Do you wear a mask to the range?

BostonVI

NES Member
Shooting at an indoor range today and noticed one of the guys shooting was wearing a dust mask. Now I'm aware that a lot of indoor ranges have inadequate ventilation systems, but does anyone out there wear a respirator/dust mask on a regular basis?

Justin-Bond-600px-New.jpg

Never have...

I know people that have been tested for lead and were OK...

These folks shoot almost everyday also inside...

Our club has a good vent system so that helps...

My first club had no real air intake and it got bad with only 1 or 2 people shooting indoors. I should have worn a mask!

It's part of why I quit that club after 24 years. They only talked about fixing it and never did anything during all those years.

Now spin forward some years from my quitting and I am speaking with the club's pistol chairman who told me that his lead levels were elevated to the point of "reportable"!!

At BR&P I did see one person once with a mask on. However the HEPA system in there creates negative pressure so that if it is working properly this should not be an issue at all.

Yeah, no. As much as I really wish I started using hearing and respiratory PPE much sooner than I did, can't say I've ever even considered it shooting.

Except the hearing part. I wear good hearing protection. Don't have much hearing left after running Motor Lifeboats for 14 years.

If I have to wear a particle mask to a gun range it's a sign that I shouldn't be there.

Nearly all the reports of shooters with lead level problems are inextricably linked to frequent use of inadequately vented indoor ranges. If you're going to get lead poisoning from shooting, that's how it's going to happen.

-Mike

If I have to wear a particle mask to a gun range it's a sign that I shouldn't be there.

Nearly all the reports of shooters with lead level problems are inextricably linked to frequent use of inadequately vented indoor ranges. If you're going to get lead poisoning from shooting, that's how it's going to happen.

-Mike

it can also be due to putting your fingers in your mouth, rubbing your eyes, biting your nails etc after handling bullets. I work with lead daily, so I have become very aware of all these possibilities in lead safety training.

I've seen guys at HSC wearing tactical belts and knee pads before, this can't be any worse.

tumblr_mihh7oktlG1rb28glo1_r1_400.jpg

When I shot Gallery on a regular basis and my lead levels were elevated, I wore a respirator rated for lead. Practice for me was 2 to three hours on a Saturday and match on Monday night. I also wore it when I shot the BUAS Indoor winter USPSA matches for reasons that are obvious to anyone that has been there.

If you have had your lead levels checked and have suffered the effects of lead poisoning, you do what you need to do to keep shooting and lower your exposure.

I used to see guys wearing masks in the old indoor range at Worcester Pistol & Rifle but since the new indoor range opened late last year the ventilation is superb. The building committee did a great job making sure that the ventilation was first rate.

Last edited:
No. I need to be paid to be places where a respirator is a good idea. So I don't shoot indoors.
If someone wants to be there , by all means do what you like.

I'd rather be too hot , too cold , bug bitten and wet in order to shoot outdoors. But I was raised by a pack of wolves , I'd rather be outside almost always.

I shoot thousands of rounds every day at an indoor range over a 10-12 hour period, 5 days a week, and I don't use a mask/respirator. If you have elevated lead levels from shooting a couple hours a day/week you should find another range immediately.

Most people are worried about breathing in lead particles, but it's the lead on your hands you should be worried about. Even if you can't see it, it's still there. How many times do you touch your face or rub your eyes at the range? EVer go out to eat immediately after a range trip? Use soap designed to remove lead.

Last edited:
I think I'de be more concerned when cleaning the guns after and letting the solvent soak in lead. I do wash my hands at the range before I leave with their special soap for lead.

Pink though? I think MFL has a system that recycles the air every 3-4 secs. That's what I overheard an employee saying anyways.

People are so funny when they protect themselves from risk. Next time I go to a stabbing scene I'll make sure I don't wear any gloves when I treat them in the ambulance.

I'm going to guess that you are too young to remember when no one wore gloves on the ambulance? Frankly the whole glove thing has gone overboard, some people put gloves on to answer the radio. But, I digress.

I shoot indoors, outdoors, and I cast and reload. My lead levels are nearly undetectable. My guess is that you absorb more lead from your drinking water than from shooting. Use common sense. Don't handle lead and then eat a sandwich, smoke, or heat it to 1,200 degrees.

-Mike

Yup, I used to shoot at one, lead only allowed indoors. I'd shoot ~150-200 rds CF and ~200 rds .22LR indoors once/week and every time I sneezed for 4 days, there was gross black crud! I was usually there by myself or perhaps 1 other person on this 16 position range. This was in the 1970s-80s and we didn't know better other than it couldn't be healthy. I finally stopped shooting at that range . . . they talked but did nothing about it.

When I found BR&P (HEPA system), I felt like I was in Heaven. NO such problems or concerns, well-maintained.

This is what I wear on a trip to the range, you can never be too careful!

radiationsuit

Suitable for my first club!

Back
Top Bottom