• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Does anyone else want to tear up their C&R licenes?

40 caliber

NES Member
Man! this thing has turned into a complete hole in my wallet. Like DRB just said, i always say, "this will be the last one". I mean it is a great deal, but i find my self buying more and more cause it is so easy!..

where do I sign up for addicted gun owners of America. Hello, i am 40 cal, a gun owner and i have a buying problem......

I also created a Gunbroker account. That plus a C&R is one terrible pair.!!

Pardon the rant, and yes I will renew the C&R next year.

Last edited:
A FFL3 in MA is almost not worth the effort as the State does not recognize it. All transactions are processed by the state through my LTC, not my C&R.

MS

A FFL3 in MA is almost not worth the effort as the State does not recognize it. All transactions are processed by the state through my LTC, not my C&R.

MS

You still get substantial benefits from an 03 as a collector....

-You can get C&R handguns anywhere, in person, from anyone selling them.
-You can sell/trade to another C&R holder, anywhere
-You can get C&R guns shipped to you direct, long as the seller isn't brain dead
-You get dealer discounts from a number of vendors.

There are more bennies but you probably already know them. The only reason I don't have an 03 right now is because I don't have the cash to get into that realm of guns, as it is I'm trying to hang onto the few mondern guns I have! [grin]

-Mike

You still get substantial benefits from an 03 as a collector....
There are more bennies but you probably already know them. The only reason I don't have an 03 right now is because I don't have the cash to get into that realm of guns, as it is I'm trying to hang onto the few mondern guns I have! [grin]

-Mike

Yup, there are a lot of benefits that remain, but I didn't feel like making my rant specific; just that MA does take a lot of fun out of it. One real nice benefit on a C&R piece from in-state store is that we can just sign and drive like VW; no paperwork.

MS

I have had mine for a few months now, and I haven't made a single purchase on it. The one C&R eligible gun that I bought since getting my C&R was bought in a FTF in MA.

When I first applied, there were all kinds of reasonably priced SKS's online that I had my eyes on, but by the time I got my license, the sites I was looking at were sold out. I also wanted to pick up a Nagant revolver, but then never really got motivated. Plus, my safe is getting hard to close right now.

As soon as I get a bigger safe, I'll probably have a few more Mosins and a couple more SKS's within a week. I haven't set up a gunbroker account yet. If ebay is any indicator, I would wake up every Sunday morning and wonder what guns I bought after a few drinks the night before.

MS

Can't say that I understand this. Yes, we have to fa10 after acquisition but I don't see how this lessens the 03. Lots of acquisitions that can't take place on only an LTC...

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Good thing that I applied for my collectors permit after the house was paid for...well, 4 days after that point.
Investments into the collection since would have paid for a thorough renovation, basement to roof....

MS

Can't say that I understand this. Yes, we have to fa10 after acquisition but I don't see how this lessens the 03. Lots of acquisitions that can't take place on only an LTC...

I don't understand him either. It's precisely because the state "does not recognize it" that makes it useful to obtain "non-compliant" guns that meet the Fed C&R requirements.

After the 1998 law passed, it was Chief Glidden that convinced me to get mine. As he told me, it was the only way to legally bypass the "approved handgun" bullshit requirements.

We do have a collectors AA meeting, its also includes all FFL03 purchases,
Hello my name is ___________
I have a problem
I buy EVERY C+R firearm I can get my hands on
I don't plan on apologizing to anyone
I will continue to buy as many C+R firearms as I can

As to MS comment about its really not worth having a C+R I have to disagree. Having a federal license has its perks. Just look at my gun room. Yes ROOM, not safe. 30 years of collecting you acquire some stuff you forgot you even bought.
I tell this to many folks. I spotted a pristine M27 with sling and a perfect bore. I sent the owner an email and bought it on the spot. Thinking I only had one I needed another to have a perfect example of a M27. When it arrived I went to the rack with my Finns and sitting there were two others starring at me. All in pristine condition. Oh well three is a good number.[smile]

As to MS comment about its really not worth having a C+R I have to disagree. Having a federal license has its perks.

I knew that comment was going to be misconstrued. I tried to explain my self in another post, I have found my FFL3 very useful as I renewed it last October. My frustration I guess is with the state. In discussing a FA10 with a state official, he told me MA does not recognize a FFL3 as a license. Also as many vendors will not ship to MA despite your FEDERAL license to do so.

So in short, I am not knocking the FFL3, but MA.

MS

I just bought another Mosin off GB last night.

Now of they only took Paypal then it would be dangerous.

Sent from my iPhone 4S using Tapatalk

Right now I'm at the point where I'm content with what I have in the safe. Well, that is, I've forced myself to be content for now until my project car is done so I can devote time and money to that.

When I first got my C&R license, I bought 3 C&R guns within 2 weeks. After the novelty of having a fully operable firearm shipped to my home wore off, I chilled out a little and let the FFL03 cool off.

The one thing that pisses me off is that there are plenty of Gunbroker sellers, gun show sellers etc... that will not sell a C&R eligible gun to a MA resident, even if that resident has an LTC and C&R. You really can't blame them for being "afraid" of MA laws I guess. I've tried many times to explain the way it works (selling a C&R gun to a MA resident) to sellers and not once have I convinced them the sale is completely legit on state and fed level.

Funny though, there was a guy I spoke with at the MBSC show last month that was confused about C&R/ MA laws. He started on about how he had a C&R but this seller at another table would not sell him a WWII P38. I said "Well that's not right. As long as you have a MA LTC along with your C&R there's no reason he couldn't sell it to you". He says: "What's an LTC?!". Turns out the guy was from PA and was just visiting the Cape that weekend. He couldn't understand why the C&R alone wouldn't let him purchase the P38. I tried to explain that the seller could ship the gun to him when he got back home to PA, but he wouldn't hear it. "This state is f**king stupid."

LOL. Exactly.

I usually need to ask a seller on GB if they will sell to a ffl03 in MA.

It's been 50/50

Sent from my iPhone 4S using Tapatalk

I guess I have been lucky. Every auction I have won either on GB or AA there has been no issue.
In fact I don't see many that wont. I guess as I said I have been lucky....

I've had one for a couple years and haven't bought a thing with it. Every C&R gun that I like I can't afford.

It gets me a discount at Brownells and Midway though.

It has put a dent in my wallet as well. It opened up a lot of doors for online stuff. I really cant see any down side to it. It not like it is expensive. I have purchased several guns with it and I am not done yet. The discounts from some vendors are enough to make it worth while

This thread has motivated me to pull the trigger on my first mail order gun. Now I have to buy a bigger safe before the UPS guy brings it to my house.

I decided to try out one of those Chinese Type 53 Mosin Nagant Carbines. I'm curious to see what kind of shape they are in.

This thread has motivated me to pull the trigger on my first mail order gun. Now I have to buy a bigger safe before the UPS guy brings it to my house.

I decided to try out one of those Chinese Type 53 Mosin Nagant Carbines. I'm curious to see what kind of shape they are in.

Remember Posted pics or it didn't happen!!!

Back
Top Bottom