Does this qualify as milsurp?

Well after waiting 7 months my build is finally done let me know what you think. By the way its also alot of fun to shoot.

DSC_0716.jpg

DSC_0715.jpg

DSC_0714.jpg

Also a quick pic of the Romanian SKS that I picked up at Cabelas during their October sale.

DSC_0717.jpg

I got the chance to shoot a full-auto RPD many years ago - I really like those things! Yours looks really nice. I must confess I am quite jealous.

I got the chance to shoot a full-auto RPD many years ago - I really like those things! Yours looks really nice. I must confess I am quite jealous.

Same here.

The Romi is nice too. You can still find the leather 2 piece slings for them here and there.

Milsurp is a general term meaning any weapon that served with a military and is not longer widely issued and is therefore surplus. It is not however, C&R, which has a more specific meaning. Nice looking gun.. it looks like a lot of fun to shoot.

Did you by any chance document the build with pics along the way? Something like that would be a great read in the build it yourself section here.

sweet, im always surprised at the types of older guns that show up at cabela's(romanian sks). figured them more like bass pro.....OMG an assault gun.
Very cool. I ponder over these kits I see.

Thanks for the kind words. The kits are worth it, I bought two about a year ago and since then they have only go up in price. Sadly I dont have the skills to build it this one was a pirate build.

I'm more concerned about the 100rd drum...

I'd pay you $10k if you could find me a RPD drum that was made after 1991. I am impatiently waiting.

Very nice build, Matt. Did you source the receiver from somewhere or re-weld the stubs? This is my dream build, but I am too much of a chicken shit to bite the bullet. Was turbothis involved with this build? I just got a Izzy Type 3 back from him a few weeks ago...

I'd pay you $10k if you could find me a RPD drum that was made after 1991. I am impatiently waiting.

Very nice build, Matt. Did you source the receiver from somewhere or re-weld the stubs? This is my dream build, but I am too much of a chicken shit to bite the bullet. Was turbothis involved with this build? I just got a Izzy Type 3 back from him a few weeks ago...

Sorry I haven't replied to this thread recently but for some reason my internet crashes every time I try to log into the site. It was a Projectguns build so I didn't have anything to do with it. How do you like your turbothis reweld? I have a m64 that I have been waiting to get back since May and I also have another m64 kit that I'm going to attempt to reweld myself.

Its not the drum I would be worried about in Mass its the belt, but if someone was worried about the capacity couldn't they just be cut into 10 round sections? Now that one of the larger shops on the internet has SG43's back in stock I think I might sell a few things off to pick up one of those as well.

very cool. You will have to be sure to share how your re-weld goes with the m64. I sent my type 3 to him back in May, also, and pestered him a bit in order to get it back "as soon" as I did. He does good work but he sure takes his time.

I took the reweld out for the first time last weekend. Functioned good, but had 2 failures to eject. One was from the brass on a round tearing off from the extractor and one I didn't know what happened- hopefully it wasn't due to a short ejector. 2 problems out of a hundred or so rounds didn't worry me much.

It's very accurate.

So lately I've been spending a lot of time looking at spend all my money on belt feds' -and the RPD is the latest thing to catch my eye.

My major question(s) - are around the drum and belt. Looking around quite a few places and nobody will sell the drum or belt into MA - but I also can't seem to find any info on whether or not the belts and drums are "pre-ban".

From what I've been able to figure out for the 1919a4 I built - as long as the drum and belt is pre-ban - it's legal and good to go. Seems like a lot of the places selling this stuff just apply the full retard factor and will not sell into MA just because.

Flintoid - are you sure that an RPD drum and belt are definitely going to be "pre ban"??

Flintoid - are you sure that an RPD drum and belt are definitely going to be "pre ban"??

I couldn't tell you how a court would interpret it. But if I was hired as an expert on the matter to talk about it in court, I'd point to the fact that it's widely known that the Soviets stopped making them in the 1960's. We're talking about a machine gun that was designed in World War II and retired because of the Kalashnikov pattern rifle- namely, the RPK variants.

No warsaw pact country kept making that shit as soon as the tools wore out. And I would wager that happened in the 60's or 70's. They're old. Extremely safely so as far as pre-ban and the combloc magazine goes. Much like a waffle aluminum AK mag, anything made in east germany, or soviet bakelite.

Last edited:
I couldn't tell you how a court would interpret it. But if I was hired as an expert on the matter to talk about it in court, I'd point to the fact that it's widely known that the Soviets stopped making them in the 1960's. We're talking about a machine gun that was designed in World War II and retired because of the Kalashnikov pattern rifle- namely, the RPK variants.

No warsaw pact country kept making that shit as soon as the tools wore out. And I would wager that happened in the 60's or 70's. They're old. Extremely safely so as far as pre-ban and the combloc magazine goes. Much like a waffle aluminum AK mag, anything made in east germany, or soviet bakelite.

That's the kind of info I was looking for. Looking around - it appears that most if not all of the kits that are available are Polish. I was looking on Gunbroker though - and there were a number of drums and belts that said they were Russian. I'm figuring as long as I have some sort of historical documentation saying these things were ceased manufacture in Russia in the 60's - then it's pretty much a sure thing a Russian drum or belt is "pre-ban".

The fact that nobody will sell one into MA - is because of legal paranoia - and a separate issue.

I have absolutely no clue why would anyone want an RPD, unless it's for historical/cool value.

a. if you want 70rd light mg, get an AK with pre-ban drum mag

b. if you want "a" with heavy barrel and bipod, get an RPK with pre-ban, hi cap drum mag

c. if you want large cal, get a PKM

I have absolutely no clue why would anyone want an RPD, unless it's for historical/cool value.

b. if you want "a" with heavy barrel and bipod, get an RPK with pre-ban, hi cap drum mag

Hmm - maybe I'll have to get one of those too.

and they will eventually disappear. That's another huge reason why.

Exactly.

Sooner or later (probably sooner) - the kits will be gone.

Like the MG34 kits
Like cheap SKS's
Like the 1919a4 kits are doing right now
Like cheap CMP Garands
Like the FAL kits
etc.
etc.

they won't disappear, they will just cost considerably more. The trick is to buy the right kits so then you can trade them for other expensive kits. With the price of some kits, I honestly think those bits of metal cost as much as their weight in silver.

they won't disappear, they will just cost considerably more. The trick is to buy the right kits so then you can trade them for other expensive kits. With the price of some kits, I honestly think those bits of metal cost as much as their weight in silver.

Actually I think sooner or later - they will disapper. Go try and find an MG34 kit now. They are still out there - but very rare. The 1919a4 kits have tripled in price over the last five years or so - and there really aren't that many left from what I can see.

If you're talking about a " Hey I just scored an RPD kit on Gunbroker - and it was only $5k" type of situation, then yeah - they won't completely 'disappear'. But for all practical purposes and affordability - they will disappear.

no, I totally get it. MG34s are all gone so are actual German MG42s and PKMs. People hoard them, then sell them at crazy prices. I saw some kits go up in price just in the last 6mo.

The real equation on kit pricing is availability of parts (commodity guns) and ease of building. Suomis are dirt cheap and they will be because building a semi auto versions is basically rebuilding the whole gun.

It sounds like we need to put together a "mutual gun fund" and start investing in kits. ... yep, I'm totally serial.

no, I totally get it. MG34s are all gone so are actual German MG42s and PKMs. People hoard them, then sell them at crazy prices. I saw some kits go up in price just in the last 6mo.

The real equation on kit pricing is availability of parts (commodity guns) and ease of building. Suomis are dirt cheap and they will be because building a semi auto versions is basically rebuilding the whole gun.

It sounds like we need to put together a "mutual gun fund" and start investing in kits. ... yep, I'm totally serial.

You only do things one at a time?

I had mine made because I wanted something different and something that was ridiculously fun to shoot. I love the historical significance of it even if it is just a heavy semi auto. If your ever around RI and want to stop by and shoot it hit me up.

Actually I think sooner or later - they will disapper. Go try and find an MG34 kit now. They are still out there - but very rare.

I just sold the last one I had about a month ago.

I had 7

ETA: Nevermind. I had MP34's, not MG34's. Actually I did have one MG34 but I sold that over a year ago.

Back
Top Bottom