 from Wikipedia:

View attachment 358516

I agree that 1MOA can be achieved with a SVD. But the SVD isn't a precision rifle, such as what we here in the US would expect a "sniper" to use. The SVD is a designated marksman's rifle. And that's fine and we love them.

Put up or shut up. I want to see your groups with a scoped Mosin versus your groups with a SVD. Now.

People tried to get close to 1MOA with SVD. They failed. I do not think it is achievable in principle. I take 1.5MOA and I am ok with it.

Russian optics sucks big time, but it is radiation proof.

People tried to get close to 1MOA with SVD. They failed. I do not think it is achievable in principle. I take 1.5MOA and I am ok with it.

Russian optics sucks big time, but it is radiation proof.

Who are these "people"? Because Rob Ski's teenage daughter shot 0.87MOA with a PSL, which is widely regarded by everyone in the CommBloc gun community as worse than a SVD:

Again, I don't believe what you say until you can prove via your own personal experience that the SVD is incapable of 1MOA using quality ammo, proper training and technique, and a fundamental understanding of the rifle.

View attachment 358516

Who are these "people"? Because Rob Ski's teenage daughter shot 0.87MOA with a PSL, which is widely regarded by everyone in the CommBloc gun community as worse than a SVD:

Again, I don't believe what you say until you can prove via your own personal experience that the SVD is incapable of 1MOA using quality ammo, proper training and technique, and a fundamental understanding of the rifle.

Who are the people? People in Russia, obviously, where mosins and svds are much more available.

Who are the people? People in Russia, obviously, where mosins and svds are much more available.

Mosin M91/30s are available here in the US for $150-200. So that argument is moot.

You've done nothing to disprove anyone's claim that 1MOA is possible with a SVD. Come back when you have personal evidence. Otherwise, a teenage girl thoroughly debunked your statements.

Mosin M91/30s are available here in the US for $150-200. So that argument is moot.

You've done nothing to disprove anyone's claim that 1MOA is possible with a SVD. Come back when you have personal evidence. Otherwise, a teenage girl thoroughly debunked your statements.

One cannot prove negative. And you are free to believe whatever you want.

BTW, Russian shooters were offering a chunk of cash for proof of 1 MOA tiger or svd. No takers. Maybe, that girl should have tried to take that?

One cannot prove negative. And you are free to believe whatever you want.

Wrong again. If someone says "Vladimir Putin is a woman," that's pretty simple to prove either in the positive or the negative by taking a look in the necessary areas.

How about claiming that cash? Accuracy shall be measured by average of 2 groups, 5 shots each, fired at paper target at 100m.

Last edited:

You haven't seen one in the store lately have you? I was in my LGS about a month ago and he had 2 $375 each.

You haven't seen one in the store lately have you? I was in my LGS about a month ago and he had 2 $375 each.
It's wild how much they have gone up in price. I bought my first a few years ago for something like $120. Seemed like a value then. I can't imagine spending three times that.

Back
Top Bottom