• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

I got a moose permit!

That’s awesome zone 2 is a great zone tons of moose up there.

Are you going to DIY it or are you looking for an outfitter?

I've got us booked at Fish River Camps in Eagle Lake. I haven't decided about hiring a guide. Wayne Bennett would be the guy I go with if I did.

Last edited:
I have no idea how long I've been applying for a Maine Moose permit, but lightning finally struck. Zone 2 Bull permit, first October week.
Let the planning begin.....
Congrats! I've always wanted to go on a moose hunt. My friends in New Brunswick call them swamp donkeys and tell me the real challenge is getting a critter that big outta the woods! They have an old Toyota Land Cruiser with a heavy duty wench and 2000' of wicked strong cable.
I know tradition is to haul a moose out whole, but I would have to seriously consider bringing it out in pieces. Especially if it's warm out.
Hope it's nice and cold in October. Congrats again.

Setup with a butcher now and the MOST important question … do they skin it for you?

We found out the hard way, after we had knocked a big bull moose down up in the Kangamangus area of NH years ago. My friend shot the moose, we show up at the butcher, he says, “I don’t skin moose boys.” When asked why not, his simple reply was, “You will know why, tomorrow after you’re done …

We hung it from a telephone pole and proceeded skinning, 4 guys, with as many knives as we could gather, 2 guys always skinning, 2 guys always sharpening knives. The hide cannot be pulled off the skin …

As a sub-permitee, I got to experience a great moose hunt, but wow the skinning was indeed a chore!

Good luck!

Congrats! I've always wanted to go on a moose hunt. My friends in New Brunswick call them swamp donkeys and tell me the real challenge is getting a critter that big outta the woods! They have an old Toyota Land Cruiser with a heavy duty wench and 2000' of wicked strong cable.
I know tradition is to haul a moose out whole, but I would have to seriously consider bringing it out in pieces. Especially if it's warm out.
Hope it's nice and cold in October. Congrats again.
I've got two things going for me: an old plastic pickup bedliner (get the moose in that and you can almost drag it out by hand). And if that doesn't work, my friend is a forester for much of that woodland up there; he said he'd get together a list of everybody working with a skidder according to where we're hunting.

A member of a club I belong to drew a Maine moose permit after applying for 40 years. He got one and netted 500 pounds of moose meat. Hope you're hungry and like moose. Good luck.

One of my friends applied and got a moose tag first try !! He took two weeks off from work and bought enough food and camping shit for two week then shot a moose 10 minutes into opening day ! Pack up all that shit and get back to work ! Lol

Congratulations on the permit lottery!! Best of Luck on the hunt. Hope you have arrangements for transportation of the carcass out of the woods/swamp. They're big animals!!

Have freezers on standby, some good knives, a good bone saw or two, plenty of 6-7 mil contractor bags, a few gallons of fresh water, etc. etc.

Again, they're BIG animals and if you tag a bull @ 600-700 or larger, it's going to be a job butchering it. May your first shot be the best one.

Probably a boat crank and a length of chain ( to tie the boat crank to a tree) should be in your bag of recovery tricks. 20 $ for one at harbor freight. They move mountains ! Absolute back savers

My BIL bagged a moose a few years back, was in a tree stand hunting deer and one walked right under him and he shot it in the spine. The story of him getting it out of there is legendary and we at moose for a while afterwards.

My BIL bagged a moose a few years back, was in a tree stand hunting deer and one walked right under him and he shot it in the spine. The story of him getting it out of there is legendary and we at moose for a while afterwards.
What state? That story sounds odd to those of us who have to enter a lottery to get a moose permit; who hunts deer when they have a moose tag to fill?

Permit's, I don't need any stinking Permits! It only cost $42,000.00 in damages.

View attachment 763200
Was that you?? Lucky to be alive!
When the tractor trailers come in from up north, especially the guys that go all the way up to Newfoundland, they always have the moose catcher on the front.
I know you have seen them in your line of work.
I asked a couple of truckers that I see all of the time and am friendly with, if they ever hit one. One guy had hit three. Said it scared the shit out of him every time.

Scared the living shit out of me, it was back in 2018. I was headed back to the Communistwealth. I stayed up that night but I couldn't sleep a wink.
Moose seem to roll into the windshields of cars and pickups, then up and over. Trailer Trucks run right over them. But that F-750, it just seemed to stick to my grill until I came to a full stop and it just flopped off the front.

The moose hunt I was on, was the hunt of a lifetime! It was a > 1,000 pound bull moose, stopped dead cold right there with one shot from a Win lever action 30-30, with an aperture peer on the rear, using 180-grains round nose softpoints.

Dropped to his knees on the first shot, the Hunter took a 2nd shot ‘for insurance’ and hit it 1” from the other bullet, offhand and standing in tangled bramble bush, amazing and even more amazing … he was 75 years old! That’s why he had a young buck like me along with him for the hunt, LOL!

Moose are easy to kill, but getting them out of the woods or skinning them? … not so much …

Pretty sure 1 moose is 1/2 ton or more. So are you saying there are 2 of them in zone two. ;)

Back
Top Bottom