• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Doe permit denial

Got denied my zone 8 doe permit. I was wondering if anyone else has been denied? If some people would stop shooting 3,4,5 does every year and not checking any in I wouldn't have this problem. Soon there is going to be nothing left, 3 to 4 years ago I would have deer in my yard in Douglas every other morning and night and now I haven't seen any in months. Next time I hear of someone shooting 2 or more and not checking in I would like to report them but I wonder what Mass wildlife will say? I wonder if they will want proof or something? I guess I will find out. I hear every year of people shooting tons of deer and not checking them in. I think this is stupid and I don't understand how they don't realize that they are going to ruin it them and everyone else. Selfish idiots I guess

I guess I don't have a problem with not checking in the animals but at least pull your head out of your a$$ and think about what you are doing. Be a responsible hunter. It doesn't take a rocket scientist to realize if you kill all of the moms there can be no babies and there goes the deer population. I have heard people bragging at the gun club about how there group of 6 or so hunters killed 20 deer this year also bragging about how most were does ant they didn't check any in. Ya thats great you idiots

Wondering if anyone has ever reported anyone? If so what kind of info it requires? I will be reporting anyone I see doing this the few cases I have heard and wanted to were after the season and amounted to a bar room story and while I know there was some truth behind the stories it was kind of a day late dollar short. I will be looking into exactly how to go about it and what kind of info you need to provide.

Find out where these bozos hunt and then have a quiet, friendly chat with the local Environmental officer a week before the season.
Wily Coyote is contributing to the shortage. They kill a lot of fawns, and they'll take down a grown deer, too.

You need to be able to provide encon information that will help them catch them with illegal deer in their possession. That means immediate knowlege they have shot and animal inexcess of their alloted tags and where the carcass is. Otherwise it is nothing more than hearsay.

Then again maybe your zone was over populated and now has a better balanced herd? Mass does do a great job managing the herd, better than most all other surrounding states.

If you go to the Wildlife HQ in Westboro (i think that's where it is) and you ask them if there are any tags available they can look it up on the computer and you might get lucky.

If you go to the Wildlife HQ in Westboro (i think that's where it is) and you ask them if there are any tags available they can look it up on the computer and you might get lucky.

Zone 9 "sold out" through the reapplication process Friday 8/13/10. Only zones 10,11, 13, 14 are available IIRC

I don't think I am even going to reapply I don't usually even shoot does. I haven't in about 6 years or so sense I was younger. I just enjoy sitting in the tree with my thoughts to my self. I was just very surprised having been approved every time I have applied previously. Plus my freezer is still full of moose meat from last fall.

I don't think I am even going to reapply I don't usually even shoot does. I haven't in about 6 years or so sense I was younger. I just enjoy sitting in the tree with my thoughts to my self. I was just very surprised having been approved every time I have applied previously. Plus my freezer is still full of moose meat from last fall.

YOU SUCK [smile]

why do I suck? Freezer full of moose meat? lol its soo good to I went on a great trip to New Foundland last fall. I f you were closer I would donate some steaks or something to one of my peers.

no permit for me the last three years in zone 4n

What do you expect? You travel the wrong direction to deer hunt. I used to hunt zone 4 years ago, but once I moved out of springfield into the eastern suburbs I quickly learnd how stupid that was. [smile]

What do you expect? You travel the wrong direction to deer hunt. I used to hunt zone 4 years ago, but once I moved out of springfield into the eastern suburbs I quickly learnd how stupid that was. [smile]

Got a relative with a bunch of land in Sunderland.....no such land around here. Where do you hunt?? Rice Farm??

Got a relative with a bunch of land in Sunderland.....no such land around here. Where do you hunt?? Rice Farm??

Once in a while.
My buddy just bought Rices along with the old Bennet turkey farm property that abuts it he bought several years ago. I have permission on several other private properties in town as well as a few in Hampden. 3 of the pieces are over 100 acres.

I used to hunt a lot in Warren, Brimfield, Wales and Monson (no permission needed) too and still do a bit during gun season. some good genes around there. Here is a sample buck from Wales
99buck.jpg

In Massachusetts the Doe to Buck ratio is high about 3 to 1. Ideally the ratio should be 1-1.5 to 1. Perhaps they've reached that equilibrium in zone 8. Either way, I got my permit for zone 11. win!

In Massachusetts the Doe to Buck ratio is high about 3 to 1. Ideally the ratio should be 1-1.5 to 1. Perhaps they've reached that equilibrium in zone 8. Either way, I got my permit for zone 11. win!

Mass does not manage for sex ratios. They manage for population level goals trying to match the number of animals with the carrying capacity of the land. Generally thier target is around 15 animals per square mile. Over that figure they want more does taken out to reduce the total herd. Eastern zones now are around 25-50 deer per square mile with the little amount of huntable space. South Central Mass (zones 7-9)are near population goals. Zone 4n and 4 south have been at 5-8 deer per square mile for a long time and the herd is not rebounding even with limited doe permits.

Its not a perfect system but it is the best there is in New England IMHO

Back
Top Bottom