Does the sale of a shotgun require an FA-10?

While this is all well and good...... I wouldnt sell anything to anyone without taking a drivers license copy and filing it with the type of gun I sold and the serial number.

Just a standard CYA thing for me because if the seller is in a free state, and the seller is the one that bought it from the FFL, the sellers name is last on the list if said firearm shows up at a crime scene. Now I know they don't keep a list of FFL transactions...... [rofl]

Leaving the feds at the door and giving them a copy of what was sold to whom, and being able to tell them to move on to the next guy is fairly important to me.

Flame me if you like....I could care less but the ONLY side effect of FA-10 in MA is transfer of ownership is recorded, which helps the seller if something goes bad with the firearm that was sold.

Ill be very clear that I don't agree with licensing or the MA scheme of mandatory transfers and registration.
You are way too paranoid and have been living in MA for too long.

I am sure that is how it work.
Well, when they taught us breaching skills at Quantico back in the day, they were pretty clear that the guy with the shotgun blew out the lock, and then got out of the way quickly, so that three guys with M4's could enter. And we were using 870's.
It doesn't matter which side of the door you are on. We were taught our best bet it to be able to lay down a lot of fire, as quickly as possible.
I know it is unlikely that I will ever be in that situation, but if I was, limiting myself to two rounds would not make me comfortable.
You would have a much greater chance of prevailing if you grabbed your AR or even a semi auto pistol. Even a pump gun has the disadvantage of time to cycle a round.

I guess I don't have enough confidence in myself to be comfortable defending against an attack with just two rounds, even if they are 12ga. If you do, I shouldn't criticize.

Last weekend I bought a gun and we did it on the tailgate of my truck.
Seller filled out the eFA-10 on his cell phone in 7 minutes. I was impressed.
Last year I bought from a member and it was exactly the same, we met at Bass Pro, pulled up an EF10 and BOOM, transaction is done.

Well, when they taught us breaching skills at Quantico back in the day, they were pretty clear that the guy with the shotgun blew out the lock, and then got out of the way quickly, so that three guys with M4's could enter. And we were using 870's.
It doesn't matter which side of the door you are on. We were taught our best bet it to be able to lay down a lot of fire, as quickly as possible.
I know it is unlikely that I will ever be in that situation, but if I was, limiting myself to two rounds would not make me comfortable.
You would have a much greater chance of prevailing if you grabbed your AR or even a semi auto pistol. Even a pump gun has the disadvantage of time to cycle a round.

I guess I don't have enough confidence in myself to be comfortable defending against an attack with just two rounds, even if they are 12ga. If you do, Ishouldn'

criticize.

So the third guy at the door is the proud new owner of a short barreled over and under shotgun?
In the unserious hypothetical I cited, I am answering the door in the apocalypse. If I expected a firefight I wouldn't answer the door, and I would choose a different weapon for a firefight. But it's still the apocalypse so I'm gonna have something in my hands. And I suppose I wouldn't answer the door to more than one person in the apocalypse. One person, 5 feet distance, i'm picking the short double barrels every time.

The last time anyone used a double barrel shotgun to breach a door was in the 1968 Richard Widmark movie "Madigan." Kind of a prelude to "Dirty Harry." Same director.

I guess I don't have enough confidence in myself to be comfortable defending against an attack with just two rounds, even if they are 12ga. If you do, I shouldn't criticize.

I sold so many pistols and rifles in my youth and never once wrote down a name of who bought it, they had a PRL, or NH DL for long guns. I followed the law.
Exactly.

I would love for someone to show a case when someone sold a gun to someone else that eventually used it in a crime and the original seller got in trouble.

Not some dude that sold a stolen gun, or arranged to sell to some undercover cop acting as a gang member ... but an average Joe selling a rifle/shotgun to a guy they never met but is old enough to own one.

In the unserious hypothetical I cited, I am answering the door in the apocalypse. If I expected a firefight I wouldn't answer the door, and I would choose a different weapon for a firefight. But it's still the apocalypse so I'm gonna have something in my hands. And I suppose I wouldn't answer the door to more than one person in the apocalypse. One person, 5 feet distance, i'm picking the short double barrels every time.
Of course, I will also have a Glock 17 or FK BRNO SDS by my side.

[rofl]
Exactly.

I would love for someone to show a case when someone sold a gun to someone else that eventually used it in a crime and the original seller got in trouble.

Not some dude that sold a stolen gun, or arranged to sell to some undercover cop acting as a gang member ... but an average Joe selling a rifle/shotgun to a guy they never met but is old enough to own one.
Im not saying the original seller would get in trouble, nor should they. I'm just saying that I'm covering my ass, and sending these people on their way should the unlikely circumstance ever happen.

And It happened to my friends father, he had the Feds come to his door.....this was back before FA-10.......he sold a pistol to someone private sale, it had been recovered from a crime scene. They said his name was last on the record of sale from the FFL. He had been smart enough to take the guys name and address, and when he sold it to him. This might have been back when they had blue cards........Anyway, he let them know who, and they said thank you and goodbye.

Whatever.......tell them to go pound sand if it makes you feel free and happy.

... I wouldnt sell anything to anyone without taking a drivers license copy and filing it with the type of gun I sold and the serial number. Just a standard CYA thing for me because if the seller is in a free state, ... Leaving the feds at the door and giving them a copy of what was sold to whom, and being able to tell them to move on to the next guy is fairly important to me.
You are way too paranoid and have been living in MA for too long.
Well, either he resides part of the time outside of Mass,
or he's gotten in the habit of making interstate FTF gun buys.
In which case having contingency plans for Feds at the door seems prudent.

Well, either he resides part of the time outside of Mass,
or he's gotten in the habit of making interstate FTF gun buys.
In which case having contingency plans for Feds at the door seems prudent.
You should learn how to read. I don't do interstate gun buys or sales.

I live in MA....so as part of FA-10 that is done, I don't have to worry about taking any information.

If I lived in a free state...I would take some information on the buyer as part of my record of where the gun went to. Again for those that think its some big deal, maybe your paranoid.

So if your a C&R FFl in a free state........what do the hero's here do with private transactions on gun buys and sales of C&R guns? Not record them in the bound book? Because its paranoid???

You should learn how to read. I don't do interstate gun buys or sales.
You only reside in Mass (which I readily accept),
but have a standard CYA for transactions with free staters,
and the problem is my reading comprehension?

I am assuming of course that the style wasn't deliberate.
You might have your ways...
CKULGVPUsAUJpgF.jpg

Yes..correct...Im in MA.

To be crystal clear.....

I do not do transactions with free staters currently or ever until such time as I move to a free state.

At that time, I will have a standard CYA, And I agree some in free staters may not like it and that is fully understood. However I also reserve the right to sell or not sell to whomever I want.

All my C&R transactions that have been inbound by me, will be recorded by outbound disposition to who and what address, which is required by federal law, even in a free state.

If a little CYA is paranoid to you guys.....so be it.

Seller filled out the eFA-10 on his cell phone in 7 minutes. I was impressed.
Sold three to the same buyer a while back. Place he wanted to meet had crappy cell reception, which of course I only found out after I got there. Took almost an hour to do all three on my phone. I was close to stopping after the second and telling him to just forget the third one.

Sold three to the same buyer a while back. Place he wanted to meet had crappy cell reception, which of course I only found out after I got there. Took almost an hour to do all three on my phone. I was close to stopping after the second and telling him to just forget the third one.
I was gonna say this belongs in the First-World Problem Horror Stories thread,
but I think we need a First-World Hellhole First-World Problem Horror Stories thread...

Back
Top Bottom