• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Dog attack - How would you handle?

mav

NES Member
My wife and I were walking our dog last night when we were attacked by another dog. We usually walk to one of two conservation trails in the area, both within a mile of our house. On this particular evening, we were walking back from the trail on a public road (no sidewalks). We hear barking and my wife tells me to get ready as she sees a large German Shepard bearing down on us. The Shepard is obviously not under the verbal or physical control of it's owner and comes running out into the road where we are walking and immediately attacks our dog, a fixed female Pit Bull mix.

I had our dog on a leash and tried to restrain her as she is very aggressive at other aggressive dogs and was prepared to fight. Unfortunately this put my dog at a severe disadvantage as it limited her mobility. My wife tried to get between them to keep the Shepard at bay as did I, trying to keep our dog behind me. Of course the Shepard, being likely 100lb of muscle and teeth, had no problem getting close and managed to get a few bites in on our dog before she could respond. I shouted, lunged, and kicked at the other dog, which seemed to keep the fight from getting too bad.

While this is happening, one of the owners, the wife comes running out and is trying to restrain her dog, but isn't really successful. Then the husband shows up, sees me kicking at his dog and immediately shouts at me and prepares to throw down (hand cocked to throw a haymaker), which meant I now I had to take my eyes and attention off the German Shepard and get into a defensive stance in case this guy engages me. My wife is shouting at them to get control of their dog while he continues to circle to re-engage us.

Overall, a complete clusterfck. They finally managed to get control of their dog. We continued on to finish our walk. The wife was very apologetic and during the whole thing tried her best to get control of the dog. The husband was obviously not thinking straight, but apologized after. He was triggered by my kicking his dog, and at one point yelled at us because we had a pit bull... had zero understanding of what happened and that his dog initiated the attack in a public space while loose. Not to mention ignoring the fact that his male German Shepard was much bigger/heavier than our dog and obviously the aggressor.

We checked our dog at home. She was fine except for a 3 small puncture wounds, one on the face, and one on each rear leg. They bled for a bit, but eventually stopped. It didn't look like they needed stitches.

No one was hurt beside some superficial wounds on our dog (she never made a sound and managed to defend herself as she's a tough dog). No one died or went to jail, and I think we did about the best we could in that situation. Afterwards, I told my wife that I probably should have handed the leash off to her in order to be able to more successfully engage the German Shepard and later, the owner when he became aggressive (didn't expect that). I wasn't carrying concealed at the time, but had I been, I told her I would have shot the dog as soon as it engaged us. That dog could have easily killed her, killed our dog and was very much a threat to me. That would have opened a crap show of legal issues (this is MA so...). I would have been certainly within rights on a public road to defend my family against an aggressive and dangerous threat. There is no running away from a dog, so I don't think duty to retreat would be an issue.

Besides this dog, there are some other very aggressive German Shepherds in the area. From this point forward, I'm carrying when I'm walking. I was in gym shorts and a tshirt and didn't feel like carrying as we've never had an issue before. Obvious mistake on my part and we got lucky. Just goes to show how fast things can turn to crap when you least expect it.

WWYD?

As an aside, WTF is with crappy dog owners who don't leash their dog and have zero control over them? I can't count how many times I see dogs off leash on our walks, in our neighborhood running loose, etc. All of this would have been avoided had these owners kept their dog within a fence or on a leash/run.

Glad nobody was seriously hurt.

From this point forward, I'm carrying when I'm walking. I was in gym shorts and a tshirt and didn't feel like carrying as we've never had an issue before. Obvious mistake on my part and we got lucky. Just goes to show how fast things can turn to crap when you least expect it.

Whenever I went into the woods with my dog I brought OC spray for precisely this situation. I also always carry a gun and if I didn't have the OC spray I wouldn't hesitate to shoot an aggressive dog charging at me.

Speaking of which, we were walking through the woods one time when three guys showed up with two GSDs off leash. My wife and I took our pittie off the trail, as we always did to avoid any confrontation with other dogs. As they passed by the dogs seemed curious about us but so did the three men, who were giving us the stink eye. That's when I began to question carrying a five shot revolver and eventually upgraded to a P365 as my pocket gun. Just something to consider.

From this point forward, I'm carrying when I'm walking. I was in gym shorts and a tshirt and didn't feel like carrying as we've never had an issue before. Obvious mistake on my part and we got lucky. Just goes to show how fast things can turn to crap when you least expect it.

Glad you recognize this was a mistake. You never know when you'll need it. I've seen a German Shepard turn from a dog on dog attack to a dog on human attack. Those dogs can be vicious and they can rip you apart very easily. Getting between dogs can be a big mistake as you can easily be bitten and mauled, but I get you wanting to protect your dog.

Obviously the owner of the Shepard didn't care about the leash law even though they knew their dog was aggressive. Big mistake on their side as it leaves them wide open to lawsuits up to an arrest if the dog does enough damage. Nobody wants to shoot a dog, but if you have no choice, you have no choice! In my case the Shepard ripped it's owners hand apart as she tried to pull her dog away from my Lab. She said it was my dog that did it and sued us. The Chief came to the scene and looked at my dog and deliberately put his hand into my dogs mouth and he just licked the Chief. Chief then came towards the Shepard and it went ballistic and barely could be contained. Chief was a witness at our lawsuit and overall we won and her dog was forced to be put down. It was a huge expense and a PITA. I know this will sound cruel, but someone should have put that dog down a long time before my incident.

Will pepper spray work against an aggressive dog? I only ask as I have zero experience with pepper spray. About the closest I've come to that was in basic training when they have you take your mask off in the middle of the CS gas chamber.

Sorry to hear, where I live it's very rare to see a dog no leashed, but it's a city. Once in a while there will be one just walking with it's owner, but usually a very old dog that can barely keep up. Glad your dog didn't get any permanent damage, and hope you at least got their info to make sure their dog had it's shots, etc.

Like SF2125 said, I'd be inclined to carry some kind of pepper. I'd really hate to have to shoot a dog, not to mention the shitshow that it would bring as you mentioned.

If you have local animal control, it may be worth contacting them.. You never know, this dog may have previous complaints as well.

Makes you wonder, if the dog is prone to act like this, why would they keep it off leash. Maybe it just had a bad day, who knows.

I was in a similar situation last summer. My dog ended up at the vet and it was almost $600 to clean and stitch her ear. To this day she is missing a piece of her ear they had to cut off. I now carry a can of mace and of course my EDC when I walk my dog. I would not hesitate at all to spray the other dog and then if that was unsuccessful put a few rounds in the dog.

I would be in my underwear and still carry. Not everyone is built like me however it takes that one time of being complacent that one time. Worse case just carry a pepper spray as mentioned small one and easy to carry. I run miles with shorts and my g19 so I am always carrying and don’t even know it’s there.

I've seen a German Shepard turn from a dog on dog attack to a dog on human attack.
That's exactly the thing, how can you tell if the dog is charging you or your dog? If you know it's going for your dog you'll actually be in hot water for shooting it because your dog is considered property. But shooting because you believe the aggressive dog is charging at YOU and is about to attack and maul YOU is fair game. This isn't some legal loophole, it's the simple reality that you don't know if it's you or your dog that's about to be attacked.

Dangerous dog is a dangerous dog. Could be a kid next time or a dog that cant defend itself.
File a report. If enough get filed the dogs a goner. If its a one off he'll live to see another day.
Get photos of the wounds, visit the vet if needed and sue them for the cost.

That's exactly the thing, how can you tell if the dog is charging you or your dog? If you know it's going for your dog you'll actually be in hot water for shooting it because your dog is considered property. But shooting because you believe the aggressive dog is charging at YOU and is about to attack and maul YOU is fair game. This isn't some legal loophole, it's the simple reality that you don't know if it's you or your dog that's about to be attacked.
Not to poke fun, but all I could think of afterwards was this...

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GaazFYTrQ_A

Dangerous dog is a dangerous dog. Could be a kid next time or a dog that cant defend itself.
File a report. If enough get filed the dogs a goner. If its a one off he'll live to see another day.
Get photos of the wounds, visit the vet if needed and sue them for the cost.
This is the real concerning part for me. My wife and my 16yo son often walk the dog past that house alone. That dog could attack either one and 110lb 5'3" woman isn't going to do so well against a 100lb German Shepard. My son is 5'10", but only about 150lb and not particularly worldly. This is my real fear...

This is the real concerning part for me. My wife and my 16yo son often walk the dog past that house alone. That dog could attack either one and 110lb 5'3" woman isn't going to do so well against a 100lb German Shepard. My son is 5'10", but only about 150lb and not particularly worldly. This is my real fear...
Folding knife evens things a bit

I told her I would have shot the dog as soon as it engaged us. That dog could have easily killed her, killed our dog and was very much a threat to me. That would have opened a crap show of legal issues (this is MA so...). I would have been certainly within rights on a public road to defend my family against an aggressive and dangerous threat. There is no running away from a dog, so I don't think duty to retreat would be an issue.
You would be on much stronger legal ground if you have a pet chicken to walk with your dog.

Sounds like a job for pepper spray.

I carry a stout hickory cane when I hike. When approached by a hiker with an off-leash dog running ahead, I simply smile and step to the side of the trail and raise the cane to rest over my right shoulder, like I’m making way for them to pass. It’s an ambiguous position that most dogs see as a stick poised to strike and stop. Some owners may suspect I was getting ready to whack their dog but the move is ambiguous enough that most probably don’t.

With another dog present, that likely doesn’t work often, if ever. I was going up a trail with a couple and their small dog on a leash when another two women were coming down with an larger unleashed dog, that snarled and ran at the little dog. I whacked the bigger dog on the back just as it went to bite big the little dog. It retreated and the women were all shouting their were calling the police when they got down to their car. We called the police immediately and said we wanted a complaint issued to forestall any call they might make. Later, the police said they found no 2nd car at the trailhead and couldn’t ID them otherwise.

But yes, a stream pepper spray sounds like a good idea before going to gun. It might be a he said/she said thing with civil liability to consider and loss of LTC for you MA-fold (I’m NH). I’m not a dog owner so have no skin in that game.

Will pepper spray work against an aggressive dog? I only ask as I have zero experience with pepper spray. About the closest I've come to that was in basic training when they have you take your mask off in the middle of the CS gas chamber.
Works against bears so, I’m thinking yeah

I saw a video of a pitbull attacking a golden retriever in a crowded market in some foreign country. A policeman peppersprayed the pit and it didn't even pause for a second. Can't find the video now.

Folding knife evens things a bit
Hear me out for a second. One hand trying to control our dog/leash. So, I have to deploy a folding knife from it's sheath with one hand. I normally carry a Leatherman, but there is no way I'm deploying that knife with one hand while under pressure. Is this doable? I hate to say, but drawing a pistol one handed is no problem. Shooting point blank is also not an issue. Personally, I'd rather be point blanc if I have to shoot as it becomes much more obvious of the danger.

Again, this is all sort of arm chair quarterbacking on my part after the fact...

I'd probably use a foot or mace before I shoot it. At least I like to think so. The wife usually walks the dog on our street only and there's one fenced in Golden and two Chihauaha's, not much to be afraid of.

Back
Top Bottom