• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Dog attack - How would you handle?

Choke holds work on dogs as well as shitty dog owners.

Sure. In this particular case, I'm not sure that would have been smart given that meant I would have been completely vulnerable to the owner who was in fight mode as I'm wrestling his dog into a choke hold and trying not to have my face bit off. Understand, I wasn't expecting the owner to go crazy and try and engage me. If he was armed, gun or knife, this could have gone sideways even faster. It's something I'm still rolling around in my head...

Will pepper spray work against an aggressive dog? I only ask as I have zero experience with pepper spray. About the closest I've come to that was in basic training when they have you take your mask off in the middle of the CS gas chamber.
I've used OC many times on dogs while riding bicycles, I live in a rural area where dog owners don't seem to think leash laws exist. It's always worked to deter them, including on a big GSD. I carry the regular Mk3 size Sabre Red law enforcement/flip top spray. I like the stream because you get way less blowback and it has a longer range. I've only ever drawn a handgun once on a dog that didn't seem completely deterred by the OC, dismounted my bike and kept the bike between me and the dog, but after a few seconds it must have kicked in and the dog started coughing and ran off. I used to have a 100+ lb german wirehair that was a brutal hunter and he tangled with a few aggressive dogs over the years, I learned real quick to just drop the leash and let him do his thing, wasn't pretty but the only time he ever got bit was when I tried to hold him back.

Last edited:
So far, sounds like the consensus is pepper spray and a folding knife. Might want a stout walking stick as well. Last, concealed carry for when sh!t goes sideways and nothing else works. It could just be I'm being paranoid, but the German Shepards around here aren't friendly and they are big. I've always loved the breed, but having to view them as potential adversaries, and especially thinking of my wife or son having to square off against it, has me worried.

I'll also add, there is one house that has two very large German Shepards. This encounter was with one and three adults in the mix. If two large, aggressive dogs attacked my wife or kid alone, I don't have a whole lot of confidence in their survival without something to even the odds.

I carry an old ski pole as a hiking stick, even though I've got a good pair of those. The ski pole, minus the basket, looks innocent, but it has a sharp carbide tip that can inflict anything from sharp pain to shish kebab run-through wounds. One time a charging mutt slammed on the brakes when I threatened him with the stick. Dogs understand sticks can hurt. Nothing against chemical sprays, and if the situation goes totally fubar it's probably time to open fire, but that will come with a ton of legal repercussions even if you're 100% in the right.
I know it's not recommended to reach into a dog fight, but one time I did it because I couldn't watch a good dog get its throat torn out. I grabbed the aggressor's collar behind its head and twisted hard until it gave up. Funny thing was that the victim, a beautiful black female shepherd, had never been very friendly with me prior to the fight. Afterwards she was my BFF, ran to snuggle with me every time we met, even years later. They remember stuff.

Hear me out for a second. One hand trying to control our dog/leash. So, I have to deploy a folding knife from it's sheath with one hand. I normally carry a Leatherman, but there is no way I'm deploying that knife with one hand while under pressure. Is this doable? I hate to say, but drawing a pistol one handed is no problem. Shooting point blank is also not an issue. Personally, I'd rather be point blanc if I have to shoot as it becomes much more obvious of the danger.

Again, this is all sort of arm chair quarterbacking on my part after the fact...
I can get my blade out one handed but its just a folder... i think a knife would be far less dangerous to bystanders than a gun

You got your dog jerking half your body around and your trying to aim and shoot one handed

My pooch will be 75ish pounds and hes a strong mofo

Admittedly i carry a gun for walks too but i defaulted to my knife when i came across a great dane

So far, sounds like the consensus is pepper spray and a folding knife. Might want a stout walking stick as well. Last, concealed carry for when sh!t goes sideways and nothing else works. It could just be I'm being paranoid, but the German Shepards around here aren't friendly and they are big. I've always loved the breed, but having to view them as potential adversaries, and especially thinking of my wife or son having to square off against it, has me worried.

I'll also add, there is one house that has two very large German Shepards. This encounter was with one and three adults in the mix. If two large, aggressive dogs attacked my wife or kid alone, I don't have a whole lot of confidence in their survival without something to even the odds.
Dogs aren't as self aware of injuries like a human, they won't really respond to stab wounds unless you sever the spinal cord or completely bleed them out. They fight right through it until they drop because they have no blood pressure, just fyi. Be prepared for a mess.

I would say it would be a bad idea to shoot a dog attacking another dog. A dog is “property” and shooting to defend property is at minimum $$$$$$ to defend probably worse

I keep a can of pepper stray on my bikes. Sabre I think is the brand. Small

Last edited:
1) Check out Brazo's walking sticks
2) pepper or OC spray
3) G19 or your favorite concealed pistol.

Another vote for pepper spray, it works. Or bear spray which is essentially the same but comes in a larger canister and can shoot out to 30 feet. You don't even necessarily need to spray the dog right away either, if you spray a spot on the ground between you and the dog it'll cause the dog discomfort and it'll probably leave you alone.

I would say it would be a bad idea to shoot a dog attacking another dog. A dog is “property” and shooting to defend property is at minimum $$$$$$ to defend probably worse

Another vote for pepper spray, it works. Or bear spray which is essentially the same but comes in a larger canister and can shoot out to 30 feet. You don't even necessarily need to spray the dog right away either, if you spray a spot on the ground between you and the dog it'll cause the dog discomfort and it'll probably leave you alone.
Good point!

Pulling a gun out very rarely works well in such a situation, but I would carry a big ass can of bear spray and give your wife CS Pepper spray for her own protection.

Glad you recognize this was a mistake. You never know when you'll need it. I've seen a German Shepard turn from a dog on dog attack to a dog on human attack. Those dogs can be vicious and they can rip you apart very easily. Getting between dogs can be a big mistake as you can easily be bitten and mauled, but I get you wanting to protect your dog.

Obviously the owner of the Shepard didn't care about the leash law even though they knew their dog was aggressive. Big mistake on their side as it leaves them wide open to lawsuits up to an arrest if the dog does enough damage. Nobody wants to shoot a dog, but if you have no choice, you have no choice! In my case the Shepard ripped it's owners hand apart as she tried to pull her dog away from my Lab. She said it was my dog that did it and sued us. The Chief came to the scene and looked at my dog and deliberately put his hand into my dogs mouth and he just licked the Chief. Chief then came towards the Shepard and it went ballistic and barely could be contained. Chief was a witness at our lawsuit and overall we won and her dog was forced to be put down. It was a huge expense and a PITA. I know this will sound cruel, but someone should have put that dog down a long time before my incident.

German Shepherds are herding dogs, they protect their charges. Sometimes their bite is a herding nip to their owners leg when they're in a fight w/ another dog - they're protecting their owner. Happened to my ex w/ our German Shepherd, she was trying to break up a fight he nipped her in the leg, 3 small puncture wounds.

I think you're missing the point. This wasn't just about a dog on dog attack. My 110lb wife was actively involved trying to get the 100lb aggressive male German Shepard away/off our dog. Her life was in danger and at any point that dog could have gone directly after her. It did go after me as I was lunging and kicking at it. I'd rather be judged by 12 than carried by 6 and god forbid it's my wife or kid, even in this state. My dog was within 18" of me on the leash with the opposing dog going for her throat and legs. I'll tell any DA to EABOD if they think me or my wife isn't in danger at that point.

Will pepper spray work against an aggressive dog? I only ask as I have zero experience with pepper spray. About the closest I've come to that was in basic training when they have you take your mask off in the middle of the CS gas chamber.

Pepper spray works but like with everything else there are exceptional cases where it doesn't - that doesn't mean don't carry it or that it's ineffective. I'd suggest buying a small can and going outside somewhere and spraying a tree or other object, and then see how close you can get it it before it affects you. I have never been sprayed in the face, took a hit to the shoulder once that did me in. Also sprayed it in a closed room and we had to leave the room it was so bad. Both times we were a bunch of knuckleheads playing around. A direct hit is pretty deblitating.

Dogs have a sense of smell many times stronger than that of humans so I'm guessing they'll pick it up a lot sooner that we will if it's not a direct hit. That's why I'd spray the ground in front of me first, if I have the time/space. Same if I was worried about a bear/wolf/large cat encounter - if I'm backing away and it's stalking/following I'd spray the ground as it probably won't want to walk through that area.

This may not help much, but here is my only experience. (I don't own a dog.)

Several years ago, I was at a friend's house, fixing a generator. His wife came out, reported that she had heard that some dog had bitten a child up the street, and went thataway for a look see. I went back to the generator.

A few minutes later, I noticed a dog strolling slowly down the street. The dog matched the description of the offender, and was walking toward my friend's house. At the foot of my friend's driveway, the dog turned 90°to face me, and stopped. No growling or teeth showing, just looking.

I drew my pistol and aimed at the dog. I am convinced that the dog recognized what a Sig Sauer was, for it turned back 90° and continued strolling down the street. I reholstered.

Had the dog taken one step in my direction I would be telling a different story.

This may not help much, but here is my only experience. (I don't own a dog.)

Several years ago, I was at a friend's house, fixing a generator. His wife came out, reported that she had heard that some dog had bitten a child up the street, and went thataway for a look see. I went back to the generator.

A few minutes later, I noticed a dog strolling slowly down the street. The dog matched the description of the offender, and was walking toward my friend's house. At the foot of my friend's driveway, the dog turned 90°to face me, and stopped. No growling or teeth showing, just looking.

I drew my pistol and aimed at the dog. I am convinced that the dog recognized what a Sig Sauer was, for it turned back 90° and continued strolling down the street. I reholstered.

Had the dog taken one step in my direction I would be telling a different story.
Sounds like you have a future working for the ATF.

I'd probably use a foot or mace before I shoot it. At least I like to think so. The wife usually walks the dog on our street only and there's one fenced in Golden and two Chihauaha's, not much to be afraid of.
Sounds like my street. I have a fenced in golden retriever. Rest of the dogs in the street are just ankle biters.

The op’s situation turned out as well as could be expected.

If I had to guess and the op was carrying and shot the GS he’d be posting this story from a lock up.

Aside from that let your part pitbull go and take bets on which dog wins/lives/survives.

i'd like to hear from the other pet owner. there's never a guilty man in prison is what they say.

Do not block the initial interaction with the dogs. That's a great way to get bit. If you have a sizable dog that can handle itself, let the interaction play out. If the other dog is truly aggressive and not just trying to assert dominance (which can look and sound very violent when it really isn't), you'll have a better shot to kick it in the ribs when it isn't focused on you. Don't hold the leash back on your dog if the other is unleashed and intent on showing who is boss. You are limiting your dog's ability to dance.

I would go for a stout walking stick given you have had a problem now. Maybe some mace as backup. Knifes sound like really bad idea when you stab the dog and it rips your wrist open.

I've seen multiple dog bites from the K-9 officers in jail, GSD ( @Greg ) will rip skin off like it's pop top container or deep puncture wounds, either way your not winning
Like I said, I've always loved the breed. My grandfather used to breed them. We're dog people. Always had dogs, usually rescues. Last thing I want is to kill or hurt a dog. Having said that, GSD's, especially large males, are nothing to take lightly. I'm now super aware of them around us... if I had to guess, this is how moonbats view gun owners in their neighborhoods when they find out you have guns.

Sounds like my street. I have a fenced in golden retriever. Rest of the dogs in the street are just ankle biters.

The op’s situation turned out as well as could be expected.

If I had to guess and the op was carrying and shot the GS he’d be posting this story from a lock up.

Aside from that let your part pitbull go and take bets on which dog wins/lives/survives.
Agree, dogs usually figure it out on their own without any real damage, even though it may look and sound very nasty.

i'd like to hear from the other pet owner. there's never a guilty man in prison is what they say.

Yeah, completely their fault, at every level. We're walking on a public street with a leashed dog. Their dog comes charging out onto the street from behind their house (easily 75 yards away) with no leash, no collar even and immediately attacks our dog. The husband's first reaction once he finally showed up (probably a good two+ minutes from the start of the encounter) was to approach me aggressively with his right hand cocked back to swing at me yelling at me to stop kicking his dog. Meanwhile, his wife is running around trying to get control of their dog (still attacking us mind you), my wife is yelling at him to get control of his dog while actively trying to keep the other dog away, and I'm still holding the leash and keeping my dog close while she tries to defend herself and I try to get their dog off mine, at which point he snaps and lunges at me.

Zero legal or moral ground to stand on. Completely avoidable had they kept physical control of their dog. The icing on the cake is that the wife even mentioned at the end that this is the 2nd time their dog has done this... WTF.

Last edited:
Do not block the initial interaction with the dogs. That's a great way to get bit. If you have a sizable dog that can handle itself, let the interaction play out. If the other dog is truly aggressive and not just trying to assert dominance (which can look and sound very violent when it really isn't), you'll have a better shot to kick it in the ribs when it isn't focused on you. Don't hold the leash back on your dog if the other is unleashed and intent on showing who is boss. You are limiting your dog's ability to dance.

I would go for a stout walking stick given you have had a problem now. Maybe some mace as backup. Knifes sound like really bad idea when you stab the dog and it rips your wrist open.
I agree with this - my dog is 60lbs, extremely fast and strong (and usually the sweetest thing ever!). She can handle herself just fine so I'd drop the leash and then, if it was obviously necessary, kick the other dog into next week while it was otherwise occupied.

And, if that didn't work and I turned into the next target - a Glock is a great equalizer. ;-) I would never get close enough to try and engage a knife - dogs are lightning fast.

I like dogs but I am getting real tired of their esteemed status in society today. At the end of the day a dog is a dog, not a "grand-dog" or a "fur baby". Is anybody else fed up with seeing dogs at restaurants, inside stores, etc.? Every other time I am hiking in the woods with my kids I need to scoop up my two year old and hold my four year old to the side of the trail when a stupid dog comes running up to us. Of course the owner always shouts "It's ok he's friendly!" Usually it's fine but one of these times he isn't going to be friendly.

Back
Top Bottom